What's new

The $20 challenge

A friend of mine and I stopped in the local AoS to poke around. The clerk showed us a lovely $600 brush. I told her that since I enjoyed being married that I probably shouldn't bring it home. This led to a conversation with my friend about making an inexpensive brush. It had to be 'different' and not turned wood (I taught cabinet making for 15 years and I am skilled on a lathe while he is not). It should have a badger knot and cost around $20 in total. I am sure we aren't the only ones who have thought about this and was wondering what ideas any of you have had.

Here is my first try...a 22mm Finest knot from Golden Nib

Yes, the golf ball is a stroke of genius, and I'd bet a lot of guys would like one.

As for other things, my mind immediately went to wooden finials and cabinet handles, but then I remembered the rules- no wood, has to be different.

What about a chess piece?
Salt and Pepper shakers?

Oh, waitaminute... A shotgun shell. You could cut off the crimped end of the plastic, fill it with silicone caulking, let it dry, knot it with marine epoxy, click-click DONE!

Last edited:
Wilson!

proxy.php

I hate this, I keep thinking of stuff.

Since I mentioned using a shotgun shell, I started thinking about hunting and ...

What about using a duck call?

You might want to copyright your design ASAP.

Way cool!

I'm working on a custom deluxe brush using a Van Der Hagen brush handle and a knot from the Golden Nib. I am planning on using the more expensive knot though... Because we know- it's about the knot not the handle...

The act of creation automatically carries with it a copyright. How you copyright adding a brush knot to a golf ball owned by another company, I've no idea. That's another legal snare entirely.

Top Bottom