What's new

Changing nibs on the fly and posting fountain pens

I recently loaned one of my piston filled fountain pens to a friend for a few notes and forgot to mention not to post this pen, because the cap threading may catch on the piston knob and potentially create a big mess. Of course this was entirely my fault.

I can tell you guys, I really had a hard time to get the cap off without turning the piston knob and spraying ink all over the table and the people sitting around. With some effort I was able to get the cap off without flooding my surroundings with lovely blue ink.

Here's my question. Do you guys have fountain pens which you don't or shouldn't post because of potential ink disasters? Or are you generally posting or not posting, no matter the pen?

In my case, I generally like to post unless it's a pen with cap threading which easily can jam into either the piston knob or the ink shut off valve knob. For me that is the Narwhal Schuylkill (piston) which had this problem I mentioned above and Opus 88 Koloro (shut off valve) where the threading of the cap and the threading of the valve knob might catch. Other piston fillers like the Pilot Custom Heritage 92 or Pelikans don't have this issue in my experience and can be posted without any worries.

I also realized that the Bock B nib on the Narwhal doesn't write that well and I decided to install the original F nib on the fly (i.e. with ink still in the pen). I used my ink rag to pull the nib and feed out of the pen, aligned the new nib on the feed and pushed both back in. I had to use a brass sheet to increase the gap between the tines to make the pen write though, but after that everything was quite smooth.

Do you change your nibs "on the fly" or do you flush the pen and change nibs, if at all, when the pen is clean?

I prefer to post, but I wouldn't post a pen that is not designed to post; eg., where the cap locks onto the piston knob. That is a design flaw, as far as I am concerned.

Yes, I've changed nibs on filled pens. It is not ideal, but if you don't mind ink on your fingers, it is not a big deal.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I only have two pens. My Cross Apogee requires what I consider an excessive amount of force to post the cap, otherwise the cap remains loose and can turn while in use, which I find irritating. The cap of my Pelikan M600 does not interfere with the piston filler but with both pens I prefer to write unposted as I find them better balanced that way. I have never changed a nib for another, although I have removed my Cross Apogee nib for cleaning when the pen was skipping; in that case I flushed the pen beforehand.

posting or not depended on the pen and the balance/weight of that pen. maybe 50-50 on all the pens I've used.

I don't tend to swap nibs and only have... 3 that I could easily. and I could swap them as a section or nib and feed unit. I'd do it with a paper towel into a water bath if it was loaded. and likely still end up with some ink on my fingers from bleed through of the paper towel.

I prefer to post my pens if possible. Some just don't allow it like the B&B Edison Herald Grande.
I have not considered there could be issues with piston fillers. I only have a few and rarely use them.

I have not swapped a nib yet.

Top Bottom