What's new

Not All Razors Are Created Equal

I was traveling last week on my motorcycle and opted not to bring shaving gear. After four days, I couldn't stand it, so I went to a small store and looked for a disposable razor. The store only had a safety razor that came with five blades, and I figured it would work even though it was expensive for what it was. The young lady mentioned that the store leans heavily towards sustainable products, and since I was desperate for a shave, I went for it. This turned out to be a razor-shaped-object, and gave me the absolute worst shave I have had in decades! Any disposable would have been a significant upgrade. I don't think the blades were particularly good, but the razor itself seemed to be the culprit. I would hesitate even to describe it as mild; it was more accurately described as ineffective. The brand was "Essence of Life," which should have been my first clue. It was a lot of work and required repeatedly going over the same spot to achieve anything resembling a shave. The good news is I didn't have any razor burn! Haha! If, by chance, you run across one of these razors, definitely save your money.

Attachments

• IMG_5496.jpg
    IMG_5496.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 48
I was traveling last week on my motorcycle and opted not to bring shaving gear. After four days, I couldn't stand it, so I went to a small store and looked for a disposable razor. The store only had a safety razor that came with five blades, and I figured it would work even though it was expensive for what it was. The young lady mentioned that the store leans heavily towards sustainable products, and since I was desperate for a shave, I went for it. This turned out to be a razor-shaped-object, and gave me the absolute worst shave I have had in decades! Any disposable would have been a significant upgrade. I don't think the blades were particularly good, but the razor itself seemed to be the culprit. I would hesitate even to describe it as mild; it was more accurately described as ineffective. The brand was "Essence of Life," which should have been my first clue. It was a lot of work and required repeatedly going over the same spot to achieve anything resembling a shave. The good news is I didn't have any razor burn! Haha! If, by chance, you run across one of these razors, definitely save your money.
That particular razor is sold on Aliexpress in different colours. You are not the first one to complain it is very ineffective.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Even traveling by motorcycle and packing very light, I'd take along a razor and basic kit just in case I wanted to plane off the road grit and bug guts. Lots of times I'd get home and unpack it unused. But as the old saying goes, a quick shave and cleaning your fingernails might get you into a nice cozy hotel to wait out a stormy night on the road. :)

O.H.

Top Bottom