What's new

Big Brushes Like Big Mugs

I've commented before about how big brushes benefit from using big mugs so here is an example.

The mug was a thrift shop find. I'm sure it's intended use was as a soup mug. I think it is kind of pretty, and any soup related graphics are absent.

The soap is SFIC Melt and Pour Shaving soap with Bay Rum candle scent. Delightful lather and scent.
20240809_075141[1].jpg
20240809_075141[1].jpg
20240809_075201[1].jpg
20240809_081231[1].jpg

The brush is likely my most favorite. The handle is a Whipped Dog Tall. Originally it was set in a Whipped dog regular handle. A few years later the knot come loose, mainly because I tried to set the knot with too much loft. By then the tall handles were available so I reset it in a tall handle. Knot is 30 mm X 80 mm, with installed loft at 69 mm.

There is quite a story about the knot. It was purchased through AliExpress from Heaven Horse, a Chinese of animal hair products. Originally I ordered it with two smaller High Mountain knots. Shipment arrived with only the two smaller knots and it took a while to get them to ship the big knot. The big knot was supposed to be a 30 mm X 83 mm. I had been through enough grief getting what I had and let that be. After mounting the knot and preparing it to shave, it had a strong chemical smell. The smell was similar to hair bleach. No animal funk though. The smell cleared up with a few shampoos.

What's important about this knot is that it is a nicest soft feel of any knot I have had. The knot is even nicer than my Kent BK12 which is a similar size. The BK12 might be slightly bigger around, but not as much loft, and certainly not as soft.

AliExpress no longer allows Heaven horse to sell through them due to a large number of complaints so I can likely never be able to find another one like it. Although I have another similar brush set with 70 mm loft, it is slightly courser and just not as smooth and soft to use. Still wonderful in its own way, as is the Kent BK12.

Anyway, here are pictures of the big brush, big mug, and the resulting lather. An Old Spice Mug and Burma Shave brush shown for perspective.

I don't know whey the pictures were not at the bottom of the post and why one of them was duplicated. Sorry about that.

Looking back on this post, I realized that the photos didn't really show just how much bigger the big mug was. Here is a picture from above with the big mug and an Old Spice mug for perspective.

20240814_194424[1].jpg

Top Bottom