What's new

Question about tugging...

Hello everyone,

When I was shaving today as I usually do with my Rockwell 6s and plate 6, I felt som tugging on the underside of my chin... the razor stopped in its tracks, wasn't cutting, and then it "skipped" or "jumped" forwards. Of course I was left with some small weepers in that area. I have been noticing that this has been happening relatively frequently in this area with the 6s. I was wondering if I am experiencing the effects of improper blade clamping? Or could this phenomenon be explained with other variables such as blade sharpness and/ or technique / shaving angle?

I don't think it's the blade's fault, as I am using a Nacet for only the second time.

Would love to hear your opinions...

The whiskers around the chin are are some of the toughest ones. You didn't mention what you are doing for pre-shave prep. Getting these whiskers soaked with water before shaving makes them a lot easier to cut. Another possibility is the shaving angle, since the chin has a constantly changing angle around a radius, it can be easy to get it wrong, e.g. going too steep against the grain. Skipping might mean the razor did not complete cutting some whiskers, and then the blade deflected and sprung back.

The whiskers around the chin are are some of the toughest ones. You didn't mention what you are doing for pre-shave prep. Getting these whiskers soaked with water before shaving makes them a lot easier to cut. Another possibility is the shaving angle, since the chin has a constantly changing angle around a radius, it can be easy to get it wrong, e.g. going too steep against the grain. Skipping might mean the razor did not complete cutting some whiskers, and then the blade deflected and sprung back.
For preshave I washed my face with hot water and then applied proraso red preshave cream. I agree with you in regards to the angle... the hair under my chin tends to lie very close to the skin. I probably got too enthusiastic looking for that BBS.

For preshave I washed my face with hot water and then applied proraso red preshave cream. I agree with you in regards to the angle... the hair under my chin tends to lie very close to the skin. I probably got too enthusiastic looking for that BBS.

I'd suggest giving your pre-shave a little time to work. Maybe do some chores for for a few minutes, etc. Or you could shave right after getting out of the shower.

Instead of going straight against the grain, you can go against the grain in a more diagonal direction so there will be less resistance.

If the lather is "slippery" then what you describe would point to a blade not sharp enough.....; that is what I have noticed. I stop the minute a razor jumps and change blades. And of course make sure it's tight and aligned. Blades made in Russia are not great on QC....

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
A Nacet on shave 2 should still be in great shape. Pay attention to the razor being closed fully. You don't need to gorilla it (in fact, don't) but check to see it is finger-tight every shave. When this has happened to me it's usually because I unscrewed the razor head a bit after the last shave, and forgot to tighten it down.

I haven't had a bad lather in years, but if you are not using enough product or are using too much water, taking it beyond the breaking point in its hydration window that can also cause it.

I finish up my shave around the chin area, and with a cleft chin, whiskers growing every which way, I'm most present in the shave at that point. It's likely lather issues or the blade may not have been clamped down all the way. Filudo mentioned QC on Russian blades, but in the last 5 years or so, I think I've only had one bad blade that I knew the blade was for sure the culprit. I don't notice any QC issues with my Indian 7 O'Clock blacks or Nacets. Ever.

Top Bottom