What's new

Mad Scientist!

OK, after my success with the VDH classic and Lilac Vegital experiment: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82514&highlight=lilac

I have a new experiment.

VDH Delux
Liquid Lanolin
Lavender and Tea Tree Oil.

Melting the puck, and adding the oils, and I hope I get something worthwhile.

If not, I am out a few bucks, and know not to do it again. :lol:

I am documenting this for posterity as well.

I added about a tablespoon of lanolin, maybe 1.5.
about 30-50 drops of the Lavender/Tea tree oil.
mixed with a bamboo skewer, when I let it rest, if any droplets of oil floated up, I mixed some more, until it was fully incorporated.

Last edited:
V

VR6ofpain

Remember when Deluxe had lanolin from the factory? I wish I had picked up a couple of those pucks before they changed the formula. That was my first shave soap. Loved the stuff. I switched over to the glycerin before moving onto other brands and thought it was better...but I never did an A/B comparision. I still have a puck of Select that I have never used.

I think the Tea Tree Oil idea is great. Great scent, love the cooling effect.

Nope, I have only been using soaps and brushes for about a year.

Update: as it was cooling, it appeared that some of the oils came to the surface, leaving a foamy looking skin.

Still liquid underneath, so I whipped it back in, didn't fully incorporate, but it's better than just on the top.

I seem to remember another experiment someone did with lanolin. If I remember correctly, it kind of killed the lather. Let us know how your experiment works out. And don't forget the evil Mr. Burns style laugh!:devil:

I seem to remember another experiment someone did with lanolin. If I remember correctly, it kind of killed the lather. Let us know how your experiment works out. And don't forget the evil Mr. Burns style laugh!:devil:

That was me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am going to call this one, a total success.:w00t:

While I did not use it for my shave today I did make a practice lather.
Thick, slippery creamy lather, that smelled just like, or maybe stronger than, T&H Lavender cream.
proxy.php

Not mixed quite enough yet.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Look at that!
proxy.php

The lather that was on the sides of the bowl from testing yesterday, has not really dried out.:eek:
It has hardened a bit, but is soft and rubbery, but not dry and flakey in the least(like T&H gets)
I can't wait for tomorrow to give it a proper test.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Interesting experiment. I did something similar with 2 glycerin soap and a tallow... The result bypassed the weakness of the soaps and only kept the strenghts!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Outside of the fun in experimenting, I don't see much value this sort of thing. There are so many great triple milled soaps available that work great all by themselves. I think I'll stick with them.

Just a pan, and a heat safe bowl in water. keeps it from burning, and i can keep it liquid long enough to blend the additives in.

What kind of temperature is required to get it to melt? I'm actually considering a candle warmer now. Don't ask why I have a candle warmer :lol:.

Could you do this with William's? I get good lather from the stuff, but the scent does nothing for me. I've recently aquired a bunch of P&G Old Spice cologne on closeout that might smell nice in a soap.

V

VR6ofpain

I have melted VDH Glycerin soap in the microwave several times with no issues. It actually takes a while to become solid again, so you could probably still mix in additives.

I had no problem also melting some Col. Conk Lime soap in the microwave as well.

Fnord5- Tell me about lanolin-
Where do you buy it?
How much does it cost?
What does it do to improve the lather/the subsequent shave?

I got it for free at work (Whole Foods)

I used it today, I think my straight needs a touchup hone, or my face was especially bumpy today, had a few weepers.

Overall, it added density to the lather, a nice cushion for the blade, and made it very slick.

A few hours after, and my face still feels super smooth and soft.
Lanolin adds moisturizing.

Top Bottom