What's new

Cap Riding Affiliated Participants

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Welcome to the Cap Riding Affiliated Participants. I searched to see if there was a club or brotherhood of people who like to ride the cap (also known as shallow angle shaving), but I couldn’t find one. So, I decided to start one. If one already exists that I somehow missed, I apologize and mods can deep six this affiliation.

What are the rules?

This is an affiliation for those who occasionally, usually, or always shave at a shallow angle by riding the cap. If you ever shave slightly more shallow than neutral at any time, welcome to the affiliation. I understand that some here only do so based on particular razors, while others, like myself, prefer to ride the cap during every shave no matter which razor is used.

Simply drop in as often as you like and share your shallow angle shave. Pics are welcome and encouraged. Ask questions, give advice, provide feedback, or share any other thoughts on your mind. Feel free to put CRAP in your signature.

Why the name?

There already is a Steep Angle Shavers Alliance, so we simply can’t call this one the Shallow Angle Shavers Alliance. It’s also not as fun to call it the Shallow Shavers Society. To have some fun, not take ourselves too seriously, make reference to cap riding, and acknowledge that cap riding may be a part-time or razor-dependent method for many shavers, the Cap Riding Affiliated Participants (CRAP) is born. Plus, now everyone can tell others in their home that they have important crap to do in the den and are not to be disturbed.

Welcome!

Jay21

Today’s shallow angle shave:

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 butterscotch noir
Soap: Arko, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: RR Game Changer 68P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: No
Aftershave: Skin Bracer and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: None
Result: DFS (stubble ATG on neck)

Splendid shave this morning. I made the Arko extra thick this morning and it delivered. For some reason, I get closer shaves as the lather gets thicker. I think it's because it stands up my hair a little better, which lie flat against the skin. The Game Changer 68 has never shaved me this close. It's starting to approach Lupo territory now.

I actively rotate 7 different DEs, and ~ 10 different blades, all in the moderately efficient range.That first stroke downward from the sideburn gives me the best angle for that shave.

Lo and behold, all of my strokes and shaves would be considered shallow angles for both WTG and ATG. Maybe a little less so ATG on the upper lip, the "fools pass."

CRAP indeed!

This was no CRAP shave. Did not have cap :)
This was no crap shave either.

Two pass shave.
A77 generic shavette with 吉士 half-blade.Binned after 7 shaves.
Badger brush
Hawkins & Brimble cream
Eau de Cologne Toilette a/s
Revuelle balm

1715404823681_1.jpg

Jay21

This morning’s cap riding affair of precision:

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 butterscotch noir
Soap: Fendrihan unscented, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: RR Game Changer 68P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: yes, in one area next to my Adam’s apple
Aftershave: Skin Bracer and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: None
Result: DFS (stubble ATG on neck)

Nice shave this morning. First time with Fendrihan unscented soap. I’ve used their smaller scented puck (50 g) before, so I have experience with it, but had to stop using it because my skin reacted to the fragrance. This shave was without incident, but the larger puck (100 g) was thirstier and took a little longer to get the lather right. It was pretty good, but I can do better next time. Good slickness and protection.

IMG_0301.jpeg

I will certainly jump into this club! I've tried steep angle but prefer using a shallow angle for a smoother, less blade-feel shave. I feel with a shallow angle I am slicing the whiskers instead of scraping the whiskers, which is what I feel when I use a steep angle. Thanks for starting this up @Jay21!

Jay21

I will certainly jump into this club! I've tried steep angle but prefer using a shallow angle for a smoother, less blade-feel shave. I feel with a shallow angle I am slicing the whiskers instead of scraping the whiskers, which is what I feel when I use a steep angle. Thanks for starting this up @Jay21!
That’s exactly how I became a shallow shaver. I felt steep was scraping. Neutral was better, and shallow sliced the best.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
I have been CRAP since I joined this website, I think everybody knows that already! :devil:

I put this thread on watch as soon as it was created, but I don't have much to contribute yet. I consider a steep angle to be a targeted strategic tool for specific areas, but mostly shave off the cap and only buy razors that work well this way. I am not into the whole historic recreation involving pressure and stretching blades out, but that is one area of this.

Top Bottom