What's new

Brush Loading

Hi all. For some reason when loading my brush I am getting these sort of air pockets as seen in the pictures below. Anyone know why this is happening and how I can load my synthetic brush more evenly?

20240513_193755.jpg20240513_192724.jpg

You are doing a bowl lather and trying to transfer the lather from bowl to your face?

What soap are you using?
Thanks. No sir. I don't use a bowl just the vessel the soap comes in. For example, I use Proraso from its own tub. Or Stirling from its own container. This even happens when I use a stick or cream.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but what difference does it make? I care about what the lather looks like on my face, but what the brush looks like mid-process doesn't concern me.

If I haven't convinced you I'd suggest some experimenting: more/less water, more soap (even using a lot more your soap will still be pretty darn cheap), different loading pattern with the brush. But if the soap is getting to your face and you like your lather I'd work hard at not worrying about it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but what difference does it make? I care about what the lather looks like on my face, but what the brush looks like mid-process doesn't concern me.

If I haven't convinced you I'd suggest some experimenting: more/less water, more soap (even using a lot more your soap will still be pretty darn cheap), different loading pattern with the brush. But if the soap is getting to your face and you like your lather I'd work hard at not worrying about it.
Thanks, I appreciate your honesty.

My synthetics tend to do that. My boars and Badgers look more uniform. But if you get a good lather out of it then all is good. I tend to do about 30 swirls of my brush, which is likely too much but I have over 30 soaps in my current collection. I sorta fell into the soap rabbit hole.

My synthetics tend to do that. My boars and Badgers look more uniform. But if you get a good lather out of it then all is good. I tend to do about 30 swirls of my brush, which is likely too much but I have over 30 soaps in my current collection. I sorta fell into the soap rabbit hole.
Thanks. Not knowing if we're allowed to say this anymore, but it's my OCD that wants it to look proper.

Thanks. Not knowing if we're allowed to say this anymore, but it's my OCD that wants it to look proper.
I hear ya. It’s a struggle. Haha. But you can take comfort in knowing there is wide leeway in the phrase “to look proper.” You’ll figure it out. Take care and have a blessed day.

That looks normal for a synthetic brush. That's how the bristles behave. Not telling you how to shave, but that looks a bit on the light side of the amount of soap i would need to whip up a nice lather. I tilt my brush around the soap to pick up as much as possible. Ultimately, it makes no difference how evenly you load your brush, the amount of soap you pick up and how much you work it on your face decides your lather quality.

That looks normal for a synthetic brush. That's how the bristles behave. Not telling you how to shave, but that looks a bit on the light side of the amount of soap i would need to whip up a nice lather. I tilt my brush around the soap to pick up as much as possible. Ultimately, it makes no difference how evenly you load your brush, the amount of soap you pick up and how much you work it on your face decides your lather quality.

+1! I am in the ‘use more product’ camp!! (Then you may also need just a wee bit more water.) :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Eben Stone

Staff member
That happens with all my RazoRock brushes.

Don't let the brush splay to much when loading.

Comb the brush when you're done with a fine toothed comb to straighten those strands in the middle.

Top Bottom