What's new

should I replate this set...

Rechrome it?

• Yes, you plan on keeping it indefinitely, rechrome it and enjoy!

• Better not. Maybe shabby but still an original! Enjoy authentic history!

Results are only viewable after voting.
OK guys. What you decide I'll take into big consideration. :smile:
A 1914 ABC pocket edition. I'll restore the velvet interior (it has none, but I'll try to make it).
So, should I replate this set. Pics following...

I'd have to stress though that I don't see myself selling it for the next few decades. Meaning, even if the rechroming will make it lose value, it will be more valuable to me (since I'm a sucker for good looking razor). But than again, this is almost 100 years old. Decisions, decisions...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

(I hope I'll know how to open a poll:redface:)

Last edited:
If a rechrome would make it more enjoyable to use then I would do that in a heartbeat.

Really a nice example, and rechroming seems like a good way to keep it going for another 100 years.

If you decided to replate, don't go with chrome.
Gillette never did chrome, it's not a bumper.:lol:
Either replate with silver or go with rhodium or gold.

In 100 years, if some kid walks through an antique store and sees this razor still shiny in ridiculous rhodium, he is NOT going to care that it is replated, he is just going to be thrilled that it still exists for him to get.

So do it. And if you find someone who doesn't mind doing single razors--let us all know--we can make him a lot of extra cash. I got a box full of Olds and News I would love to trick out with some new gold or rhodium.

I rechromed a razor and it looks fine:redface:

proxy.php

yeah it probably looks very good but it is just an intrinsic value type of thing... like cooncatbob said, chrome is for bumpers. No offense, but it just seems kind of trashy to put chrome on a fancy razor. Chrome on a NEW doesn't bother me all that much, but on a beautiful ABC set get silver of rhodium. And if you ever want to sell the set (say you get really into straights), it will be worth more with rhodium or silver than it will with chrome. I say do rhodium or gold.

I rechromed a razor and it looks fine:redface:

proxy.php

I think the NEW looks fantastic chromed. This is something that I might consider doing for mine.

But for your other set, I'd do it in nickel. Rhodium would look nice, but it's probably too expensive. Anyway, I like the "warmth" of nickle on a set like that.

Napoleon,

My general tendency would be to say "do whatever makes you happy, it's your razor", but in this case, and mostly because you did ask, I have to agree with coocatbob and shaved_*****. I think you asked because you have some reservations about changing the look of a nearly 100 year old razor - not just restoring it, but changing it. I suspect you will be happier if you restore it to look the same as it was originally made, and not change it into something different.

Whatever you do with it, it is your razor and your call, but I'm voting for restoration and preservation. :cool:

I think the NEW looks fantastic chromed. This is something that I might consider doing for mine.

But for your other set, I'd do it in nickel. Rhodium would look nice, but it's probably too expensive. Anyway, I like the "warmth" of nickle on a set like that.

My thoughts EXACTLY. If you chrome it, it'll take away that vintage look and make it look like one of those overly shiny new Merkurs or even worse, Muhles. Those things are like little sparkly razors, and this razor should not look like that.
I didn't mean to offend users of either of those brands. I just really dislike how they look

If you wish to restore it to its glory - use silver!

If you just want to go for the look and have no interest in history, perhaps pink enamel might do!

Since you're asking, I would just leave it. I think the wear and tear it has seen over the years has given it some character, but maybe thats just me. I wouldn't be against restoring the interior however.

It hurts me to see my razors all torn up and unplated. I want them to shine at their best, but I don't want them to shine like an...let's say, "exotic dancer". Chrome razors (or those with plating like chrome: ahem...cough...Muhle...cough) look like "exotic dancers" to me, while NOS Vintage Gillette's shine and sparkle with class.
Again, YMMV. Hopefully my opinion about the LOOKS (not performance, haven't tried them) of certain razors does not offend anyone.

Edit: I actually do think that the chrome looks good on your NEW however. It's not an overly shiny or chromey car bumper style chrome. It's somewhat subdued. But for something as classy as an ABC set, I'd recommend silver or rhodium...or gold...

I'm still deciding but I will probably leave it as it is. Currently I'm polishing the silver to see how it goes. I'll post some pics on how I intend to do the interior.

There are two ways I was thinking of making the lining.
My first way was a sucess and thats what I'll be showing. I'm still working on the bottom of the case, the part that holds the razor and blade case.
You'll need: scissors, glue, beer in a can (drink the beer-if you're over 18/21) and some paper and some felt (I've decided to go with the bordeaux colour- partly cause it's classy, partly cause it was the only colour:biggrin:)

1.Cut the paper and see if it fits. Make adjustments to make it if just right.

proxy.php

2.Cut the beer can and straighten it. Use the paper to cut the can.

proxy.php

proxy.php

3.Bend and see if it fits.

proxy.php

4. If it's fine, glue the velvet, don't make any creases, be patient and clean.

proxy.php

Use enough glue but not too much. Cut the excess velvet and sow it all together in the back so it's nice and tight.

5. Wedge your creation in the ABC case. I can't take it out so no need to glue (and possibly ruin) an antique case.

Final product (I'm very happy with it)

proxy.php

very nice mate!

how are you going to do the bottom bit with the little compartments though, same kinda way?

on the replate issue: as the previous owner of the razor, I flirted with silver plating it. But I eventually decided that I liked it looking a little worn. Its nearly 100 years old, and has lots of character.

I'd leave it as is (but I would restore the insides of the case).

Incidentally, I think the chromed NEW looks great. I have a couple that I'd consider doing up like that -

but there's something about the ABC set... I'd clean it up & shine it up, but I'd not chrome/silver/gold/rhodium it. (But wouldn't a rhodium ABC just shine!)

Nope. Not that razor.

but - she's yours! Whatever makes you happy is the right thing to do.

Top Bottom