What's new

Cracked 1920 Bulldog

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would try to glue it back together and see how it goes.

Maybe some type of solder or welding could fix it- sorry about your razor.

Careful application of some two part epoxy (i.e. double bubble) or perhaps Gorilla Glue?

The handle wall is very thin. I'm wondering how to apply enough pressure to make a good glue bond at the edges without deforming the cylindrical shape? Also, would you glue with the head inserted, or try to force it in after gluing the handle?

The handle wall is very thin. I'm wondering how to apply enough pressure to make a good glue bond at the edges without deforming the cylindrical shape? Also, would you glue with the head inserted, or try to force it in after gluing the handle?

Definitely that one. You may even need to sand the inside if it won't go back together, but at least everything is stuck together.

How about using zip ties to hold the handle together after putting on the epoxy? Then using a small dowel to push excess glue out before it hardens, and leaving it crack side down to dry? After the epoxy dries, you remove the zip ties and put the razor together (hopefully).

Just thinking here, as I have a razor with exactly this problem...

I'm thinking that tube is history.
You can buy 3/8 brass tubing with .030 thick walls at most good hardware store.
Of course you'll be loosing the bulldog knurling.

Ed, That sure does sadden me t see that razor look like that. I don't think glue will help. It will just make a mess. Set it in it's case, crack down and enjoy it. When you shave, simply turn the crack from eye sight so you don't think of it. Sooner or later you'll find a replacement for the set. Everything else looks to be in great shape.

Ed, That sure does sadden me t see that razor look like that. I don't think glue will help. It will just make a mess. Set it in it's case, crack down and enjoy it. When you shave, simply turn the crack from eye sight so you don't think of it. Sooner or later you'll find a replacement for the set. Everything else looks to be in great shape.

I think I can just shave with the darned thing. It's in pretty good shave-shape in spite of the crack. Didn't come as part of a set though, but as part of a lot of odds and ends. I think the one thing that I can really use out of the lot is a good condition case for a slim adjustable! :tongue_sm

Anyone need a beatup blade stropper...:001_rolle

ed, that sure does sadden me t see that razor look like that. I don't think glue will help. It will just make a mess. Set it in it's case, crack down and enjoy it. When you shave, simply turn the crack from eye sight so you don't think of it. Sooner or later you'll find a replacement for the set. Everything else looks to be in great shape.

+1

Begin with the empty cylinder/barrel. Thin glaze of 2 part mixed clear waterproof epoxy on both sides of the crack. Now, 3 or 4 short lengths of thin plastic coated electrical wire. Manually twist one at the top and one at the bottom of the cylinder. Take a pliers and carefully keep twisting till the two sides of the crack join. Now repeat with the 3rd (and 4th if necessary) length of wire. Clean off excess glue. Devcon makes excellent 2 part epoxy. (DO NOT USE Gorilla, dries ugly brown. Great stuff but not for razors.)

Now at this point you'll have to decide whether to put the open comb head piece in. I see pluses and minuses. You will never get it out, but you will never have to. By putting it in, it could cause the seam to separate, so you may have to re-twist the lashing wires. If you don't put it in, it may be a tight squeeze after the epoxy is dry. And if you force it in, you may re-crack the barrel. Have fun. I think I'd put it in before the glue dried and relash. A bird in hand. Enjoy. Do it!

Top Bottom