What's new

Clarification of Old Type razors

Razors with different handle mechanisms are referred to as old type. In some the handle screws on the head like a Tech. In others there is a long piece that threads in the handle. Someone please clarify how to call these. I would personally refer to the lower picture as old type, but I'm not sure about the upper picture. I've seen that razor referred to as old type.

Last edited:
They're both Old types. The top photo with the fixed guard is the original configuration. The seperate handle with the loose guard started with the pocket editions in 1908. I prefer the original setup with the fixed guard, but as always YMMV.

Okay. Then how about single and double ring razors. Are they sometimes confused with old types. How do you tell them apart from the original configuration?
Are the heads the same even though the handles are different?

This is called a single ring, and not an old type, in a post. How is this different from the razor in the OP?

It is an Old Type. The Double Ring and Single Ring names refer to the handles. They still use the same Old Type guard and head, the guard is just fixed to the outer handle. BTW, that pic is my '07 Single Ring before I cleaned it. It looks better now:
attachment.php

Last edited:
To summarize: Old type with either single ring, double ring, or pocket edition handles. Evidently the pocket edition, tech type handle is the most common. I would call the razor pictured, old type, pocket style, ball-end handle. This little beat up razor is well used and full of charm.

The term "Old Type" was actually first introduced upon the introduction of the New Improved line in 1921. Certain low end sets were produced with the term printed on the upper interior of the case to differentiate them from the new high end New Improved models. These low end "Old Types" co-existed with the New Improved razors through 1929. (Thanks to Achim for the illustration.)

proxy.php

Eventually, all Gillettes with the Old Type cap and guard designs came to be known by the general term Old Type. You see, prior to 1921 there was really no need to differentiate the major design by name because it was the only major design Gillette had ever produced. It was simply the Gillette.

So it is better to refer to handle type (bulldog, single ring, ball end) rather than calling all these razors Old Type?

So it is better to refer to handle type (bulldog, single ring, ball end) rather than calling all these razors Old Type?

I usually use the Old Type designation when there could be any confusion. The same ball end handle was used with the Old Type, Goodwill and early NEW's. A similar, but distinctly different handle design was, of course, used with the Tech. I call it the "ball tip", instead. Anyway, as ball end was the only handle used with the Goodwills mention of the handle isn't necessary. But, ball end could apply to either the Old Types or NEW's, therefore I always include the model name along with the handle design when referring to them.

The Old Type Bulldog handle design has appeared on several Gillettes (30's Aristocrat, Executive, #66, etc.) over the years, but there was really only the one true Bulldog, so that name alone does suffice.

I usually use the Old Type designation when there could be any confusion. The same ball end handle was used with the Old Type, Goodwill and early NEW's. A similar, but distinctly different handle design was, of course, used with the Tech. I call it the "ball tip", instead. Anyway, as ball end was the only handle used with the Goodwills mention of the handle isn't necessary. But, ball end could apply to either the Old Types or NEW's, therefore I always include the model name along with the handle design when referring to them.

The Old Type Bulldog handle design has appeared on several Gillettes (30's Aristocrat, Executive, #66, etc.) over the years, but there was really only the one true Bulldog, so that name alone does suffice.

I'm still mildly confused, but I'll study the answers and try and figure it out!

Well, to try to answer a little clearer, yes, it is best to refer to the handle, as well, when referencing a specific type of Old Type model. But, when referring to the general design, which is characterized by a cap with positioning pins coupled with a matching curved guard plate with positioning holes, "Old Type" is sufficient.

By the way, the New Improved differs from the Old Type mainly with the introduction of the flat guard plate which lifts the blade naturally off the comb's teeth.

Thank you! The Wiki certainly needs work in the area of these razors.

Yes. I agree that it would be helpful if the Wiki was "fleshed out" quite a bit in several areas, but unfortunately the Wiki maintenance is a voluntary affair and not a full-time job, therefore it is understandably overwhelming.

Thank you gents, that was helpful. Does the Krumholz book contain this type of info?

Yes, Krumholz does contain quite a bit of this information, but one must weigh the fact that he wrote that book during a mostly "pre-internet info" period and many contradictory facts have come to light since then. It makes a great source to use as factor, not as an absolute do all say all.

Top Bottom