What's new

A ridiculous idea with surprising results

Just a quick Show n' Tell of a 3D printed idea I've had for a while. Originally, I wanted to design a Kamisori-style razor that would use GEM blades, but it got a bit complicated. Then I realized I could modify an existing design by removing the safety bar to achieve the same results. I put the idea to the test and was pleasantly surprised. I approached the GEM shave like a straight razor shave, and the results were BBS, and definitely the best shave I've had with a GEM blade. The design still needs a few tweaks here and there, but hopefully soon I'll be able to upload the files for anyone to download and print their own.

20240628_020645.jpg
20240628_015747.jpg
20240628_020257.jpg

Screenshot 2024-06-28 091110.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-28 090705.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-28 091508.jpg

It's a Sevette.

You can do a search for Devettes; we have had some long conversations about those over the years.
Yes, I remember the posts. About ten years ago there was a pass-around for a no-guard DE called the scary razor. Someone even made a shaving video about it. I thought it was a ridiculous idea then, and I still think it's a ridiculous ( in a fun way ) idea now, but I'm very pleased with the results and how easy it is to control.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Reminds me of when @rabidus ground the teeth off a GEM Micromatic Open Comb only much lighter and much more stylish.

Very awesome creation, Roger!

Reminds me of when @rabidus ground the teeth off a GEM Micromatic Open Comb only much lighter and much more stylish.

Very awesome creation, Roger!
Thanks, Thom. Stuff like this has been done before and I always thought it was silly, but now I've discovered that at least for me, this setup is very similar to a Rolls Razor shave, or even a straight razor shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m so much worse honing a razor than I am a chef knife or pocketknife, so putting a fresh GEM in my Travel Raptor SE or Triceratops is much better for me.

I check Thingverse every so often to if it will be there. When it’s not, I wonder if you’ve granted an exclusive use license to some manufacturer that is generously remunerating you.
Haha. That would be cool, but no. For now, it's just a contribution to the hobby.

Reminds me of my new Burham razor. I am guessing it shaves like one, also.
The Burham razor is cool-looking and I've used the same blade-holding concept on some of my razor designs. Are you using Burham blades or GEMs? If you're using GEMs and it's ridiculously aggressive, you can always remove the spine and that will reduce the aggressiveness a bit.

I used my Burham all last week. Excellent razor. Very efficient. Provides the closest shave from any SE razor I’ve used. I used a regular GEM PTFE blade that worked terrific. I am able to get 3-4 shaves out of it. When shaving I shave both face and head.

I did not know despinning reduced aggressiveness. It is the most aggressive razor I’ve used. Thank you.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Great idea!

I gotta say I like this concept more than the MMOC with "dental work" we saw a few years back. At the time I was thinking it was ridiculously insane but that was before I got a razor that was too mild to shave with, and cut off the bars to make a devette out of it.

I've got some shavettes -- one Western for 1/2 DE, one AC kamisori and one AC Western and I use them occasionally. While the kamisori style is better than Western for shaving my head and seeing what I'm doing, it's still not perfect. The devette, being basically a T-shaped shavette, gives me better observation.

Lately I've been enjoying the WR3, and last day I was thinking while shaving, "What this world really needs is a Gem-ish shavette." So yay synchronicity. :) I'll have to give this one some thought.

O.H.

This gives a new meaning to the expression "razor blade on a stick".

It does seem like you could modify a mild GEM razor like a Featherweight or Push-Button and accomplish the same thing (or perhaps better, with the solid metal frame). It would be a shame to saw up an MMOC, though.

Great idea!

I gotta say I like this concept more than the MMOC with "dental work" we saw a few years back. At the time I was thinking it was ridiculously insane but that was before I got a razor that was too mild to shave with, and cut off the bars to make a devette out of it.

I've got some shavettes -- one Western for 1/2 DE, one AC kamisori and one AC Western and I use them occasionally. While the kamisori style is better than Western for shaving my head and seeing what I'm doing, it's still not perfect. The devette, being basically a T-shaped shavette, gives me better observation.

Lately I've been enjoying the WR3, and last day I was thinking while shaving, "What this world really needs is a Gem-ish shavette." So yay synchronicity. :) I'll have to give this one some thought.

O.H.
I hear ya. I love my straight razor and Kamisori shaves, but I still think the GEMs are underrated and we all know they can hold their own against most blades. I'm still going to continue the idea of a Kamisori-style GEM razor. If anything, it will be another option for GEM blades.

This gives a new meaning to the expression "razor blade on a stick".

It does seem like you could modify a mild GEM razor like a Featherweight or Push-Button and accomplish the same thing (or perhaps better, with the solid metal frame). It would be a shame to saw up an MMOC, though.
I suppose if the MMOC had damaged teeth, you could just knock the rest of them out, but those things are built like tanks.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm still going to continue the idea of a Kamisori-style GEM razor. If anything, it will be another option for GEM blades.

I haven't played much with printed stuff. A few years back some of us got involved trying to print some replacement baseplates for Wardonia razors to use standard DE instead of the proprietary blades.

I am both amused and intrigued by this design. Once you've got it sorted I may very well give it a go; I've just discovered there are a couple of custom printers in the nearest town so that may give me a bit more push to try it. Likewise, once you get a Gemish kamisori design worked out I'll be definitely interested in having a look at it.

O.H.

Top Bottom