Henson Razor Club.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Henson Al13 V2 +++
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Prep: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Oil Soap: Stirling Unscented with Beeswax
View attachment 1863862

Bolzanos have the worst drop-off in quality between shaves I've ever experienced. First use was OK, not good, but acceptable. The second use was in my top-3 worst shaves ever, though. Didn't even bother with the second pass. Now I'm in that awful state where I have razor burn and patchy stubble everywhere. You can get everything else right, but one suboptimal shave component and you might as well be shaving with the 25 year old wet/dry Norelco. Ugh 🫤
I'm curious. Was the Bolzano the German made or Egyptian? I have the old German ones. I like them. I'm usually a big fan of Lord blades. I haven't tried the new ones.

Last edited:
Afternoon shave today

Pre Shave:Warm water, TOBS Pre-Shave Gel with a drop of Jojoba oil
Razor:Henson AL13 v2 mild
Blade:Tatra Platinum (2)
# Days Growth:2
Soap/Cream:MacDuff's Aspen Parkland
Brush:Simpson's Duke 2 Best Badger
Post Shave:Cold water, Thayers, Proraso White Balm
Weepers:0
Nicks/cuts:0
Irritation:0
Sharpness:9
Comfort:8
Face:BBS
Neck:DFS+

Close shave although I didn't lather the soap well (too much water). So it was less comfortable than I expected from previous MacDuff's use. A little bit of sting.

Shave 06-17-24.jpg

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I take blood thinners so I have to be careful shaving since I'll just bleed and bleed if I nick myself. I tried the AL++ after seeing recommendations here, and after the first shave haven't had a nick for over a year. I recently got my AL taken by the TSA, so I bought the Ti22 in the same aggression. It's the perfect razor for daily life. Shave face and head in shower every morning, takes only a minute longer than with a Gillette Fusion 5 blade.

WHAT?! They cannot do that. If you had a blade in it, they should have confiscated the BLADE, not the razor! It's not against TSA regs to carry DE razors on planes. I'd have screamed bloody murder and gotten all the way to the top TSA official at that airport and taken his/her name and complained. That's ridiculous.

SOTD: 06/17/2024

Razor: Henson Mild Aluminum
Blade: Feather New Hi-Stainless, 4th use
Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Bowl: Dragon Arts Bowl
Soap: Henri Et Victoria Cognac And Cuban Cigars Croap
Balm: Henri Et Victoria Cognac And Cuban Cigars Balm
Fragrance: Nautica Voyager EdC

2 day growth shave. Good shave this morning. Still getting comfortable with the Henson but I think it’s a keeper. I did get 2 nicks which is unusual for this razor but must have just dropped in with the wrong angle. Love the C&C soap scent that lingers with the balm. All in all a good shave.

WHAT?! They cannot do that. If you had a blade in it, they should have confiscated the BLADE, not the razor! It's not against TSA regs to carry DE razors on planes. I'd have screamed bloody murder and gotten all the way to the top TSA official at that airport and taken his/her name and complained. That's ridiculous.

The TSA said they don't remove blades from razors. They gave me the option to take my bags back out, throw away the blade, and go back through customs again. My connecting flight was taking off in 30 mins. I didn't have time.

I upgraded to a Ti ++ so I'm not complaining much since it was partially my fault for not disassembling.

Pre Shave:Warm water, TOBS Pre-Shave Gel with a drop of Jojoba oil
Razor:Henson AL13 v2 mild
Blade:Tatra Platinum (3)
# Days Growth:2
Soap/Cream:Highland Springs Barbershop (sample)
Brush:WCS Synthetic
Post Shave:Cold water, Thayers, Nivea and Jack Black Cooling Gel
Weepers:1
Nicks/cuts:0
Irritation:0
Sharpness:7
Comfort:7
Face:DFS
Neck:DFS

Surprisingly, the blade's sharpness tanked this evening on only its 3rd use. In addition, my prep was rushed and I didn't bring out the best in the soap. I held back from going for full BBS for fear of irritation.

Shave 06-19-24.jpg

Top Bottom