What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

Hello to everyone, I think I need some help from the masters.
I have been shaving my head for the past 5-6 years with gillette mach 3, always two passes wtg and atg, zero irritations or anything else but they are too expensive so I had to quit. Recently I bought a Leaf Thorn and I am trying blades, I used: Leaf, Feather, Permasharp, Nacet and GSB, so far I had the best results with the Nacet but still my big issue is when I am going atg especially on the back of the head, I feel so much resistance that I have never felt with the mach 3 and I have many irritations, I use alum stone and an after shave balm. I shave every other day (when I was using the mach 3 I was shaving every 3-4 days, could that be the issue?) I use preshave I don't apply much force on the razor, I try to keep the angle right, what am I doing wrong? Is it me, the razor, the blades?
Thanks in advance!
My suggestion is try the leaf three blade razor. If you don’t want buy that and even if you do, try the derby premium blades. I have had great shaves with those.

Also if you are shaving in or after the shower, try the Jack black scalp scrub. For me that sets me up for a great shave.

My suggestion is try the leaf three blade razor. If you don’t want buy that and even if you do, try the derby premium blades. I have had great shaves with those.

Also if you are shaving in or after the shower, try the Jack black scalp scrub. For me that sets me up for a great shave.
It's in my future plans to buy the Leaf, I bought the thorn because I also shave my neck.
I will try the Derby too!
Thanks a lot!

Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Hardware
RazorFeather AS-D2
BladeGillette 7 O’Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green) (1 / 10) [4]
BrushSemogue Pegasus Boar

Software
PreStirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherStirling Mix* [21]
PostGabel’s Bay Rum

Rating
10 / 10

Notes
Now that I’ve really dialed in technique with the AS-D2 on my face, it performed just as well on my head. I probably wouldn’t try it with more than a couple days’ growth, but it did good work with what I fed it this morning.

* Sheep; Naked & Smooth (Sample); Eucalyptus Mint (Sample).

Preshave: Hot towel
Lather: Lockhart's Goon Grease
Razor: Rex Envoy with Wizamet Super Iridium (2nd use)
To the rescue: Leaf 3-blade with Shark Platinum half blades (3rd use)
Shave: Started with the Envoy. I really want to like this razor. Like a midlife crisis guy wanting to like his shiny new Corvette but finds himself having to crawl in and out of it, can't cross railroad tracks, and finds no room for his golf gear. Lazer shaved a good square inch of flesh with this fireball, not quite skull deep. Quickly parked the 'Vette and pulled out the trusty F-250, the 3 blade Leaf loaded with Shark Platinums that I've been test driving for upcoming Shark Week. The Leaf finished the headshave with boring efficiency.
Post shave: Alum block to get the bleeding to stop. Then Speick aftershave splash (quite possibly the best aftershave I've ever used).
Result: Glass smooth dome. One sore spot that's gonna leave a mark. And valuable lesson learned.

Thursday, June 20, 2024

Hardware
Razor1958 Gillette Tech
BladeGillette 7 O’Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green) (1 / 10) [6]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PreStirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherStirling Mix* [22]
PostGabel’s Bay Rum

Rating
10 / 10

Notes
The Tech really did the job. Also I’m starting to wonder if the 7 O’Clock Permasharp might be due a little more love around here. I’ve had consistently excellent shaves this week, on this first one from the tuck. I don’t find myself thinking about the blade at all. But maybe that’s just the sign of it.

I’ve noticed that this sub-forum has slowed down a bit…one or two regular posters have been absent. Hope all is well.

Last Sunday I went with my Henson++ and a fresh perma-sharp blade. It was much like my previous shave. BBS smooth with a couple/few weepers. BBS stuck around for over 12+ hours.

One thing that I noticed though is that I had several bumps and a couple of pimples on my head. I haven’t seen that since I started using the Karve Bison.

So today I went back to the Bison with a perma-sharp blade, and it was shaving bliss. No weepers or irritation…just a great BBS shave. It might not stay BBS as long but that’s ok. It’s just such a great razor to use.

I think it’s safe to say that the Bison has taken the top spot for me.

I’ve noticed that this sub-forum has slowed down a bit…one or two regular posters have been absent. Hope all is well.

Last Sunday I went with my Henson++ and a fresh perma-sharp blade. It was much like my previous shave. BBS smooth with a couple/few weepers. BBS stuck around for over 12+ hours.

One thing that I noticed though is that I had several bumps and a couple of pimples on my head. I haven’t seen that since I started using the Karve Bison.

So today I went back to the Bison with a perma-sharp blade, and it was shaving bliss. No weepers or irritation…just a great BBS shave. It might not stay BBS as long but that’s ok. It’s just such a great razor to use.

I think it’s safe to say that the Bison has taken the top spot for me.
Which other razors do you have that the Bison just topped?

My go to head shave and beard shape up travel kit.

No issue with the Henson ++ with feather blade. BBS with only one nick behind the ear

Attachments

• IMG_9458.jpeg
    IMG_9458.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Saturday, June 22, 2024

Hardware
Razor1958 Gillette Tech
BladeGillette 7 O’Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green) (1 / 10) [9]
BrushSemogue SOC Badger (Cherry)

Software
Pre-
LatherStirling Mix* [24]
PostGabel’s Bay Rum

Rating
10 / 10

Notes
I’ve really enjoyed the blade-forward feel of the Tech for the last couple of head shaves.

Leaf razor, all three variations of the Oneblade razor (absolute worst razors), Proof razor, all three aggressions of the Henson razors, Winning razor v2 (just as bad as the Oneblade razors…such a harsh and uncomfortable experience) and then the Bison.
Good to know! I went from the Rockwell 6C (plate 4) to the RazoRock Game Changer and Lupo lines. I got awesome shaves from the 6C but was itching to try out a stainless steel razor and went with the Game Changer .84SB. Liked that so much I kinda went on an ordering frenzy on the Italian Barber website. Also got the .76SB and .68OC plates for the Game Changer and the .58SB, .72SB, .72OC, .95SB plates for the Lupo as well as the Lupo Aluminum. Surprisingly, I think the Lupo Aluminum is my overall favorite of the bunch, and that got me curious about trying other aluminum options. I’ve heard very few bad things about the Bison so far.

Good to know! I went from the Rockwell 6C (plate 4) to the RazoRock Game Changer and Lupo lines. I got awesome shaves from the 6C but was itching to try out a stainless steel razor and went with the Game Changer .84SB. Liked that so much I kinda went on an ordering frenzy on the Italian Barber website. Also got the .76SB and .68OC plates for the Game Changer and the .58SB, .72SB, .72OC, .95SB plates for the Lupo as well as the Lupo Aluminum. Surprisingly, I think the Lupo Aluminum is my overall favorite of the bunch, and that got me curious about trying other aluminum options. I’ve heard very few bad things about the Bison so far.
The Bison is such a great razor. It’s is so smooth, yet efficient at the same time. I can’t recommend it enough.

The Bison is such a great razor. It’s is so smooth, yet efficient at the same time. I can’t recommend it enough.
I’ll interested to try it, I’m kinda worried it’ll feel redundant with the Lupo Al, but I won’t know until I try it I suppose. I have the Timeless Al on my list as well but I’m worried it’ll be too mild for my liking.

I’ve been eyeing the Wolfman Guerilla Al and Karve CB Al since they both have different base plate options. But now we’re looking at over $100 for an aluminum razor that may or may not work better for me than the Lupo Al.

Top Bottom