What's new

Shave Cream smelling funky

I have some Mr. Taylors I haven't used in a while. I opened it today and it smelled a bit on the funky side. It's not really that bad and maybe it's just where I haven't smelled it in a while.

Do shave creams go bad in a few months of not being used?

Please check the PAO (Product After Opening) label on the jar.

The PAO label looks like this
proxy.php

It should have a number plus a 'M' inside the jar symbol. This number tells you how many months the shave cream is safe for the consumer to use AFTER INITIAL OPENING of the jar, which exposes it to germs/bacteria in the air and your fingers tainted with bacteria/germs.

Maybe your shave cream expired already?

I never knew about that. It says 12 months. I've had it about 3, but I smelling it again I am pretty sure it's turning. I'll stop dipping my damp brush in the tubs and use a small knife to scoop out the cream. Maybe that'll stop the stank.

I never knew about that. It says 12 months. I've had it about 3, but I smelling it again I am pretty sure it's turning. I'll stop dipping my damp brush in the tubs and use a small knife to scoop out the cream. Maybe that'll stop the stank.

Environments exposed to warm water (such as the one you are creating in your tub of cream) do tend to harbor more bacteria and molds. Whether or not they could distribute themselves throughout the cream, I do not know, and not knowing the particular ingredients in the cream I cannot say if they would have any source of food to keep the colony going (but if any skin flakes had manged to remain on the brush, and been rubbed off when dipped in the cream, this would provide a source of food for bacteria, perhaps enough at least to create a colony large enough to smell funny). If things do not improve by removing the cream with a small knife, I would toss it, regardless of whether or not some bacteria may have moved in.

Top Bottom