Lovely shave today with the Masamune

Tatara - Masamune SB
Dorco - Prime Platinum
Simpson - Trafalgar T3
Martin de Candre - Nature
Tabac - Original AS
Balea - Men Sensitive ASB

20240415_02.JPG

Excellent shave today with a Permasharp Stainless in the Nodachi. I have had it since December and probably still have less than 10 shaves on it, so I need to give it some more love as it really is almost perfect for me in terms of weight / size / efficiency / aggression. As someone who spent all of last month using shavettes, it almost makes shaving too easy!

20240415_142159.jpg

Excellent shave today with a Permasharp Stainless in the Nodachi. I have had it since December and probably still have less than 10 shaves on it, so I need to give it some more love as it really is almost perfect for me in terms of weight / size / efficiency / aggression. As someone who spent all of last month using shavettes, it almost makes shaving too easy!
Nothing wrong with too easy ;-)

... Thom

I did a quick polish of my Masamune and it looks very nice and shiny now! This OC plate works so well for my head, I think I need to order the Nodachi OC plate now that they have it on sale. Promised myself not to chase a BBS shave to let my skin rest a little, but got a close result with almost no buffing. This soap is a dream too!

1000017923.jpg

This just in: I received an email today that the Muramasa Adjustable brush is now available! And the knots are interchangeable, although I didn't see an option to buy the knot by itself.
Hi Maine! That's true. We shared more information here: Tatara - New Muramasa Adjustable Brush - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/tatara-new-muramasa-adjustable-brush.652177/

You will find the knots in the brush section on the website: BRUSHES - Tatara - https://tatararazors.com/product-category/brushes

After getting a couple of wonderful shaves with Tatara Masamune stainless steel standard base and handle, I tried the open comb plate, and everything was still good. But I preferred the standard base plate. Then I tried the Nodachi plate with Masamune handle and managed to butcher my face. Even managed to cut my upper lip. All shaves were completed with new Feather blades, which is my favorite double edge blade. I became worried that I would never develop the technique required to master the Nodachi. Then on a whim, I ordered the Nodachi handle from Tatara and tried again. Lo and behold, my two shaves with Nodachi plate and Nodachi handle were much, much better than what I experienced early on with Nodachi plate and Masamune handle. I love the big Nodachi handle.

So, I'm posting this feedback knowing that the Masamune handle is preferred by the majority of forum members irrespective of the plate. But the much longer and beefier Nodachi handle made a huge difference for me. Oh, BTW, there's no need to emphasize that Tatara razors are works of art and marvels of engineering precision. Very impressive.

Tatara razors.JPG

Have you tried the Nodachi cap with the Masamune base? I only have the OC version of the Masamune plate and it's still pretty mild with the Masamune cap but switching to the Nodachi cap on the Masamune OC plate is a really nice combination. You can also try the Masamune cap on the Nodachi plate and that is a little more aggressive - but still less aggressive than the Nodachi cap on Nodachi plate.

I'm one of those that prefers the Masamune handle to the Nodachi handle - but I can get a really good shave with either handle.

I keep hoping Tatara will release a closed comb plate that is between the Masamune and Nodachi. The blade gap jumps from .63 for Masamune closed comb to .90 for Nodachi closed comb. And I think something around .75 to .80 with closed comb would be the perfect balance.

I meant as in with the open comb do you have a wider sweet spot with the proper blade angle not irritating.
I'm just catching up on this thread and skipping around so maybe this has already been answered for you. The Masamune OC plate has a little more blade gap compared to the closed comb Masamune (.73mm vs .63mm). That isn't a lot but the extra blade gap does let you angle the handle down a little more while still putting the edge of the blade on your skin. I think that is what you are asking - you have a little more range of angle that keeps the blade on your skin. The closed comb Masamune pretty much needs you to get the angle exactly right.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Nodachi cap with the Masamune base? I only have the OC version of the Masamune plate and it's still pretty mild with the Masamune cap but switching to the Nodachi cap on the Masamune OC plate is a really nice combination. You can also try the Masamune cap on the Nodachi plate and that is a little more aggressive - but still less aggressive than the Nodachi cap on Nodachi plate.

I'm one of those that prefers the Masamune handle to the Nodachi handle - but I can get a really good shave with either handle.

I keep hoping Tatara will release a closed comb plate that is between the Masamune and Nodachi. The blade gap jumps from .63 for Masamune closed comb to .90 for Nodachi closed comb. And I think something around .75 to .80 with closed comb would be the perfect balance.
Thank you for the suggestions! I haven’t tried mixing and matching the Masamune and Nodachi parts, but will certainly explore those combinations once I get good exposure to standard options. And yes, I agree with your suggestion to Tatara that a closed comb plate with a blade gap between Masamune and Nodachi would be perfect. But they may defer to the Muramasa adjustable marvel to address such requests.

Thank you for the suggestions! I haven’t tried mixing and matching the Masamune and Nodachi parts, but will certainly explore those combinations once I get good exposure to standard options. And yes, I agree with your suggestion to Tatara that a closed comb plate with a blade gap between Masamune and Nodachi would be perfect. But they may defer to the Muramasa adjustable marvel to address such requests.
6 cap/base plate permutations (including OC) are quite a bit, especially when you take blade experimentation into account.

... Thom

Evening, last night's shave:

Razor: Tatara Masamune with Nodachi Top Cap
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock (3)
Pre: Hot Water
Soap: Barbasol Aloe
Brush: N/A
Aftershave: Aqua Velva

Little time for shaving this week, this combo was top notch with multiple days growth.

10/10

Cheers

Top Bottom