What's new

Planning on spending the day in Duluth Minnesota

I'm planning (not 100% done deal yet) to get out of the house and take a nice drive down to Duluth, MN. The fall colours are really nice to see.
I've been going there now and again my entire life and know the area well, but it's been many years since I just walked around and discovered the city.

Are there any hidden gems or must-see places to visit?

Likely I'll have lunch in Canal Park (the brewery is excellent) and hit the Costco (no Costco in my city) but I'll have lots of time to see things before heading home.

How long is your stay? A lot of what makes Duluth a favorite for the wife and myself is what's around Duluth; primarily focusing on a North Shore drive on Hwy 61.
The latest "find" I had was Hoops Brewing, a fabulous and impressive tap room located on Lake Drive (where the lift bridge is). Another place, a favorite for the wife, is PhoHolic, a Vietnamese restaurant. Parking is horrible, and it's often packed, but excellent food.

How long is your stay? A lot of what makes Duluth a favorite for the wife and myself is what's around Duluth; primarily focusing on a North Shore drive on Hwy 61.
The latest "find" I had was Hoops Brewing, a fabulous and impressive tap room located on Lake Drive (where the lift bridge is). Another place, a favorite for the wife, is PhoHolic, a Vietnamese restaurant. Parking is horrible, and it's often packed, but excellent food.
I'll have a look at those places. I'm just there for the day. Will likely leave right after dinner.

Forgot one thing, I'm coming down from the North, so I know exactly what you are talking about. It's a very nice drive, especially in the Fall.

Enger Tower would be on my list. If you're already in Canal Park, the Dewitt-Seitz building has some cute little shops. Last time I was there the coffee shop was nice but looking at it now, I think it's no longer there, although there is a coffee shop in the building. I also like crossing the bridge and driving down Park Point, but I'm weird that way.

I also like the train museum and the aquarium. Since you said you're coming from the north I assume you probably can get to a Sammy's pizza elsewhere, but we usually go there for the heck of it too, somehow it's better than the one down by us in the cities.

Responding to threads like this usually betray my lack of multi-dimensionality, but Blacklist Brewhouse offers axe throwing while you enjoy a pint or two; when my good buddy and I did it we thought it was the coolest thing on earth. Pickwick Restaurant and Pub is just up the road from there. Best walleye bites I've ever had. A short walk east from there would allow to to Fitger's Brewhouse and you could visit the small shops located there.

Top Bottom