What's new

Thayers Witch Hazel- Which one?

Hi Gents,

While skimming through Thayer's website, I noticed that they have quite a selection of different types of Witch Hazel. There are the alcohol free ones w/ or w/o scent, the original, the medicated superhazel, etc. Regarding their efficacy, is there any discernible difference from one to the next?

Thanks,
Rick

At the highest level- sting quality or not- Alcohol based or not-

After that would be scent quality-

I know there is a lot more to this- but when choosing- I chose the alcohol free product and Lavender- Seems to do what it is required to do and not sting- the Alum bar is enough for me:eek:

Sadly, I cannot help you choose- i bought the lemon,lavender, and the rose in one fell swoop. :drool: Resistance is futile!

Marty

I have the alcohol rose b/c that's what my local health food store had the last time I went in.

Has anybody tried any of the ones with alcohol in them? How much do they sting?

I am interested in the superhazel, but I don't want to feel the sting of alcohol, and unfortunately I think the ones with alcohol have about ~20% alcohol.

Hi Gents,

While skimming through Thayer's website, I noticed that they have quite a selection of different types of Witch Hazel. There are the alcohol free ones w/ or w/o scent, the original, the medicated superhazel, etc. Regarding their efficacy, is there any discernible difference from one to the next?

Thanks,
Rick

Witch Hazel is a formulation with the 2 most prominent manufacturers being Thayer's and Dickinson.

Thayer's
Thayer's formula for the astringent version (white label with a picture of Henry Thayer on it) is 10% alcohol + witch hazel extract + water + aloe + fragrance.

Note #1: This astringent version is called the "original witch hazel". and the witch hazel extract is listed as the first ingredient followed by water, which implies that it has more extract than water.

Note #2: I currently use this version and the 10% alcohol does not cause any sting for me. If I follow up the witch hazel treatment with an alcohol based aftershave, I do feel the alcohol sting, which tells me the 10% in the witch hazel had no burn. The alcohol does not dry out my skin either.

Thayer's formula for the Toner (non-alcoholic) versions (colored label with a picture of Rose Thayer on it) is water + witch hazel extract + aloe + fragrance. It also contains vitamin E which I suspect is used for its antioxidant properties (helps preservation since alcohol is not used), grapefruit seed extract, butylene glycol (humectant), polysorbate 20 (emulsifier) and paraben (a preservative used to keep the product alcohol free.

Note that this version does not have the word "original" on it and witch hazel extract is listed second on the ingredients (after water) which implies that it has more water than extract. It also contains paraben which may be a concern for those trying to use paraben free products.

Dickinson's
The only difference with the Dickinson Astringent Formulation is that it contains 14% alcohol + witch hazel extract. It is advertised as "combines extracts of the witch hazel plant to thoroughly cleanse and condition your skin. Unlike other astringents, our gentle formulation cleans deeply to remove the last traces of make-up, soap residue and excess oil - without the use of artificial ingredients that may overdry your skin".
http://www.witchhazel.com/skincare_yellow_astrigent.htm

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=37272&catid=47742&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=47742&trxp2=37272&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

The Dickinson Toner Formulation contains 14% alcohol + witch hazel extract plus botanicals (Glycerin, Aloe, Chamomile, Verbena, Elder Flower, Woodruff, Lemongrass, Rose, Lavender, Orange Flower, Clary Sage, Davana, Periwinkle, Rosewood). It is advertised as "blends the cleansing properties of witch hazel, together with the moisturizing qualities of glycerin and aloe to rejuvenate and revitalize"
http://www.witchhazel.com/skincare_blue.htm

My observations are:

The Thayer's White Label Astringent and both the Dickinson's Astringent and Toner seem to have the most natural ingredients.

Dickinson's seems to have a more strict interpretation of what "natural" means.

If you are sensitive to alcohol, the Thayer's 10% alcohol astringent may be more appropriate than the 14% Dickinson's astringent.

For more background on Witch Hazel, see the following thread

Question
It is interesting that the Thayer's astringent features a picture of Henry Thayer and the toners feature a picture of Rose Thayer (Henry's neice). Not that it makes a difference, but does anyone know if the Henry Thayer version was intended to be the male (alcohol based) formulation for witch hazel and the Rose Thayer version was intended as a lighter (alcohol-free) version for women? Since the Thayer's toner is advertised as based on Rose's 120 year old secret recipe, It is hard for me to imagine a gun-slingin' cowboy getting off of a horse in the late 1800's, walking into a drug store and asking for a bottle of Rose's Toner.:blink:

Thayer's Lavender is the best. It is the one product that I use everyday with every shave and again in the evening. Everything else is rotated.

I use the Thayers Original Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Formula Toner. It seems to work and avoids any "less-than-masculine" aroma issues.

Is there any difference between the regular Thayer's Witch Hazel and the Thayer's Witch Hazel Aftershave, aside from more alcohol (20%) and a bottle one-third the size?

Is there any difference between the regular Thayer's Witch Hazel and the Thayer's Witch Hazel Aftershave, aside from more alcohol (20%) and a bottle one-third the size?

It appears that the extra alcohol is the only difference. The intent might be to give that sting so familiar with alcohol based after shaves.

Hi Rick
I use the alc. free rose and the lemon thayers.Although it contains 10% alc. I can feel no sting from the lemon and it is very refreshing.However if you require more moisturising properties the alc. free rose is superb and I can quite happily use it without any extra balm.
The rose scent is quite strong initially but soon fades.
These products have enhanced my shaves and will be trying more of the range a.s.a.p.
Rob

Thayers Alc. Free Lavender is a must-have product. I find that most After Shave balms make any razor burn worse. Thayers Lavender soothes it and heals it. Add in a little Proraso Pre/Post, and you've got a cooling healing combo that can't be beat.

I've bought a sampler and liked 4: rose, lavender, medicated and peach. Rose and lavender go well with like shave soaps/creams. I think medicated works well with tabac soap. Well, at least I don't think rose and lavender would work well with it. And I use peach as a toner on Sun when I don't normally shave.

I have the Thayer's aftershave and sampler pack on it way right now. Can't wait to get em and try them all.
Ross

I'm curious to know which ones you like. Been thinking of getting the sampler pack myself. All I've used is the "Original Formula Toner" (green label; no alcohol.) It doesn't advertise any particular scent, but I LOVE how it smells. Very subtle, evaporates quickly, but for a few moments it's a really nice scent.

Plus my skin seems to like it a lot. :biggrin:

Thayer's Superhazel is one of my favorite products. I never experience alcohol burn. It is the most soothing splash-on I have ever used, and it has a great scent.

Michael

Top Bottom