What's new

Thayers Witch Hazel- Which one?

I love the smell of Thayer's Rose, but the drawback for me is that it is alcohol-free. Bought some ethanol today and will be adding (15%) it to some of my Thayer's Rose; hope it works as this will make it ideal for me. I don't feel refreshed after a shave unless I experience alcohol on my face; I just love Pinaud Bay Rum for this reason.

I received my shipment of Thayer’s Aftershave and Sampler pack a couple of days ago. Here are some comments:

- As a general comment, the natural “witch hazel” smell of all these products is MUCH better than Dickinson’s Witch Hazel which I think smells like a nursing home.

- Aftershave : Despite what the website says, the aftershave is greater than 20% alcohol. In fact, grain alcohol is listed as the 1st ingredient. Also, it passed the ole' flammability test (so it’s probably at least 50% alcohol). It is unscented and the smell is of witch hazel. Overall, I really liked this product as an aftershave because I enjoy aftershaves with a lot of alcohol. Also, because it is unscented and neutral, I can use it with any cologne I want. It’s the best of both worlds, alcohol and witch hazel.

- The Supermedicated: This one is only 20 % alcohol. However, it is still very cooling on the face as an aftershave since it has menthol, peppermint, eucalyptus, etc . This one will make it into my rotation for sure, especially if I don’t want to dry my face out too much.

- The original and original alcohol-free: not much to say here. One has alcohol, one doesn’t. It’s just great witch hazel, and it smells much much better than what you can buy at CVS

- Lavender Alcohol-free: Vaguely resembles lavender. Not bad, not great either.

- Lemon: Smell like lemon dish soap, yuck.

- Peach: Smells like Peach Schnapps. Double yuck.

- Rose Alcohol free: Smells like a nursing home mixed with rotten roses and cheap old woman perfume. This one is just awful. I have the Art of Shaving Rose Hydrosol which smells like real fresh roses, and I just love it. The Thayer’s smells nothing like the hydrosol. Yuck x1000.

All in all, I really like the aftershave, the supermedicated, and the originals (alcohol and alcohol-free). Those are the ones that will make it into my rotation. As always, YMMV.

Ross

PS I will probably be using the original alcohol free to make my own alcohol based aftershave in the future (see http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20168).

Thayers Alc. Free Lavender is a must-have product. I find that most After Shave balms make any razor burn worse. Thayers Lavender soothes it and heals it. Add in a little Proraso Pre/Post, and you've got a cooling healing combo that can't be beat.

+1 This indeed is a great product. IMHO better smelling than the Rose scent. Radily available in Health Food/Vitamin Stores.

- Lavender Alcohol-free: Vaguely resembles lavender. Not bad, not great either.

- Rose Alcohol free: Smells like a nursing home mixed with rotten roses and cheap old woman perfume. This one is just awful. I have the Art of Shaving Rose Hydrosol which smells like real fresh roses, and I just love it. The Thayer’s smells nothing like the hydrosol. Yuck x1000.

After having spent some more time with the sample pack, I feel compelled to revoke my previous comments about the above two varieties of witch hazel. I was way to harsh, especially on the rose, and both scents have really grown on me. They are gentle, refreshing, and non-trying, and they do smell quite good. Both the lavender and rose scents are very nice, and I have been using them everyday as a toner (especially excellent in the Miami weather). I highly recommend all the Thayer's products except for the lemon and peach.

Ross

Ross, good for you to hang in there with the Rose. As I said in an earlier post, it is one of my favourites, its only drawback being a lack of alcohol. I'm currently experimenting with it by adding ethanol to a small batch, but I don't want to dilute the rose scent. Nothwithstanding its being alcohol-free, I still use it because of the rose scent, which I find very subtle and refreshing. In this regard, I've just returned from Whole Foods where I picked up a bottle of Heritage Rosewater & Glycerin, which too is alcohol free; I'm also going to experiment with it by adding ethanol to a small batch. With respect to the Thayer's Aftershave, I am intending to experiment with this by adding some lavender essential oil, as lavender is another scent I enjoy. Not sure what SWMBO thinks of all my experimenting; she just gives me a quizzicle (sp.?) look and mumbles something about my having too much time on my hands since I retired.

Rufus,

I too have been experimenting with my own aftershave. The problem with putting EO in witch hazel is that it will not dissolve; you need a solution that is at least 60% alcohol. I have successfully made aftershave using 75% Everclear and diluting it down to 60% using witch hazel, any less than 60% and the EO did not stay dissolved.

I am trying a new batch/experiment right now though. I have put the EOs and olive oil in the alcohol (75% Everclear) 1st, and I am going to let that sit for about 2 weeks. Then I will try adding witch hazel to see if I can dilute it down to less than 60% without the EO coming out of solution. To be honest, it make for a pretty nice aftershave as is.

Ross

Revival from the depths…

Anyhow, I just wanted to bring up a Thayers Witch Hazel product that I recently acquired about 2 weeks ago and since using it I have been very surprised on the effects and performance of this particular item. I know that the Thayers Toners have been around for quite some time but, I’ve never seen this particular one in the Lemongrass scent with the addition of Salicylic Acid in a 2% concentration. I don’t know if it’s ever been present previously in their toners, I just happened to realize it when I bought this particular one. I don’t know much about Salicylic Acid after a brief search other than that it’s very good at helping clear out acne/pimples, softening and loosening dry skin and a few others skin conditioning benefits. I don’t suffer from acne as I’m 52 going on 53 in a couple of months and haven’t had to deal with it since my mid to late teens. However, I do have slightly oily skin and do use products that help in conditioning, clearing and providing a cleansing and drying of the oily skin condition that I at times encounter. I have a few products from the wet shave world that work marvelously well pre, during & post of my daily shave regime. like I said, I’ve only had this product for a couple of weeks and probably have used it 4-5 times during that time frame. It offers excellent soothing and toning properties because of the witch hazel of course but, the added ingredient of Salicylic Acid has provided a very soft and healthy feeling skin. And for the price of $7.99 it’s a real nice product for either pre or post shave that delivers worthy skin conditioning benefits. The scent is light but, very pleasant and if stored in the fridge for a bit adds a nice freshness and cooling effect. Yes, it’s alcohol free which is a minor drawback but, I have plenty of alcohol based splashes to finish off and give me the desired bracing effect that I need.

96FB60A3-CCB8-443E-8143-937D5668BD15.jpeg

Two thumbs up for this product that I find beneficial in my personal use so far. And for those that might suffer from extreme oily skin and/or acne, this might be worth looking into.

Great shaves to all…

Top Bottom