What's new

Any good pivoting head razors?

Hi there! I’m still in the sabbatical, so this purchase would be next year in case I find something interesting. After over a year of shaves, I think I’ve improved quite a bit. I know how to make good lather, how to properly prepare the face and stubble, which soaps or creams work the best for me, but of course I’m still working on things like pressure and angle. I don’t end up with my face butchered or full of red dots as I used to, however I still get irritation in some areas, not as bad as when I started. The thing is I believe my skin is really special, and gets upset quite easily. I was looking at some videos on YouTube and discovered the One Blade The Element razor and was very intrigued. I wouldn’t buy it because it uses proprietary blades, but was wondering if there is something similar which takes standard blades. I also know about the Leaf razor (I own the Twig), but it doesn’t seem to be intended for the face. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I haven’t tried any of them, but here’s three razor with pivoting head I know of…

The Shavent, made in Germany…

The Focus R48, from Italy…

The Broman Mark II

Hope it help you a bit in your research for next year!

Yes. The Gillette Guard. After that is the Atra and the Sensor. But I think the Guard is the best.

I prefer razors that don't pivot, so I can control exactly the angle and pressure I want. But if I were forced to shave with a pivoting razor I would choose the Guard. A bonus is that it's inexpensive.
I think the question was about razors that don't use proprietary blades.

Anyway...

Gillette Guard (from India) is a very aggressive razor, so if the OP has sensitive skin, that may not be a good match.

Gillette SkinGuard, on the other hand is supposed to be gentler and made for sensitive skin, at the cost of providing a less close shave.

(Again, I doubt OP would be interested in either because of proprietary blades.)

I think the question was about razors that don't use proprietary blades.

Anyway...

Gillette Guard (from India) is a very aggressive razor, so if the OP has sensitive skin, that may not be a good match.

Gillette SkinGuard, on the other hand is supposed to be gentler and made for sensitive skin, at the cost of providing a less close shave.

(Again, I doubt OP would be interested in either because of proprietary blades.)
If he wants to use any old DE blade, has choices are, indeed, limited.

And by the way, I didn't find the Guard aggressive in any way. In fact, if anything, I felt that it's only potential downside was that it was overly mild.

If he wants to use any old DE blade, has choices are, indeed, limited.

And by the way, I didn't find the Guard aggressive in any way. In fact, if anything, I felt that it's only potential downside was that it was overly mild.
Depends on what you are used to. My daily drive is a AS-D2 with Bic Chrome (previously Kai and Gillette Platinum Plus) and I do 3 passes with no skin tears. Compared to that I found that I could never do a 3 pass shave with the Guard without getting a skin tear, even 2 passes was a challenge without razor burn.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have the Henson Mild and the Twig in my den, both very mild. However, I still get irritation even doing a single pass, using minimal pressure and good prep. I do know I still have to improve my technique, but my skin is really, like really sensitive. I get bumps out of nowhere, even if the shave itself was perfect. I don’t know if a pivoting head will help, I may try with some cartridges before jumping in

brucered

System Generated
Yes. The Gillette Guard. After that is the Atra and the Sensor. But I think the Guard is the best.

I prefer razors that don't pivot, so I can control exactly the angle and pressure I want. But if I were forced to shave with a pivoting razor I would choose the Guard. A bonus is that it's inexpensive.
The Guard is my travel and camping razor. I liked it so much, I used it for 6-8 months at home for one stretch.

It doesn't have a high quality feel but don't let that fool you. It's an amazing cartridge, pivoting head razor.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have the Henson Mild and the Twig in my den, both very mild. However, I still get irritation even doing a single pass, using minimal pressure and good prep. I do know I still have to improve my technique, but my skin is really, like really sensitive. I get bumps out of nowhere, even if the shave itself was perfect. I don’t know if a pivoting head will help, I may try with some cartridges before jumping in
What blade are you currently using and/or have tried? What soap/cream do you use? Do you feel any kind of irritation/burn before you start using the razor? I have sensitive skin that can get lit up by most soaps/creams.

What blade are you currently using and/or have tried? What soap/cream do you use? Do you feel any kind of irritation/burn before you start using the razor? I have sensitive skin that can get lit up by most soaps/creams.

After a lot of experiments, Astra goes in the Henson, Nacet in the Twig. I also know which creams or soaps give me irritation before starting (Catties Bubbles has actually been the only notorious one). At the beginning of my journey I thought most of the soaps were causing the irritation, however that was due to my lack of technique. Now I know which soaps don’t give me a reaction but are less protective, or which ones are too drying for my face. Best ones I’ve discovered are SV, Cella Red, B&M, A&E. Those are protective, moisturizing and rarely leave bumps for the next day.

Top Bottom