What's new

Which brand of Alum block should I buy?

Hey all,

2 weeks into DE shaving now and looking at getting an Alum block. However I'm just wondering does the brand matter at all when getting one.

What does anyone know about e-Shave ??

For alum, it doesn't matter. Some brands have a prettier box, but that's about it. As one of my exes used to say: "Same sh*t, different smell". Except alum doesn't have a scent, so you're good. ;)

Do what I did. Go into an ethnic store aka Indian store and ask if they sell Alum Block. If they answer yes then ask how much. If they reply $1 buy it.

David

i've noticed a difference between the 2 different Alum Blocs i have

the more expensive one ( about £10 for 100grams ) is a better quality, smoother and looks more solid if that makes sense :confused:
the cheaper one ( half that price ) is a little rougher on the surface and the crystals don't look that compact inside
BUT
they both work the same

classic shaving has a good price on a really large alum bloc that comes in a case.

otherwise, brand does not matter...just don't overpay for the AOS

i've noticed a difference between the 2 different Alum Blocs i have

the more expensive one ( about £10 for 100grams ) is a better quality, smoother and looks more solid if that makes sense :confused:
the cheaper one ( half that price ) is a little rougher on the surface and the crystals don't look that compact inside
BUT
they both work the same

Exactly my experience as well. Ordered a $15 TOBS alum block and the vendor threw in a big no-name block for free...never opened the TOBS alum and the free one has been doing it's job for over a year now (though it does look a little less 'dense' if that makes sense).

Why do ethnic stores usually carry it? The Asian store near me always has a lot of it.

I can only speak for Indian stores because that's where I find things. It's because traditional wetshaving remains so popular. At the same time, it hasn't been transformed into some kind of art of leisure (and I say this as one who likes nice soaps, etc.)--it's still very much a conventional part of everyday life. So you can buy good creams, blades, etc. for reasonable prices (although you typically don't find higher end brushes, triple-milled soaps, etc). And Alum blocks are part of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom