What's new

I love synthetic brushes

At the outset, I must say in a joking tone that the current topic is provoked, in contrast to this one: I hate synthetic brushes
Now, I will briefly explain why I love synthetic brushes:

• Easier to maintain than all other materials.
  • They make the best foam, faster and easier than others.
  • They don't lose fiber, or if they do it's the exception, not the rule.
  • Wide selection of fiber manufacturers and materials.
  • Wide choice of shape, color and size of knots.
  • They do not need pre-soaking before use.
  • Dries faster than natural hair.
  • More durable in the long run.

These are just some of the main points of reference…

Besides synthetic brushes, I have owned two badgers, three boars and one horse.
As you can see in the picture below, I now only have synthetic brushes and a boar for variety, which I haven't used in almost a year, and probably will never use again.

To be as fair as possible, I must say that in addition to the badger, boar and horse brushes, I also removed several synthetic ones that I also did not like. So at the moment I have only left favorite brushes that are fully functional and constantly in my rotation. I can grab a brush with my eyes closed without worrying about my choice.

I'd love for you to share what your favorite synthetic brushes are and why you like them?

I also like synthetic brushes. I like them better than natural fibers for all of the reasons you mention, plus they are healthier. They don't carry disease as animal hair might do and is feared to do, and they don't grow mold. I got rid of all of my natural hair brushes except one boar. I thought I had gotten rid of it and found it in the back of my collection one day. I don''t use it.

I also like synthetic brushes. I like them better than natural fibers for all of the reasons you mention, plus they are healthier. They don't carry disease as animal hair might do and is feared to do, and they don't grow mold. I got rid of all of my natural hair brushes except one boar. I thought I had gotten rid of it and found it in the back of my collection one day. I don''t use it.
Your comment reminded me to add that the synthetic brush is ready to use immediately, without the need for breaking and repeated washing to remove the unpleasant animal smell.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I love synthetics, too. In my humble opinion they are the most effective brushes to lather up easily and abundantly hard triple-milled soaps. By the way, I just got this stunning baby yesterday.

Omega
Vintage Edition Elite

1000011300.jpg

I love synthetics also. I find they are the easiest to use and make the best lather for me. In fact when I use a shave stick, which I often do, I can't even get a boar brush to work. You can't beat a synthetic.
Here are two of my favorite brushes, a Muhle STF 25 mm knot and an Edward Jagger STF with a 25 mm knot.

Brushes 25mm knot.JPG

My favorite synths are Vielong Fibersoft. I got one on clearance a while back and I just bought another one as backup. It's a shame that they're no longer in the game. My other synths all work but none of them really spark joy the way these two do.

Whenever I find a useful product which is well made, well designed,
and reasonably priced;
I consider buying a lifetime supply.

I don't have confidence that my fellow consumers
will support quality products.

I love synthetics, too. In my humble opinion they are the most effective brushes to lather up easily and abundantly hard triple-milled soaps. By the way, I just got this stunning baby yesterday.

Omega
Vintage Edition Elite

View attachment 1895387
This is a very good looking brush. Greetings!
Since the node looks similar to the G7, can you do a comparison between the two, is the similarity only in appearance, or are the mechanical qualities similar as well?
Two of my brushes have G7 knots, which are great for lathering in a bowl, but too much backbone for lathering on the face.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This is a very good looking brush. Greetings!
Since the node looks similar to the G7, can you do a comparison between the two, is the similarity only in appearance, or are the mechanical qualities similar as well?
Two of my brushes have G7 knots, which are great for lathering in a bowl, but too much backbone for lathering on the face.
Sir, I am afraid this time I cannot help. The only synthetics I have had before this Omega Vintage Edition Elite are Simpsons, both with Sovereign and Platinum fibers. Once I test my new Omega (I have not yet) I can compare the Italian brush with the British ones.

Sir, I am afraid this time I cannot help. The only synthetics I have had before this Omega Vintage Edition Elite are Simpsons, both with Sovereign and Platinum fibers. Once I test my new Omega (I have not yet) I can compare the Italian brush with the British ones.
Such a comparison would still be useful, because I have the Simpsons, I can get an idea from your opinion.

Such a comparison would still be useful, because I have the Simpsons, I can get an idea from your opinion.
I have the CH3 Sovereign and I had the CH2 Platinum. I had one Omega Elite GT with the fibers of the Vintage series, just a bigger knot. The new Omega had more backbone than CHR 3 Sovereign and less than the CH2 Platinum. More backbone and scrubbier that the OMEGA EVO 2 as well.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I admit to being late to the synthetic game. Until about 2 months ago, the only synthetic brush I had was a Stirling Tuxedo. I love boars and badgers, too, I probably was using boar 50% of the time, badger 40% of the time and a synthetic 10% of the time until that time.

Then I got a PAA Amber AeroLite and later a Yaqi Mysterious Space tuxedo, and now I find myself reaching for those much, much more often. In the last couple months I think I've been reaching for a boar or badger about half the time, and a synthetic about half the time. They are quite nice. Just not having several I did not pay much attention to them until recently.

@Marco Just read the knot is new, deleted question.

I'm all synthetic now. I don't own a single natural hair brush anymore. Synthetics perform just as good and are basically maintenance free. Whatever shortcomings they may or may not have in comparison to natural hair is eliminated by the easy cleanup and maintenance for me. I also love synthetic brushes.

My bowl brush is a Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf. My face lathering brushes are a 24mm Mother Lode which I re-knotted into a Yaqi Sagrada Familia, and a 24mm Plissoft. Synthetics are fantastic now.

Yes, I do like my synthetic brushes, even though I still enjoy badger and boar brushes and have no intention of retiring them.

I don’t know when I tried the first synthetic brush (around 2006 maybe?), but I remember that I did not care for it at all. It felt more like a desperate attempt to prove that you could put synthetic fibres also into a shaving brush handle.

The situation changed when Mühle introduced the original Silvertip Fibre® synthetic. That was the first synthetic that I enjoyed using and I felt that it was lightyears ahead of the competition, including Mühle’s own black fibre brushes that I had found disappointing as well.

Since then, many worthy contenders have appeared and some low-cost brushes punch way above their weight.
There are still some duds out there and I believe one still needs to do one’s homework when buying a cheap synthetic, but buying from a reliable seller with a generous return policy will reduce the risks.

B.

I've posted some of these thoughts previously and share again here. My first brush when returning to using DE was about 10 years back. It was a "custom" handled badger (not great quality) from Australia. Why I purchased something off of ebay from that far away is a bit of mystery. It look lovely in the photos and the handle is quite nicely done.

That said, not long after getting the brush and using it several times a week, the cynoacrylate finish began to chip at the base. I never left it wet or laying in water. You can see in the photo some of the remaining cynoacrylate, which is adhered pretty solidly. I think the handle is tiger wood and was quite lovely with the higher gloss finish. Still a nice piece of wood.

At the time I contacted the maker and much to his discredit blew me off. I've since peeled nearly all the finish off. I do not use the brush but on rare occasions, the last of which was a few months back. Quite frankly I dislike the brush very much: floppy when wet, somewhat a pain to raise a lather with, not an enjoyable textural experience; it sucks. Perhaps I'll attempt to remove the badger and replace it with a synth knot: not sure how I'll go about extracting the badger...? Anyone got any tips?

On the other hand I've two PAA brushes I really enjoy using: an Amber Aerolite (24mm) & a Doppler (26mm). I prefer the larger knot size on the Doppler over the Amber Aerolite, though I really enjoy the color and translucent quality of the Amber. I use them pretty much equally.

So for my DE journey, synth is the way to go for many if not all of the reasons already noted.

Attachments

• 20240818_132331.jpg
    20240818_132331.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom