What's new

Medium-Aggressive Showdown: Mühle R41 vs Maggard V3A - the definitive test !

Well, it's a clickbait title ;) But I am going to settle this issue once and for all - for myself at least...

Maggard V3A is, and has been since I bought it about eight months into my wet shaving journey, my favorite three-piece razor, and one of my top 2 (the other being Parker Variant). It's pretty efficient yet forgiving.

Recently, I pulled my 2019 (so the 'least" aggressive version) Mühle R41 out of storage where it was lost for four years, and had a nice honeymoon with it. Efficient, clean, easy.

However, it seems to me now that my shaves with V3A tend to be just a tiny bit closer... that is, the stubble seems to appear an hour or two later. But I may be imagining things...

So, this weekend, I will do a test. Using a fresh GSB or Nacet blade, I will shave the left side of my face with one razor, and the right with another, and compare the speed of stubble re-appearing. I will repeat this the next day on different sides, and then another day (I can squeeze six shaves out of a blade, but wouldn't want to do more).

Let's see which one wins...

Interested to see your thoughts. Is the V3A the same as the Razorock Mentor? They look similar but I don't know if they're actually the same. I hated my Mentor but I love my R41.

Interested to see your thoughts. Is the V3A the same as the Razorock Mentor? They look similar but I don't know if they're actually the same. I hated my Mentor but I love my R41.
I don't know if it's the same as Mentor. I do know that it's the same as Yintal Brass. I have two V3A and a Yintal (I did damage and then lost the top cap of my Yintal by accident, but they are identical). They are very good shavers, decent blade presence yet very forgiving. V3A is a gentler shaver than the latest iteration of R41, I am curious if it's also a tad more efficient.

Ok so Day 1. Mühle on the left, Maggard on the right. I figured it doesn’t have to be a fresh blade as long as it’s the same blade, so I used a GSB that was already on its 3rd shave.

R41 actually felt more comfortable than V3A while shaving, just a tiny bit. I may be instinctively applying less pressure to R41 because the “teeth” get scratchy with too much pressure. Also it’s lighter, vs the stainless steel handle on V3A. But as I said, the felt difference was minimal and both razors are a pleasure to use.

Now about two hours later, both sides of my face are clean and smooth. Will see how it is by 7pm.
IMG_4321.jpeg

Here's a suggestion to possibly continue your testing a little longer. After your second or third shaves with each razor, consider using the same handle on each razor head. Do a couple of shaves with the same handle & then switch & use the other handle for 2 or 3 shaves. That way you're evaluating both heads with the same handle. Handles can change the balance & pleasantness of a shave, so leveling the playing field might give you the best idea of which razor works best for you.

But be warned... I just might be pushing you ever-so-lightly toward the handle rabbit hole. Yes, there is one!

Well done with your write-ups. I've been enjoying reading your thoughts.

Here's a suggestion to possibly continue your testing a little longer. After your second or third shaves with each razor, consider using the same handle on each razor head. Do a couple of shaves with the same handle & then switch & use the other handle for 2 or 3 shaves. That way you're evaluating both heads with the same handle. Handles can change the balance & pleasantness of a shave, so leveling the playing field might give you the best idea of which razor works best for you.

But be warned... I just might be pushing you ever-so-lightly toward the handle rabbit hole. Yes, there is one!

Well done with your write-ups. I've been enjoying reading your thoughts.

Thank you.

You’re absolutely correct, testing them with the same handle is the logical next step. The first test was in the configuration that I am typically using them.

By the way, a day later (exactly 25.5 hours) the stubble feels exactly the same on both sides.

Well, once again there was no difference between the left and right sides of my face this morning.

My conclusion - these two razors seem to perform very closely. The results are almost indistinguishable.

As far as shaving comfort, I'd say V3A is smoother while at the same time having more felt blade presence. Both are comfortable shavers when using a sharp blade. R41 naturally makes me to use short strokes and low pressure, otherwise I can feel the OC "claws". With V3A I can get too careless as there's no negative feedback, it just glides.

Both razors clamp the blade really well. R41 bends the blade so hard that I have to pry it from the cap with my finger. The blade rigidity really helps with shave quality.

R41 has a long and dedicated following in the wet shaver community, not in small part because the 2011 model had the reputation of a "Face-Eater".

On the other hand, V3A is not nearly as well known, and it's a shame. In my subjective opinion, it is every bit as good as R41, perhaps even better in some ways (e.g. shaving comfort). And of course it costs 2.5 times less...

Intriguing! How is the blade alignment with the V3A head?
I have 3 copies - 2 Maggards (one was bought in 2019, another this year) and a Yintal. Well, half of a Yintal anyway - I lost the top cap.

None of them had any alignment issues.

I wonder if these issues were happening early on. Or they are just weeding out the bad samples.

I bought a V3A head two years ago. It has alignment issues.
The blade has to be centered or the shave will be inconsistent.

Interesting.

All I can say, I must've got lucky three times...

Although I do have a "method" of loading 3-piece razors that may negate alignment issues.

I put the cap top down first, then drop the blade on the cap, then put the base plate down, and hold the cap/blade/base assembly to the countertop while screwing in the handle from the top, then before I tighten them completely I turn it right side up. I may be centering the blade by holding it while screwing the handle.

I started doing it early on as I kept dropping the cap/blade/base when trying to lift it to the handle. But the only razor I've ever had alignment issues with is Razorok Slant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom