What's new

Open Comb Users

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some open comb users input. It seems to me that the open comb would let more cream/soap remain on the skin when the blade contacts it (as opposed to the safety bar scraping most of it away) therefore giving a smoother shave?

Am I correct?

I'm really wanting to try one.

Thanks,

Eric

You are probably correct about the open comb not scraping away the soap before the blade contacts the skin. But note that the Merkur open comb heads are less aggressive (with a smaller blade gap) than their safety bar heads (I switched from a 34c to an 11c), so while the shave feels more comfortable, it is also a tiny bit less close. I consider that a good thing (less irritation/weepers), but YMMV.

Eric:
If you want to try an opened comb, don't waste your time and money on any of this new stuff.
Get yourself a Gillette NEW with long combs, they're inexpensive and great shavers and if you make yourself a custom heavier handle you'll get a different shaving experience then the light weight stock handle.

Eric:
If you want to try an opened comb, don't waste your time and money on any of this new stuff.
Get yourself a Gillette NEW with long combs, they're inexpensive and great shavers and if you make yourself a custom heavier handle you'll get a different shaving experience then the light weight stock handle.

Very good advice for sure not to mention that Gillette is a far superior razor than any of the new stuff out there today.

Very good advice for sure not to mention that Gillette is a far superior razor than any of the new stuff out there today.

All the currently made opened combed razors seem to be patterned after the Gillette Old Type (probably because it's easy to produce) while Gillette had 2 generations of opened comb razor designs after the Old Type.
Now I like shaving with the Old Type but I like the New Standard and the NEW a lot more.

They look good, they shave great, and the price is right.

It would be very interesting to make a graph that showed a timeline of Gillette razor models, and then let B&B member vote on quality of shave for each introduction. Once it was averaged out, I'd wager the NEW would fare well against some of the more glamorous TTO models.

Eric:

Best advice thus far!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The fact that the open comb won't pick-up as much lather than a close comb is correct. The blade will do the work in this case. As mentionned up there, the 'aggressivness' of the razor depends on the blade gap. I was lucky to get a Gillette NEW made in England in a very good condition. That Gillette is a bit more aggressive than is cousin made in USA. Using one or the other, those are great performers.

Since a few days I added to my shaving toolbox a Merkur 15C open comb. IMHO it is the most gentle DE razor ever: very forgiving of pressure, incorrect angle, other poor technical habits.
On the other hand it seems to shave less close than the traditional bar.

The open comb Gillette's are great .I have the old style ,new standard,new, and a sheradon and get great shaves from all of them.

I now have two. Gillette OLD type and Gillette Senator. The OLD takes more care as seems more aggressive than the Senator. As far as smooth goes...for me the safetybar models seem smoother and quicker.

I've not tried any NEW Brit-aggressive/USA-milder. Are both Brit and USA models short=mild and long=wild toothed combs?

Compared to the OLD and Senator TTO, how do the various (4 types? USA/BRIT, Short/Long comb) shape up?

I am surmising the TTO combs are the 'same' so far as comb design and blade gap be they BRIT or USA, Aristo #15/#19, #47/Popular, Sheraton/Senator?

Great Stuff Everyone,

Thank You.

Time to hit "the bay" for a Gillette hopefully.

Take Care,

Eric

The Gillette New open comb is a fine razor, it will punish poor technique though, the secret is to use as little pressure as possible.

A well proportioned, well made, solid piece of shaving kit, very under rated.

Eric:

ditto as above. i've got a gold new and it shave's very nice. mind you there are 2 different teeth patterns though. (i can't take credit for the pic as i borrow it some another user-forgot his name)

proxy.php

How do these razors compare to the modern Muhle R41 and Merkur Open comb razors? I want an open comb as my next razor and recently seen a gold coloured Gillette NEW locally still in box. Razor in fair condition box a bit tatty but was around £5. (looks like the one on the right of the above picture)

Worth buying?

How do these razors compare to the modern Muhle R41 and Merkur Open comb razors? I want an open comb as my next razor and recently seen a gold coloured Gillette NEW locally still in box. Razor in fair condition box a bit tatty but was around £5. (looks like the one on the right of the above picture)

Worth buying?

Yup. I would definitely pick it up if I was you. If for some reason it doesn't suit you it can always be sold here for at least that amount.

In no way do I pretend to know enough to buy and sell for a profit. When I seen it if it was in perfect condition I do know enough to realise it would have been worth something to a collector, however with the slight tarnishing and tatty box it put me off a bit. Functionally it looks good and for £5 I suppose I can't go wrong.

Thanks will swing by tomorrow and see if it's still there.....fingers crossed.

Top Bottom