What's new

First straight. Would a wedge be better?

My first straight edge came today. It's described as: NOS Radio 9/16, extra hollow ground "singing" blade with blued tang.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Pretty happy how it went, although my face looks like I need to learn to shave. There's slight shadow everywhere, especially the moustache area, the chin looks like I shaved yesterday, and I missed a spot at the back of my jaw. Couldn't quite do certain parts WTG, like under the jawline, so I went XTG, and it worked much better. Only one nick above the lip, but I went over that area about 7 times. Also felt a few love taps, so a little more care is in order. No burn or irritation, except for that nick.

Much as I want to reserve judgement for a while, I think this blade wasn't the best choice. There's a lot of places where the blade just won't move at any angle XTG or ATG, although WTG seems mostly fine. It just feels wrong, as if the blade's too thin. Probably should've got a wedge instead. Also seems like I should get a shorter length blade. Only part of the blade touched my skin most of the time, and I think a shorter blade length would be easier to maneuver.

wedge or no wedge, the actual cutting edge is the same width - so you'll still have the same problems youre having now.

youre just not used to using straights just yet, a bit more practice will have you using the full length of the blade more.

All that said, get a wedge and try it out! The more the merrier!

I agree about trying a heavier grind. The heft makes for more deliberate movements (might feel better when you're first starting out), and it also gives the blade some momentum, so sometimes it seems to shave more easily. Hang on to that Radio, though - you may well prefer a hollower grind later on.

Also, instead of a true wedge (with flat sides), I'd recommend a 1/4 hollow or something. You still get the heft without having to learn any special honing techniques.

Top Bottom