What's new

Brooks Brothers shirts, anyone?

Hey everyone. I usually have a hard time finding shirts that fit me as they are usually way too baggy. I've been buying Hilfiger's custom fit shirts which are cut very slim and fit me pretty good. I see that Brooks Brothers has a line of shirts called "Milano," which are apparently slim cut. Has anyone had any experience with Brooks Brothers? How about http://www.5thandlamar.com ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Last edited:
Depends. BB slim is not that slim. Their Extra Slim is pretty slim. Do you have issues with slim shirts fitting your armpit/under-shoulder area? I do, so BB extra slim is no go but the slim is okay, a bit baggy at the waist but hey darn good shirts.

I've worn BB slim in the past. Really liked them and the fit was great, but every single shirt got holes in the elbows (I wore them at my desk). I now wear other brands and never had that problem.

Check out Charles Tyrwhitt. The classic fit is roomy, but not too baggy. Great if you are like me and carrying a bit of extra weight. The slim fit is a nice tailored fit and the extra slim fit is very slim. For the price, I'd take them over BB any day.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I'm off to Brooks Brothers in the Morning to check them out. I found that the Hilfiger Custom fit shirts are just about the perfect fit for me. Just so happens there is a Hilfiger outlet store right next to the Brooks Brothers store...I'll have to try Jos A Banks also. Thanks again.

Steve

To be honest, I've not had that issue. I usually have the issue where if I find a shirt that fits my upper body, it's way too baggy at the waist.

Steve

Depends. BB slim is not that slim. Their Extra Slim is pretty slim. Do you have issues with slim shirts fitting your armpit/under-shoulder area? I do, so BB extra slim is no go but the slim is okay, a bit baggy at the waist but hey darn good shirts.

Hiya paintflinger, I'll have to scope they out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Steve

Check out Charles Tyrwhitt. The classic fit is roomy, but not too baggy. Great if you are like me and carrying a bit of extra weight. The slim fit is a nice tailored fit and the extra slim fit is very slim. For the price, I'd take them over BB any day.

HI Ezano, I read that somewhere else on the net. I wonder what the deal is with that/why the elbows would wear prematurely?

Steve

I've worn BB slim in the past. Really liked them and the fit was great, but every single shirt got holes in the elbows (I wore them at my desk). I now wear other brands and never had that problem.

IMO BB has enough fit styles, arm and neck sizes to fit almost anyone. I really like how they fit, look and feel. That being said, IME new shirts from BB become ridiculously stinky very quickly and do not last as long as they used to. If I where you I would go with the Charles Tyrwhitt and, if I was to try the BB, prefer the ones not made in China (yeah I know, that leaves out most of the store).

Hi there lloydrm, I read something about their lower end shirts being made in Malaysia or somewhere in that area. I suspect their more expensive options are still made in the usa. Unfortunately, I'm not looking to spend >$100 on a shirt. I'll see what they look like tomorrow.

I've seen Charles Trywhitt's name come up before, I wish there was a store nearby so that I could try them on. Thanks again for the reply.

Steve

IMO BB has enough fit styles, arm and neck sizes to fit almost anyone. I really like how they fit, look and feel. That being said, IME new shirts from BB become ridiculously stinky very quickly and do not last as long as they used to. If I where you I would go with the Charles Tyrwhitt and, if I was to try the BB, prefer the ones not made in China (yeah I know, that leaves out most of the store).

BB's classic must-iron button-down collar shirts are made in the U.S., but yes, other lines are made in Malaysia.

And BB recently changed the names for its various shirt lines. Traditional is still traditional, I think, but the other cuts are Milano, Madison and Regent. I think the Milano is slimmest fitting. Not sure how the Madison and Regent fit, though. BB's traditional cut is very roomy, especially if you're on the thin side.

I admit I only buy the classic BB must iron buttondowns during the post-Christmas or post-Fathers Day sales. They still run about $65 each, and to get that, you have to order several ... three, I think. Still, very nice shirts made in the USA.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IME new shirts from BB become ridiculously stinky very quickly and do not last as long as they used to. If I where you I would go with the Charles Tyrwhitt and, if I was to try the BB, prefer the ones not made in China (yeah I know, that leaves out most of the store).

Hi there lloydrm, I read something about their lower end shirts being made in Malaysia or somewhere in that area. I suspect their more expensive options are still made in the usa. Unfortunately, I'm not looking to spend >$100 on a shirt. I'll see what they look like tomorrow.

I've seen Charles Trywhitt's name come up before, I wish there was a store nearby so that I could try them on. Thanks again for the reply.

Steve

I believe a lot of the problems with BB shirts come from the "non-iron" chemicals they add to the fabric. (I'd expect similar from CT.) I would suggest that you avoid non-iron shirts.

CT usually (as in "always") has a "four for $xx" sale going on with their shirts, where you can buy four for ... what, $100? I forget (and only really look at the British website rather than the US one.)

One difference: if you like a firm collar, you will find the CT collar more to your liking than the BB one, which will be floppier. Not that one style is "better", just a personal preference thing.

I have to agree with Charles Tyrwhitt. Very good quality. Right now they have a shirt and tie for 39.99. Shipping from the uk is about 10.

Last I checked, Saville Row was still doing 4 shirts for $126 and they have slim and extra slim options. Hard to beat their quality at any price point.

I tried on Brooks Brothers Milano (extra slim) and they were still too big. The best I've found have been Hilfiger's custom fit. I may take a leap of faith and try the Charles Trywhitt offerings. There is a jos A Banks store around, maybe I'll see what they have to offer.

I'll have to look at Saville Row, I love my Saville Row Brush, LOL.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone.

Steve

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I usually have the issue where if I find a shirt that fits my upper body, it's way too baggy at the waist.

Steve

That's an easy fix at a tailor. Buy a shirt that fits in the collar/shoulder/chest and with arm length, and have a tailor take in the waist ... piece of cake.

I've been disappointed in the longevity of my BB shirts. My Tyrwhitt shirts last as long or longer and are cheaper. I wear extra slim fit in both. JAB has always been a bit big on me, but I think they have a slimmer fit now that I haven't tried. I've found their longevity to be better than BB as well.

Top Bottom