What's new

Brotherhood of Barber Scents (BOBS)

What is your favorite barbershop scent? Elaborate in a post.

• Pinaud-Clubman

• Proraso

• Floid

• Old Spice

• Myrsol

• Fine

• Bay Rum

• Aqua Velva

• Tabac

• Lucky Tiger

• Jeris Osage Rub

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I thought about Booster, but it was in a plastic bottle, and I've had a few problems with plastic in a cargo hold.

And the cap is not exactly easy to secure, either. It's like a shampoo bottle where pressure would pop it open.

And so...I will please a certain section here...I bought my first bottle of Myrsol, Blue to be specific. I'm getting to know it.

It's too bad that Floid blue doesn't come in a smaller bottle. I don't really have the space for a 400ml bottle.... So if I got for another blue, it'll probably be the Myrsol. Still liking it after few days of contemplation? Am I missing out if I already own Aqua Velva Ice Blue (and Master Blue)?

Last edited:
I haven't experienced (yet) many of these scents, but when I started DE shaving about 18 months ago and bought a bunch (way more than I needed) of product it was Clubman Pinaud Vanilla and TOBS Shaving Shop that triggered "barbershop" memories for me. I only have a few memories of going to the barber when I was a kid as my dad stopped going when I was still quite young, but these 2 scents say "shaving" to me.

I'm really enjoy g the Floïd, a nice talc smell when dry.

$image.jpg

Today it was Pinaud Clubman Original to finish my shave. A good friend in the USA, who first introduced me on the this great lotion, always says "Pinaud Clubman Original is the King of Barbershop Aftershaves". How to disagree? It's AMAZING.

When I was growing up nothing said "barbershop" like Clubman--always the talc after the straight on the back of the neck. Can't get my SWMBO to like it either. :sad:

Another is the (original formula) Old Spice, which was always on the shelf at the baby sitter's, and which I could not pass without pulling out the little dingus and taking a whiff.

SWMBO says I like "old man" scents. And a good thing, too, for I am an old man.

Though they are not aftershaves, would like to recommend the TOBS Shaving Shop cream and the Stirling Spice, Clubman, and Barbershop scented soaps. All are right up my alley, and might be for others of this persuasion. :thumbup1:

I still like it. I cannot yet describe it, but using it daily whilst in NYC.

And the cap is not exactly easy to secure, either. It's like a shampoo bottle where pressure would pop it open.

It's too bad that Floid blue doesn't come in a smaller bottle. I don't really have the space for a 400ml bottle.... So if I got for another blue, it'll probably be the Myrsol. Still liking it after few days of contemplation? Am I missing out if I already own Aqua Velva Ice Blue (and Master Blue)?

Whats the master blue like. I've seen it?

ive made room for two bottles and a atomizer for Floïd Blue

$uploadfromtaptalk1401590039309.jpg

Master Blue is very much like AV. Similar scent but less potent. Like AV, it contains menthol, but I find it to have a medicinal quality. Like Vicks a little bit.

The above pic is a 1oz sample bottle, purchased from Appleton barber supply. They have a nice selection of sample size Master products.

As for the Floid Blue space issue...sadly, I have no counter space. All my stuff goes in my medicine cabinet, or is packed away in my closet.

Last edited:
I've spent a week with Myrsol Blue now. Today, before heading home, I went back to Floid Mentolado Vigoroso. Right now, FMV is my favorite AS. Floid Genuine is next. For me, Myrsol Blue is missing that powdery feel. It may be my shortcoming.

Hey, Myrsol guys...do you get the powder? Should I try another besides Blue?

When I get home, I should have some glass bottles waiting. I want to decant my Clubman scents and see what happens.

Pierce

A battle royale is what I remember of barber shop scents growing up. Usually cigarette and cigar smoke or dirty ashtrays as you entered then was the smell of newsprint. The better smells weren't winning yet. Then came the chair, the leather, the Barbicide, the oil from the clippers all topped off with Clubman after shave emanating from the counter top behind the barber. The better smells were gaining ground. Just as everything came winding down the champion appeared - Clubman Talc. That great powdery Clubman smell getting smacked around your neck. Some days you would swear the barber thought he was swatting imaginary flies with the brush or maybe he hated cutting kids hair. As the cape came off and you exited the chair that Clubman Talc scent followed you all the way out the door. Clubman Talc had won the battle.

Enter me in please.

I am home for two days. A bottle of Fine American Blend was waiting. My first reaction...this is the best smelling barbershop scent I have ever owned. $001_wub-2.gif$001_wub-2.gif$001_wub-2.gif It's going to Chicago with me this week, so...like Myrsol Blue, I might not like it as much after a week, but right now, I am in love.

I'm not that good at descriptions, but: strong alcohol sting; citrus (orange?); menthol (peppermint?); powder.

Last edited:
Ordered Fine Italian Citrus so I can compare my pedestrian analysis to Marco's well-honed senses. :thumbup:

I decanted my Clubman...and I must agree with Marco...it is terrific. That said, I am not yet ready to say it is better than Fine American. But man, I cannot lose.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Ordered Fine Italian Citrus so I can compare my pedestrian analysis to Marco's well-honed senses. :thumbup:

Pierce, just used Fine's Italian Citrus this morning after the Alum block and a cold water rinse. Although not a barbershop type lotion, to me this is a great cologne type aftershave. It matches Acqua di Parma Colonia VERY well. And AdP Colonia is my signature fragrance. :thumbup1:

Thanks Marco. I going with my newly decanted Clubman, today. A great way to start a morning.

Pierce, just used Fine's Italian Citrus this morning after the Alum block and a cold water rinse. Although not a barbershop type lotion, to me this is a great cologne type aftershave. It matches Acqua di Parma Colonia VERY well. And AdP Colonia is my signature fragrance. :thumbup1:

Hey all you Clubman lovers...Wow, look at the poll! I am seeing some scents I am not familiar with. How about some reviews?

Example, at Amazon: Lustrey Coachman. Any users out there in shaving land?

Count me in.

Honestly, barbershop scents are what drew me to DE shaving. It's hard to pick a favorite without a qualifier. I love bay rum (Ogallala is my favorite), though I have yet to find one that lasts. My go to's for a lasting BS are Clubman and Aqua Velva.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I still have my Fine American Blend at the Customs, hope to get it within the end of the week. Fingers crossed.

I still have my Fine American Blend at the Customs, hope to get it within the end of the week. Fingers crossed.
Don't feel bad Marco. I ordered some and they managed to destroy it in transit and sent it back. It's not even safe within the States.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Still no pack. I think if it won't show up within the very next few days I'd have to consider it rejected by the Customs and shipped back to the sender. Very sad and disappointing. :thumbdown

Top Bottom