What's new

Injector PRESSURE

Hello.
After finding an actual picture from Schick Injector instructions showing the correct angle, I came across an older one talking about actually using mild pressure for better shaves, that it actually smooths the skin before the blade cuts it.
Does that apply to most or all Schick Injectors OR just the original ones?
Even though I knew from the forums that the correct angle was basically flat against the face, I have seen YouTubers actually use the things at a 30 degree angle and then say they got a bad shave lol.
But I think this is the first time my brain has registered using pressure with one, since that is the worst possible thing you can do with a DE.
1000003379.jpg

1000003343.png

You have to remember that this thing came out at a time when people all pretty much shaved with very light pressure. When they say 'bear down' they are not talking about pushing the way people have been enabled to do by 5- and 6-blade monster cartridges. They meant that you could apply some pressure because the way the head was designed.

Give it a go and see.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
You need a little pressure because they are so light. I have a vintage injector which is a little heavier than the L-types sold in the 1970's when I started shaving. But with the L-type you need a little light pressure, not too much, to get a proper shave. Don't overthink it, you'll figure out what light pressure is in one shave. People here often think to hard about something that should be almost as easy as breathing.

I've recently become enamored with the Henson AL13++, although I have a collection of maybe a dozen DEs and 3 Schick injectors, but the Schick is a favorite. It now occurs to me (AHA!) that Schick figured out what Henson did a long time ago. Get a set angle of shaving, hold the blade very tightly so it cannot flex (and they are thicker to boot!) and you get a GREAT shave. The Henson is a bit like having two Schick injectors tapes together with a fixed shaving angle but now you have two of them.

Henson ported the attributes that make Schick injectors so comfortable and efficient to the DE razor!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
A little pressure works great with them. Easy to use too much and either not cut anything or cut everything with such razors.

I monkeyed with mine (Schick E3) with variable success until the last time you posted that graphic. Before then, I had no idea how @Quaznoid did it nor how others said it felt “too easy.”

The depicted angle is pretty much exactly what I use. For the past several months I've used a Schick E2 exclusively. If I vary the blade angle to more steep, the shave will get somewhat more uncomfortable.

With the injector razor, I find there are areas best served by light, short, "choppy" blade strokes. In other areas I will use slightly more pressure. Once you dial the razor into your face, it will become second nature. You will soon know where you need to stay light and where additional pressure will benefit efficiency without creating irritation.

The E2 with a Chinese Schick blade easily lasts me several weeks of daily shaving, and for me is probably the best balance between smoothness and efficiency in any razor I've ever used. It has all my DE's languishing unused and neglected :(

I've experimented a little with this since I made the post.
If I position my index finger on the razor like the YouTuber Sicilian Shaver, it allows me to easily control the amount of pressure I need as shaving.
Weirdly enough, I was able to really "bear down" and not cause any irritation, which I was willing to get in order to test this.
However, just a mild bit of pressure is really all that was needed for a great shave, and it even seemed to make it smoother like the instructions suggested.
But that would have torn me up with a DE.
I'm really liking my Injectors lately 😃
1000003398.png

Top Bottom