What's new

Henson Razor Club.

I’ll put it through the paces for a bit, but after one shave it’s already making me wonder if there is any point in owning both the ++ and +.

The + is probably my second favorite razor after the ++, but they're so similar that I didn't see myself going for the + again and sold mine. Plenty of guys do own both though.

I have the same question lingering on my head. Having both + and ++ seems redundant. The later gives me a little more efficiency but same comfort level.

I tried the ++ for the first time tonight and I’m impressed. Equally as comfortable as the +, but with a very nice bump in efficiency and more forgiving of angle. I’ll put it through the paces for a bit, but after one shave it’s already making me wonder if there is any point in owning both the ++ and +.View attachment 1854694
The ++ is a fantastic razor and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts while putting it through it's paces.

Hi all, long-time lurker, first-time poster. Been using this Henson setup since Black Friday, and have been getting some of the best shaves of my life.

Razor: Henson Al13 V2 +++
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Razorock Plastic Lather Bowl
Wash: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
Prep: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Oil
Soap: Stirling Unscented with Beeswax

I shave every 3 days, and have relatively thick facial hair and sensitive skin, so I do a 2-pass, WTG and XTG. I had been using a Merkur 39C for almost 10 years, and was under the impression a DE razor needed to be heavy and slanted to avoid blade chatter, but the Henson has taught me that those were design crutches to compensate for imprecise blade handling.

I'm jumping in now to add my 2 cents on the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, which is so far my favorite blade out of the 14 I've tested. I'm doing a scientific-ish blind test with 18 blades (may expand to 25) and I broke the "blind" rule after using the SharpEdge because it was so good. Definitely an underrated blade.

Anyway, this thread has been an invaluable source of info, thank you to everyone posting here, it's really helped me step my shave game up. henson.jpg

Welcome, what took you so long. 🤣

We’re glad you finally joined us and looking forward to your shaving updates.

What other blades you tested and what makes 7 o’clock yellow stand out against the rest?
They were really smooth and absolutely no tugging. People seem to say they're not particularly "sharp", but they sure do glide through stubble when in a Henson +++.

Here's the blades I have and the test results so far, it won't be interesting until I finish and line up the scores to the blades, with current mistaken exceptions made to German Wilkinson Sword (terrible) and Dorco Prime (mediocre).

The ++ is a fantastic razor and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts while putting it through its paces.
I used it again this morning and found it just as impressive. There is less of the “suction” effect than the + and plenty comfortable enough to use every day. The +++ is certainly more effective for longer growth, but as a daily shaver the ++ is more practical for me. I think I will remove the + and +++ from my rotation for a while and see if I miss them.
IMG_9344.jpeg

They were really smooth and absolutely no tugging. People seem to say they're not particularly "sharp", but they sure do glide through stubble when in a Henson +++.
I agree 100%. Have you tested the German Personna yet? I find them to perform similarly - sharp enough and very smooth. A lot of guys around here don’t like them since they replaced the Israeli version, but I couldn’t tell a difference between them when I tested side by side.

I used it again this morning and found it just as impressive. There is less of the “suction” effect than the + and plenty comfortable enough to use every day. The +++ is certainly more effective for longer growth, but as a daily shaver the ++ is more practical for me. I think I will remove the + and +++ from my rotation for a while and see if I miss them.

I shaved with the medium today and was impressed as well. Recently, I spent about a month shaving exclusively with the ++ and really enjoyed it. We're both daily shavers and your rationale for selecting the ++ is sound. I think I'll put the other two away and join you on this journey.

Paul

I shaved with the medium today and was impressed as well. Recently, I spent about a month shaving exclusively with the ++ and really enjoyed it. We're both daily shavers and your rationale for selecting the ++ is sound. I think I'll put the other two away and join you on this journey.

Paul
I'd be interesting in reading what you two come up with on this.

I'd be interesting in reading what you two come up with on this.
@Doc Dan I've gone from thinking to actually committing to one razor. I put the + and +++ back in their boxes. They've been shelved.

Today's shave with the Henson ++ paired with a Feather was just fantastic. I have a Crystal Israeli loaded and ready to go for Saturday.

Top Bottom