What's new

English Leather Vintage Aftershave

MEM is the only way to go.

I get all my vintage EL from eBay. You have to shop, as much of it is overpriced. And make sure it's a completely full, NOS bottle.

I use Avon Leather as well, and also Avon Wild Country. I like the scents, but IMHO, they wear out very quickly. Once my bottles of each are empty, I'll not resupply those.

Thanks for confirming and for ! Sorry for the delay of this reply, I'm not sure how I missed your comment, 'til now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm on the hunt for EL in the wild. I did score a Russian Leather AS/Cologne set, but so far no vintage EL.

I have SO MUCH Avon Leather and that stuff is incredible, in my opinion!

Isn't there vintage Dana also, or is MEM the only way to go?

I want to be sure I'm grabbing the best juice, so any guidance on what I should be looking for is appreciated!
I've got some English Leather cologne from an estate sale that honestly didn't do much for me. Indistinguishable from the new stuff to my nose; kinda skunky. But I've a belief that Covid multiple times may have thrown off my sniffer? So take that with a grain of salt.

Me Da used a lot of Avon Leather back in the day, and I have been buying it whenever I see it. I'm not as bad as @OkieStubble as to my supply of it, but I'm gaining on him, dern it! SO.......I may be biased. But as for me and my house, I will not be chasing any English Leather.

Forgive my Party Bowelling Ways my friends! I hope you all still love me! Especially those of you that hang out with Rob in the one subsection of the Great Outdoors that involves love for revolvers! I'm even more loveable in the Kingdom of Arkoland!

I've got some English Leather cologne from an estate sale that honestly didn't do much for me. Indistinguishable from the new stuff to my nose; kinda skunky. But I've a belief that Covid multiple times may have thrown off my sniffer? So take that with a grain of salt.

Me Da used a lot of Avon Leather back in the day, and I have been buying it whenever I see it. I'm not as bad as @OkieStubble as to my supply of it, but I'm gaining on him, dern it! SO.......I may be biased. But as for me and my house, I will not be chasing any English Leather.

Forgive my Party Bowelling Ways my friends! I hope you all still love me! Especially those of you that hang out with Rob in the one subsection of the Great Outdoors that involves love for revolvers! I'm even more loveable in the Kingdom of Arkoland!

I've only ever sampled the current DANA EL, to mix Bootlegger's EL Dorado. I love EL Dorado, but EL on it's own doesn't do it for me at all. I'm on the lookout for some vintage MEM just to see what the "real" thing is all about. I hope for a better experience than you had!

Sounds your Da had hapes o' class, so.

FarmerTan

I've only ever sampled the current DANA EL, to mix Bootlegger's EL Dorado. I love EL Dorado, but EL on it's own doesn't do it for me at all. I'm on the lookout for some vintage MEM just to see what the "real" thing is all about. I hope for a better experience than you had!

I wish I could quote all the tales he told me about his Irish potato farming grand dad. One tough Irishman. But he sounds like he was PG at best, lol.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I have vintage MEM and vintage DANA. They both smell much better than the modern stuff. The best MEM version is the ‘All Purpose Lotion’ English Leather. I only ever break it out in special occasions. :)

While vintage EL is very good, I can tell you this much. If I had to choose between vintage EL vintage Avon Leather or my Bootlegger’s EL Dorado?

I think EL Dorado is better than all of them. I think EL Dorado is even better than Vintage Aramis or Vintage Stetson; now that’s saying something! :)

I have vintage MEM and vintage DANA. They both smell much better than the modern stuff. The best MEM version is the ‘All Purpose Lotion’ English Leather. I only ever break it out in special occasions. :)

While vintage EL is very good, I can tell you this much. If I had to choose between vintage EL vintage Avon Leather or my Bootlegger’s EL Dorado?

I think EL Dorado is better than all of them. I think EL Dorado is even better than Vintage Aramis or Vintage Stetson; now that’s saying something! :)

Is this the one?

1700937386985.png

That’s the one! That is MEM’s attempt at the 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner marketing strategy; accept instead, it’s their cologne/aftershave ‘all purpose’ lotion. :)

Light enough for an aftershave, but still strong enough to attract the ladies…

:)

The picture I posted before wasn't mine. I got that pic from Google to make sure I was looking for the right bottle.

I finally found it yesterday at an antique shop for $10. Completely full and in the box.

This scent is very different to me than the current Dana stuff, which I didn't like on it's own.

