What's new

Derby Premium vs La Toja

I just got a tub of Derby Premium for $5.45 free shipping on Walmart. The pic was of it in the green tub. I was sent a black tub of Premium. I was wanting the green tub. I don't know why, I just wanted what was in the pic.

I think this stuff smells awful like raw unrefined tallow or something. It also is a heavy almost greasy-like soap that didn't want to rinse off my hands. I can't say I like anything about it. The shave left me underwhelmed and I didn't find it protected my face very good at all. Granted I'm using a new Derby blade that isn't broken in yet, but it really scraped my face. Probably my worst shave yet since I got serious about getting good shaves in the year I've been on here.

My La Toja stick on the other hand holy cow that stuff works great. Real happy with it. Doesn't smell half bad and makes a nice protective foam.

I was wondering if anyone else had a disappointment with the black Derby soap in the tub? IMO the scent and performance are sub-par.

Also I'd like to know your experience with La Toja sticks. This may become my go-to.

I've only tried Derby shaving sticks. Similar to Arko though they are a harder soap that can't be readily molded into a puck like Arko can.

I’ve only tried the green stick derby. But was curious about the premium.

Like Lane101 I find the Derby green to perform similar to Arko. It works well for me.

I wasn’t all that wowed by La Toja when I first started using it. But after a dozen or so shaves. (I think it’s due to brand new harder shave sticks needing a few shaves in them, to apply more soap easier) I started getting some solid shaves with it. I like it’s scent as well and my face doesn’t get any irritation from it.

Had a great shave with La Toja this morning. 👍

Last edited:
I like La Toja. It is one of my favorites and I stock piled a number of sticks. The new owners have done away with the wonderful La Toja shaving creams and decided to just focus on beard care. Stupid. Anyway, I fear the stick will be next. I love La Toja and it could be my only one, push come to shove.

Top Bottom