What's new

Ming Shi blades = smooth

Ad Astra

The Instigator
With my *amazing* Ming Shi 2000S (Chinese clone/ripoff of a Merkur Futur) came a tuck of Ming Shi branded blades.

Some threw them away - a good idea if you got a Merkur blade with your Merkur razor - but I was curious.

Stuck one in a tri-slot Tech yesterday and got a good shave. (First use of a blade can have a "corking" effect; second use is best to judge).

But today's shave demonstrated the MS blade is smooth indeed- I rarely cut ATG, but got trouble free ATG shave today.

These blades are definitely good! Would re-buy, if possible ... may not be.

Anyone else try them?

AA

I have tried Baili, Yingjili, Rimei, & Boyou but, not Ming Shi. They are sharp & smooth for about 2-3 shaves and then Shoot The Moon.! The problem is they are asking around 15 Bucks shipped which is around what I can get GSB's for. With GSB I get 10 good shaves per blade. The Merkur blade gave me the worst case of Road Rash I have ever had.!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have tried Baili, Yingjili, Rimei, & Boyou but, not Ming Shi. They are sharp & smooth for about 2-3 shaves and then Shoot The Moon.! The problem is they are asking around 15 Bucks shipped which is around what I can get GSB's for. With GSB I get 10 good shaves per blade. The Merkur blade gave me the worst case of Road Rash I have ever had.!

10-4 that! Though someone suggested once that the poor shave one gets with the free Merkur blade is due to the user's inexperience at that point. I should go back and re-try the Merkur blade and see if that's true. Supposedly they are made in the same factory as "Harry's" blades.

Hm, you tired the Rimei. I got a $5 Rimei once and the blade it came with gave me a week of decent shaves.

full

Anyways. Must admit the Ming Shi blade - after "corking" once with my face - is giving good service.

AA

Glad to hear the Rimei blade worked for you but, as always YMMV as they say. The Merkur blade was super sharp but, it just doesn't work for me.

With my *amazing* Ming Shi 2000S (Chinese clone/ripoff of a Merkur Futur) came a tuck of Ming Shi branded blades.

Some threw them away - a good idea if you got a Merkur blade with your Merkur razor - but I was curious.

Stuck one in a tri-slot Tech yesterday and got a good shave. (First use of a blade can have a "corking" effect; second use is best to judge).

But today's shave demonstrated the MS blade is smooth indeed- I rarely cut ATG, but got trouble free ATG shave today.

These blades are definitely good! Would re-buy, if possible ... may not be.

Anyone else try them?

AA
They're available at AliExpress in Virginia Shaving products store.

10-4 that! Though someone suggested once that the poor shave one gets with the free Merkur blade is due to the user's inexperience at that point.

AA

I haven't tried them, but i would guess this is more or less the case. I've had similar experiences with Astra blades when i first started. Using them now, and getting my best shaves so far. I was a bloody mess first time i tried those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried one of the blades that came with my Mingshi 2000S
It did the job, but it didn't feel good so I changed it for a SuperMax Diamond Edge and felt the difference instantly

IMHO - they're adequate for purpose but I've got literally 100s of different blades at my disposal in open and sealed tucks, all of which are more user friendly than the Mingshi blade - so unless there's a zombie apocalypse and I'm desperate for a blade to use while I'm sitting in a bunker - I'm never likely to want to use a Mingshi blade !!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As different blades perform better (or worse!) in different razors, this combo just seems to work.

Harsh blades work well in mild razors; really aggressive razors demand a good quality blade - or else!

These Ming Shis are fine in a Tech.

AA

Still not dared mine as yet. Keep promising myself though. I'll try the them when I'm going though a, "I'm bored, I want something new," phase.

I tried an Apache blade in the Qshave Futur clone tonight. It was sharp and gave me a really good shave. I'll see how many quality shaves I can get from it.

I found the ming shi's to be amazingly smooth in both the futur clone and Merkur 34C.

The downfall with me and the blades are they are pricey at the moment but the packaging and performance are excellent in my opinion.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right, after six shaves - one full turn of the dice - I'm finally chucking the (first) Ming Shi blade. It probably has more shaves in it, but I throw them all away after six.

Perfectly smooth, no complaints- a blade to compare with any known good blade. One day I shaved without prep and those whiskers were like aluminum wire: cut 'em just fine.

SO if you're just getting a Ming Shi 2000S - and Maggard's has them now for $12 - consider using the tuck it comes with. Ain't nothing wrong with them.

AA

I will try them. I ordered a MingShi 2000S "backup razor" (because I love my current one) and it comes with 5 of these blades.

Top Bottom