What's new

Fountain Pen Revolution 14k EF flex nib - any good

Looking at the Fountain Pen Revolution 14k EF Flex nib to put on my Conklin Duragraph.

Does anyone have information on this nib for quality, smoothness of writing, ink flow, or other?

I have the FPR steel flex nib and the steel ultra-flex nib. I would recommend those with an ebonite feed. They are fairly smooth, but no EF nib will ever be as smooth as a medium or broad nib. The Ebonite feed does a good job of keeping up with the nib.

I don't have experience with their gold nibs, but I don't think flexing any gold nib is a great idea. The steel UF nib produces line variation with minimal pressure. If you spring the nib, which is unlikely to happen with their design, you just buy another one. Gold is too soft and a little too much pressure will spring the tines. Fixing that might cost you about as much as buying a new nib.

Looking at the Fountain Pen Revolution 14k EF Flex nib to put on my Conklin Duragraph.

Does anyone have information on this nib for quality, smoothness of writing, ink flow, or other?

The key word is Flex.

Conklin nibs are as good as most for the qualities that you seek but they do not flex. For the sake of clarity flex means to some, an ability of the nib to respond to pressure to produce a variation in the width of the written line. If that is what you want then that is your choice but a flexible nib is not for everyone. For example, I have been a fountain pen user for many years and flex nibs are not for me and trust me, I have tried and tried with the best of them. Fun for 10 minutes but after that I am reaching for something ordinary and all because I want a pen that can write quickly and without any fuss, for line variation I chose an oblique nib.

If I had to generalize I would say that most flex nibs are not that smooth and the ink can struggle to keep up the nib, at least when compared to a regular M nib.

Top Bottom