I'd definitely wear this! It's not the straight leather scent that I love from Avon's Leather, but sweeter, with a sort of honey note, and a bit of citrus.

It's VERY nice!

EL Dorado is a standalone, and amazing scent that will remain in my rotation, but I'm sold on the vintage MEM English Leather All-Purpose Lotion!

Thanks for the guidance Rob!

1711928593958.jpeg

1711928636046.jpeg

1711928663364.jpeg

1711928693502.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The picture I posted before wasn't mine. I got that pic from Google to make sure I was looking for the right bottle.

I finally found it yesterday at an antique shop for $10. Completely full and in the box.

This scent is very different to me than the current Dana stuff, which I didn't like on it's own.

I'd definitely wear this! It's not the straight leather scent that I love from Avon's Leather, but sweeter, with a sort of honey note, and a bit of citrus.

It's VERY nice!

EL Dorado is a standalone, and amazing scent that will remain in my rotation, but I'm sold on the vintage MEM English Leather All-Purpose Lotion!

View attachment 1821500
View attachment 1821502
View attachment 1821503
View attachment 1821504

That’s a great find at a great price too! The All Purpose stuff is getting harder to find in the wild and more expensive online.

I have 3 bottles in storage that look just like your pic. Should be a lifetime supply with the rotation of aftershave’s I have.

It’s one of my wife’s favorite aftershave’s she likes me to use on date night’s right along with a few of her other favs which include AV Musk and EL Dorado. :)

Never mix vintage MEM or Vintage Dana. I call that shaving sacrilege. :). Save mixing for the modern stuff.
I actually have more bottles of modern Dana in storage for making EL Dorado than I do vintage MEM & Dana. :)

FarmerTan

It's VERY nice!

View attachment 1821500
View attachment 1821502
View attachment 1821503
View attachment 1821504
That sure brings back memories! Thank you my friend. One of the few aftershave lotions I clearly remember my dear old Da using for special occasions.

And @OkieStubble is korreck; it would be sacrilege to use that in a mix, whereas today's junk is nearly unwearable as it is produced now.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Those of us in the neighboring states all make jokes about New Jersey, aka "Jersey". It's just part of living in the region.

And not just about the traffic "circles" or strange vegetation over there. Many are about some of the odors that waft over from their larger "waste management" areas.

But some really outstanding scents also came out of New Jersey in the 50s-70s, with a lot of the classic aftershaves and colognes that were once manufactured there. Not just MEM, but quite a few others. Some will likely never be perfectly duplicated again, no matter how hard today's formula owners try.

That sure brings back memories! Thank you my friend. One of the few aftershave lotions I clearly remember my dear old Da using for special occasions.

And @OkieStubble is korreck; it would be sacrilege to use that in a mix, whereas today's junk is nearly unwearable as it is produced now.

It’s my pleasure !!

I’ve got 16oz of EL Dorado that was mixed a year and an half ago now, using the current Dana stuff.

I will definitely NOT be mixing this MEM All-Purpose Lotion with anything!

As soon as I sniffed, I knew I would need more than this 4oz bottle so I jumped online and found an 8 ouncer of the MEM APL for sale for $14, full and in the box!!

Fortunately the seller agreed to ship it, so it's in the mail on its way to me as well as of today.

Gotta have backups. I’m an addict, what can I say?

1712352321614.jpeg

Last edited:

FarmerTan

It’s my pleasure !!

I’ve got 16oz of EL Dorado that was mixed a year and an half ago now, using the current Dana stuff.

I will definitely NOT be mixing this MEM All-Purpose Lotion with anything!

As soon as I sniffed, I knew I would need more than this 4oz bottle so I jumped online and found an 8 ouncer of the MEM APL for sale for $14, full and in the box!!

Fortunately the seller agreed to ship it, so it's in the mail on its way to me as well as of today.

Gotta have backups. I’m an addict, what can I say?

View attachment 1824330
You have chosen a great addiction my friend!

EL was the first cologne/aftershave I was aware of. My mom loved it, so my dad, myself, and my brothers often wore it. A couple years back I found a NiB vintage (from the early to mid 70's, based on the packaging) EL gift pack with the AS, cologne, and a small bar of hand soap stashed in the corner of an antique shop. It was like $8, so of course I grabbed it. lol I use it judiciously since I can't be sure I'll ever score vintage again.

Top Bottom