What's new

B&B Classic Cocktails -- The Sazerac

First, a confession. Before this week, I had never actually made a Sazerac. To me, the drink was a certain ethereal concoction that required Peychaud's Bitters and Absinthe -- two ingredients I don't usually stock at home. This had to change at some point, and I was on a mission last weekend and located both. Since that point, I've made quite a few and developed a strong fondness for the drink -- and although I consider this pictoral guide a bit of a fraud (in that some might take it with some small measure of authority and credibility if it weren't for this opening disclaimer), I've worked up a recipe that I'm quite satisfied with.

Some consider the Sazerac to be the first cocktail created in America, and is particularly popular in New Orleans, its birthplace. Originally believed to be mixed with Cognac as a base liquor, the modern Sazerac is made with Rye, Peychaud's Bitters, Sugar, Absinthe, and a lemon twist:

Your supplies.
full

For two reasons, we fill the rocks glass from which we'll sip the drink with ice water at the outset. First, its best if the glass is cold. Second, we're going to be "coating" the glass with absinthe and the small amount of leftover water after we dump out the ice assists that step.

full

Drop a sugar cube into your mixing vessel. This can be a shaker, as I'm using here (simply to keep the mess I'm about to make to a minimum), or just another rocks glass.

full

And add several dashes of Peychaud's Bitters. Some add a single dash of Agnostura alongside, but I tried it and prefer the Peychaud's-only.

full

Be generous with the bitters. This is good stuff.

full

Then add just enough water to cover the sugar cube.

full

And muddle. Take your time and muddle completely, dissolving all the sugar. It'll take a minute, but you want this step to be free of any granulated sugar, so that your drink is consistent and appropriately sweetened.

full

After muddling with the sugar completely dissolved:

full

Now add your rye. I used two shot-glasses full (~2.5 fl oz) of Russell's Reserve. Unfortunately, Sazerac Rye is not available here in Ohio -- but many Sazerac devotees insist on the Sazerac brand.

full

full

Now give your shaker a good swirl and set aside.

Now the fun part. Dump the ice water out of your glass and add a small splash of Absinthe to it. What's that you say? Absinthe? Well, my friend, certain brands of Absinthe are now legal in the United States. You won't be able to get the hardcore thujone monsters you can sometimes find online (which many believe are of dubious authenticity anyway), but what's out there seems to get the job done. I've selected "Grande Absente," distilled in Provence France (it only seems appropriate). If the newer brands of absinthe aren't available in your area, Herbisant or Pernod are previously-available brands to look for.

full

Swirl the glass several times to coat it, then quickly pour out any remaining absinthe.

full

Now go back to your shaker and drop in ice. 4-5 cubes should be fine.

full

And give your shaker another few good hard swirls, or use your bar spoon to stir. I don't recommend shaking this drink. If you use a shaker, you can easily stir without making a mess -- I found this a lot more difficult using another regular rocks glass filled up basically to the top with ice and liquor, but I'm a bit of a klutz.

full

And strain into your absinthe-coated glass.

full

Ahhh...

full

Now take a lemon twist and give it a good squeeze to release the oils from the zest...

full

...and drop it in. I skewered mine with a plastic cocktail sword, because I felt like it. :tongue:

full

And there you have it! The Sazerac! Or at least my attempt.

Its an attempt I'm quite satisfied with though, and I hope you are too. Let me know if I left anything out, or if you have any tips/tricks I overlooked in my "exhaustive" research. :wink:

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent job!

Just curious: how much should one expect to drop on a bottle of absinthe these days?

Here they're all $50-60 or so. Its still a bit steep, but its powerful stuff if you like the taste and doing the water/sugar cube ritual.

Three cheers, this is very well done. :w00t::w00t::w00t:

First Sazerac I ever had was at Boston's Eastern Standard where the cocktail is made with seven, yes 7, dashes of Pechaud's.

Original Sazeracs were made with brandy, give one a try. Dale DeGroff has made them with half rye-half brandy.

All delicious.

I did a Sazerac Cocktail tour of New Orleans, last spring. Unfortunately, I did not make it to the Fairmont Hotel, the current host of the original bar where it was originated. They were doing major construction on the street and I honestly could not find the hotel. But I had them at Restaurant August, K Paul's Louisiana Kitchen, Commander's Palace, and a couple of other places. It was tremendous fun.

BTW, in my opinion, the one served at K Paul's was the best.

Tim

Oddly enough the wife and I spent our wedding night at the Fairmont and I failed to try one, though in my defense I was a bit distracted at the time.

I didn't realize that real Absinthe was available again in the states, but sure enough Spec's had a half-dozen brands on the shelves. The wife is a big fan of Sazerac Rye, so the Absinthe was the only ingredient missing from our bar, and umm well I'm on my second right now and in the perfect condition to figure out the races in this massively multithreaded system I'm working on. Once I get those d*mned flying dolphins out of the way...

edit: d*mn it the dolphins knocked me out of my chair again. Canned tuna for supper tonight - I'll show them...

Last edited:
Oddly enough the wife and I spent our wedding night at the Fairmont and I failed to try one, though in my defense I was a bit distracted at the time.

I didn't realize that real Absinthe was available again in the states, but sure enough Spec's had a half-dozen brands on the shelves. The wife is a big fan of Sazerac Rye, so the Absinthe was the only ingredient missing from our bar, and umm well I'm on my second right now and in the perfect condition to figure out the races in this massively multithreaded system I'm working on. Once I get those d*mned flying dolphins out of the way...

edit: d*mn it the dolphins knocked me out of my chair again. Canned tuna for supper tonight - I'll show them...

:lol::lol::lol:

As a born and bred New Orleanian, I can only say very well done Pat. Just exactly perfect. The only thing I do differently is freeze the glass. I find that doing so causes some of the Pernod/Absinthe/Pastis to freeze to the glass when you rinse it. Does it make a difference other than the purely cosmetic? Perhaps, perhaps not.

As for purists demanding Sazerac Rye...well the original Sazeracs were made with brandy, should any purists care to split hairs. Moreover, we've always used Old Overholt Rye in my family.

Last edited:
Mmmmm, Sazeracs

One question - is there an advantage to muddling a sugar cube over using simple syrup?

I muddle a sugar cube into an orange round in my Old Fashioneds (I know, I know, but "fruit cocktail" Old Fashioneds are the house style at Chez Roget) to release the oily citrus goodness, but I wonder if simple syrup wouldn't substitute acceptably in this preparation.

Roger

Last edited:
I had my first Sazerac at Brennan's in New Orleans.

What a beautiful, classic cocktail.

Thank God very few have screwed with it like they have with the Martini. I wish people would just leave beautiful simplicity alone.

Thank God very few have screwed with it like they have with the Martini. I wish people would just leave beautiful simplicity alone.

One of these days we'll come full-circle, and somebody will introduce juniper-flavored vodka for the ultimate vodka martini...

FWIW, Jim Beam Rye, while an otherwise admirable rye, sucks **** for Sazeracs....

I've got a new favorite cocktail, and have discovered I've got a distressing fondness for absinthe. The french genes probably don't help...

How much of an anise/licorice taste does the absinthe impart to the drink? I thought about trying this while my New Orleanian wife and I watch the Super Bowl, but she hates licorice. Should I just move on to something else?

How much of an anise/licorice taste does the absinthe impart to the drink? I thought about trying this while my New Orleanian wife and I watch the Super Bowl, but she hates licorice. Should I just move on to something else?

Make one and let her try it. If she hates it, drink it yourself and make her something else. The Sazerac is by far my favorite cocktail. When I am in New Orleans, I have at least one, every day.

Tim

Very little. It mostly just adds a certain unidentifiable complexity to the drink. It's really not the same without it.

Top Bottom