What's new

Pajama knife

Anyone who has ever had to be taken to the emergency room in the middle of the night, had to evacuate because of a tornado or fire, knows the feeling of nakedness when out in their pajamas and no knife. However, no one wants to sleep with a big heavy knife, either. I started out using a Spyderco Ladybug and then switched to a Spyderco Dragonfly. Both are light weight and small. They are so unobtrusive that it is easy to forget they are in the pajama pocket and get washed.

Recently, I got a different sort of knife for a pajama knife. It is a Case Peanut with green synthetic scales. Surprisingly, the edge was nicely done, though not sharp enough for me. I took care of that, no problem. The fit and finish were really good, too. It is about the same weight as the Dragonfly, or tad less, but close.

Green Peanut.jpg

In the picture below, it is easy to see the size difference between the Dragonfly and the Peanut. Both have very slicey blades.
peanut size.jpg

Will going that much smaller be a handicap as far as blade goes? Nope. In this picture, it is easy to see that even though the blades are close to the same length, the Peanut actually has more cutting edge and useable blade.

Peanut cutting edge.jpg

I've lived with the rule "Always have a knife" my entire life....long before Gibbs came on the scene. I feel naked without one. I recommend a pajama knife for everyone.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A Case peanut is my EDC. I have no ENC, but if I am awakened in the
image.jpg
middle of the night and must flee, it will be in the pair of pants on the chair beside the bed.

Anyone who has ever had to be taken to the emergency room in the middle of the night,

I'd never actually thought about this aspect tbh. Because every time I've been to A&E in the middle of the night they've always had their own knives there, for things like: surgery &c. I didn't know that in countries without universal healthcare you had to 'bring your own'.

It's definitely a better system you've got there though. After all... why should my tax $$$ pay for other people's pyjama knives???

Last edited:
I'd never actually thought about this aspect tbh. Because every time I've been to A&E in the middle of the night they've always had their own knives there, for things like: surgery &c. I didn't know that in countries without universal healthcare you had to 'bring your own'.

It's definitely a better system you've got there though. After all... why should my tax $$$ pay for other people's pyjama knives???
Well, sometimes I have had to cut pills, and sometimes I've needed to cut an apple or other fruit. Also, and this is the least worry, when in the hospital you are very vulnerable.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A small Neck knife perhaps? They come as small as dogtags if needed.

The Dragonfly is a great knife but I wouldn’t feel comfortable sleeping with it neither IWB nor pocket.
This.

I do get the need, as we're frequently working in marine enviornments/shorts etc. No pockets and a necker knife is a great idea. Or yes, a Glock knife clipped to your suit, nobody cares if they get wet. But the necker is always there.

AA

Top Bottom