What's new

Newbie Question on WTG/ATG

Still going though the beginners process of switching over to a straight razor.

I was wondering about WTG and ATG. While watching a bunch of shaves on you-tube I see that many people will do a WTG shave first then do an against the grain for a really tight shave.

Now to state in advance, I do have really course, thick hair and while shaving with disposals I do go both ways even with new razors to get it really tight

I decided to try doing both. First a WTG then a ATG and it was definitely a world of difference. My WTG shaves were good but not super tight and smooth. I do know my form is far from perfect so that might be some of it.

I do shave daily so this is not a three day growth getting cut down

As far as my razor, it is sharp and glides really well as far as I can tell. I can hear it cutting without any sticking

Is this just a normal thing being that I do have course hair or should I be able to get a really tight shave going with the grain with more practice?

Thanks in Advance
Dave

I’m never happy with just a WTG shave. Sometimes I’ll do it if I’m in a rush or my skin is irritated, but 90% of the time I do two passes, WTG then XTG. That gets me the same closeness as I would get with a 3-pass DE shave.

Maybe with more practice you’ll get the shave you want WTG only, but I think you’d be the exception.

I’m never happy with just a WTG shave. Sometimes I’ll do it if I’m in a rush or my skin is irritated, but 90% of the time I do two passes, WTG then XTG. That gets me the same closeness as I would get with a 3-pass DE shave.

Maybe with more practice you’ll get the shave you want WTG only, but I think you’d be the exception.

Much thanks on that. I kind of figured I would like the 2 shaves feel. I know I still have a long way to go with my technique though. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off

Top Bottom