What's new

Diptyque's Vetyverio (Vetiver) EDT

I really like both Creed Vetivers (Original and 1948) but dislike Guerlain Vetiver and wanted to see how Diptyque's Vetiver compared? Thoughts?

Vetyverio Notes: mandarin orange, grapefruit, lemon, bergamot, vetiver, carrot seed, apricot, nutmeg, clove, ylang ylang, Turkish rose, geranium, cedarwood, musk

I really like both Creed Vetivers (Original and 1948) but dislike Guerlain Vetiver and wanted to see how Diptyque's Vetiver compared? Thoughts?

Vetyverio Notes: mandarin orange, grapefruit, lemon, bergamot, vetiver, carrot seed, apricot, nutmeg, clove, ylang ylang, Turkish rose, geranium, cedarwood, musk

I actually just got a sample of the Vetyverio thrown in with a purchase from Beauty Habit.com. I tend to go the opposite way, liking the Guerlain and say MPG Route Vetiver and Occitane! and not being blown away by the Creed--not disliking it though. I would say (if I recall correctly, I will try to check) the Vetyverio is more toward the Guerlain, with more floral and sweetness going on in it than the Guerlain. The vetiver less the center of it all. Given you style preferences might want to try (if I recall correctly, I will try to check it, too) the PdN Vetiver, or, if you can find it, Floris Vetiver.

EDIT: Strike the PdN Vetyver. Has lots of cumin in it, so more exotic!

Last edited:
I purchased two small sample vials because I've recently been re-bitten by the Vetiver bug, hoping Diptyque would have something to offer. My only experience has been with L`Occitane Vetiver, which is very very grassy and outdoorsy to me. Earthy. I'm sniffing the the Diptyque right now and yes, it's waaaaaaaay more floral. Compared to the L`Occitane, I'm not getting any Vetiver at all. It may be unisex, but it veers more toward a feminine scent to my nose. You've got to be pretty close to smell it, too.

I'm not impressed at all. It's a "will never buy." I'm still a Diptyque fan, though. I looooooove Tam Dao and Philosykos and will buy those again and again.

At the time of my posting, I'd ONLY had L'occitane to compare it to, and they are worlds apart. Since then, I've purchased a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver and while there is much more in common between the Guerlain and Diptyque, I still think that the Diptyque is more floral, more "perfumey" if that makes sense. Have you given Guerlain a whiff?

At the time of my posting, I'd ONLY had L'occitane to compare it to, and they are worlds apart. Since then, I've purchased a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver and while there is much more in common between the Guerlain and Diptyque, I still think that the Diptyque is more floral, more "perfumey" if that makes sense. Have you given Guerlain a whiff?

Yes...I bought a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver and hated it, sold it on BST. I was curious because I had a coupon for 20% off Diptyque products.

Did not like it very much. I was expecting some thing new.I prefer the sublime Lalique's ENCRE NOIRE ( the best vetiver IMHO ), VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE, Lorenzo Villoresi's VETIVER, Annick Goutal VETYVER or Etro's VETYVER

I've only had a small sample of the Diptyque version of vetiver and it's been a while, but as I recall it seemed to be more of a citrus blend with vetiver very notable but in the blend, not front and center. It certainly didn't have the strong grassy, soapiness of Guerlain, nor the dark smokiness of L'Occitane. I agree with Roberto that Lalique's Encre Noire is at least one of the best examples of a straight forward (not dark & smoky, not too soapy, just mildly sweet & grassy) vetiver, and it has one of the longest wear times of any cologne I've tried. i can still smell it after 12 to 13 hours, and I usually only get 4 to 6 hours on most (other than the shorter lasting citrus scents) and maybe 8 to 10 on the longer lasting scents.

Is this the Lalique Encre Noire that you're talking about?

proxy.php

I love Diptyque's Vetyverio, I find it has much more in common with Creed's Original Vetiver than anything else but the citrus is more muted than Creed's and the wood in Diptyque's gives it a nice masculine feel to my nose.

Encre Noire is my all time favorite though. I agree with Randy on the longevity but I would classify Encre as dark and smoky myself - gotta' love YMMV.

If you like Creed's vetiver scents, that doesn't really mean you will like vetiver scents in general, because the Creeds have very, very little (if any) vetiver notes in them. You may find you actually dislike vetiver and could still like the Creeds.

I have not tried the Diptyque, so I can't really say how it might compare to the Creeds.

I love Diptyque's Vetyverio, I find it has much more in common with Creed's Original Vetiver than anything else but the citrus is more muted than Creed's and the wood in Diptyque's gives it a nice masculine feel to my nose.

Encre Noire is my all time favorite though. I agree with Randy on the longevity but I would classify Encre as dark and smoky myself - gotta' love YMMV.

I'm wearing a sample of Diptyque's Vetyverio today and I like it very much!! I'm seriously thinking about purchasing it but would like to try the Encre Noire first. I'm also a huge fan of Creed's Vetiver scents.

Love vetiver! Have the Encre Noir and l'Occitane coming any day now. I was also encouraged by the notes of the Diptyque. Any other comparisons?

I really like the L'Occitane vetiver, and think the Guerlain is too sweet. In fact, I like how Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver starts, but it ends up too sweet again for me. This thread reminded me of a sample of Diptyque Vetyverio that I have lying around, but now I'm not hoping for much from it. Sounds like the Encre Noir may be more to my liking.

Top Bottom