What's new

Pomade similar to Crew Fiber?

Hey guys,

Been using Crew Fiber for a while now. I like it a lot because it has a strong hold and it doesn't make my hair greasy.

However, it does make my hair very coarse and sticky. Recently, the guy who cuts my hair told me he thinks it might be damaging my hair a bit and I should consider something else.

So does anyone have a recommendation for a good Pomade with a strong hold, that won't make my hair greasy, and will also condition my hair? Thanks in advance gents!

There's a great ongoing thread on this topic entitled "Renaissance of Pomade..." that lists a number of options, including water- and oil-based pomades such as Admiral, Reuzel, Royal Crown, etc. I recommend checking it out.

I was using American Crew Fiber for a very long time and nothing but. I got sick of the price and tried the Axe Messy Hair Paste a few months back and will never look back. Works just as well but is $7 vs $15 for just about the same amoung. Its like 3oz for AC and a bit over 2 1/2 for the Axe.

proxy.php

Bought a tub of Anchors Matte Finished Water based. I might buy a tub of Admiral Fiber. Look like quality stuff.

It's not just the price on the American Crew Fiber. I just think it's not that healthy for my scalp.

I'm a fan of Old Spice "Spiffy" pomade. It's about $7, available at Target, and works great for my hair style (very thick and coarse).

Got my Anchor's Teddy Boy Matte Wax in the mail and have been using it for a few days. Good product but I don't know if it's for me.

Pros:
-Excellent hold/shaping. A little better than Crew Fiber in this regard. All day hold. Weakens only a little.
-Ingredients are excellent for your hair. Only been using it for a few days but already I feel a dramatic improvement in hair health
-adds a good amount of volume and thickness to my hair which I like.
-washes off my hands a lot easier than fiber

Cons:
-has a light wet-sheen look to it that I don't particularly care for. Looks like I didn't wash my hair or something.
-has a cherry mint scent, that while not offensive, is not how I'd like to be smelling when I take out a young lady or whatnot. I am a man and would prefer to smell that way. I really wish companies would make unscented versions of their product. It goes away after about an hour so not a huge deal.

Got my Anchor's Teddy Boy Matte Wax in the mail and have been using it for a few days. Good product but I don't know if it's for me.

Pros:
-Excellent hold/shaping. A little better than Crew Fiber in this regard. All day hold. Weakens only a little.
-Ingredients are excellent for your hair. Only been using it for a few days but already I feel a dramatic improvement in hair health
-adds a good amount of volume and thickness to my hair which I like.
-washes off my hands a lot easier than fiber

Cons:
-has a light wet-sheen look to it that I don't particularly care for. Looks like I didn't wash my hair or something.
-has a cherry mint scent, that while not offensive, is not how I'd like to be smelling when I take out a young lady or whatnot. I am a man and would prefer to smell that way. I really wish companies would make unscented versions of their product. It goes away after about an hour so not a huge deal.

Don't shower :tongue_sm

Okay, so I just tried Imperial Barber Matte Pomade Paste. This is really good stuff. Much closer to American Crew Fiber than anything I've used thus far.

Pros
-Scent is mild and more akin to something I like
-adds good amount of volume and thickness to hair
-washes off hands/hair much easier than AC Fiber
-NO sheen/shine at all. Truly a Matte product. My hair retains its natural look, shine, and color.
-no nonsense packaging. Plain white tub. Not a big deal, but I like the simplicity of this.

Cons
-looking at the ingredient list, I wouldn't call this an "all natural" product in the way that Teddy Boy Matte Wax is. It is fairly healthy for your hair, however. Much more so than American Crew Fiber. It does contain alcohol (which I don't like).
-hold is decent. About the same as Fiber. Depending on the length of my hair it may/may not hold my bangs in place correctly. Short hair you should be fine, but longer hair it may give you trouble with the hold. Sometimes I have to use a bit of hair spray to get the bangs to hold correctly. Would be nice to get a better hold in a Matte product.

Overall, I like this product a lot, but if I need a stronger hold I'll def be going with Anchor's Matte Wax.

Up next will be Admiral Lite Hold Matte Clay when it comes back in stock...

Last edited:
I'm researching the exact same category. Been using Fiber for years & wanted to look at alternatives. Most pomades are very different, the challenge is matte with hold & not greasy.
Imperial Barber matte pomade paste is ok.
Didn't like Admiral Medium Hold Fiber Pomade; more generic pomade than fiber.
Looking at Hanz de Fuko next; two options I'm going to try; Quicksand and Claymation
Good luck, post up on the Clay options.

Pomade gets all the love, but there is another classic styling product that I think deserves more attention.

Hair tonics, such as Vitalis (with V7!), provide good hold without being greasy or having too much shine.

I think this is the perfect styling product for short, fine, thinner hair.

Bless you if you enjoy Vitalis, but I would rather not use a product that comes with a warning that it is flammable. In addition, alcohol tends to be drying. Ingredient list: SD Alcohol 40 , PPG 40 Butyl Ether , Water , Benzyl Benzoate , Fragrance , Dihydroabietyl Alcohol , D&C Yellow 10 (CI 74005) , FD&C Yellow 6 Aluminum Lake.

I use Royal Crown and love it.
Personally, I like to use quite a bit to start the week off, and add as the week goes on. I find that it's easier to style my thick hair this way. Also, while I shower daily I do not wash my hair daily. It gets washed once a week.
This stuff is cheap, has great hold and sheen, and does not leave your hair smelling like you just came from a perm.
Just my 2 cents!

After using these products for a few weeks, I have to say that far and away I like Anchor's Teddy Boy Matte Wax way way more.

1) It's much healthier for your hair. While Imperial Matte Pomade is better than American Crew Fiber, it really dries your hair out. I don't think I ever want to go back to using an alcohol based Pomade anymore.
2) The hold with Anchors is just so much stronger.

It's a shame they can't seem to make a pomade that does this with a true matte finish. I've also got some ODude's coming in tomorrow. It's supposed to be all-natural. I know it has shine to it, but I'm sure it's great for your hair.

mhassler23, did you get to try hans de fuko yet?

Still using Imperial Matte Pomade Paste - definitely less "gummy" than AC Fiber, dries in nice & light.
Haven't ordered any fo the Hans de fuko yet, but that's still next on my hit list.

So I sort of went nuts with my pomade ordering. I don't know how I'm ever going to use this stuff...

So I got 2x jars of O'Douds pomade. The water based and the original (oil-based). Both have really good ingredients and are very healthy for your hair. Both have a decent shine to them. The oil-based is slightly shinier than the original, and has a bit stronger of a hold. Neither are as strong of a hold as anchors, and I find that I like applying O'Douds first then a dab of anchors. The scents are great. Bay Rum (Original) and Rosemary-Bergamot (Water-Based).

I've got a jar of Hanz de Fuko quicksand inbound. Looking forward to trying it.

I'm a fan of Old Spice "Spiffy" pomade. It's about $7, available at Target, and works great for my hair style (very thick and coarse).

+1 works fairly well for me as well. I just have to use a little more product than I would like. But when I get it where I like it... I like it. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom