What's new

Wow! (GEM's inside)

V

VR6ofpain

proxy.php

This will fetch a lot I am sure.

V

VR6ofpain

I was thinking, this means the razor is not a G-Bar after all? Maybe it is just a "Heavy Flat Top" razor?

I was thinking, this means the razor is not a G-Bar after all? Maybe it is just a "Heavy Flat Top" razor?

Yes, ASR never did call this a "G-Bar". I think that name was likely coined by someone on one of these forums. There was also an Ever-Ready version of this razor that I haven't really heard anyone give a name to.

Regards,
Tom

Yes, ASR never did call this a "G-Bar". I think that name was likely coined by someone on one of these forums. There was also an Ever-Ready version of this razor that I haven't really heard anyone give a name to.

Regards,
Tom

Tom, I'm trying to remember the ER version, was that the one where it's blank in the spot that Gem put the "G" at the bottom of the handle? or was that just a dream I had?

Tom, I'm trying to remember the ER version, was that the one where it's blank in the spot that Gem put the "G" at the bottom of the handle? or was that just a dream I had?

Your memory is correct. The Ever-Ready doesn't have any letter in that locaton but the blank circle is still there. I would like to see an Ever-Ready version in it's original packaging. I'm also still trying to get a better handle on just when these razors were produced.

Regards,
Tom

Your memory is correct. The Ever-Ready doesn't have any letter in that locaton but the blank circle is still there. I would like to see an Ever-Ready version in it's original packaging. I'm also still trying to get a better handle on just when these razors were produced.

Regards,
Tom

Packaging

Packaging

Thanks for posting the picture. Interesting that it was almost identical to the Gem but had the Ever-Ready name molded into to styrene case lid. Do you happen to know if there was originally some kind of outer cardboard sleeve with printing on it? From the looks of the picture in the original post on this thread, the Gem didn't have much printing that might give any clues to it's age except the postal zone number in the address.

Regards
Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the picture. Interesting that it was almost identical to the Gem but had the Ever-Ready name molded into to styrene case lid. Do you happen to know if there was originally some kind of outer cardboard sleeve with printing on it? From the looks of the picture in the original post on this thread, the Gem didn't have much printing that might give any clues to it's age except the postal zone number in the address.

Regards
Tom

Sorry, I can't help you any further with that.

V

VR6ofpain

Buy this item on ebay, or ask for a photo of the cardboard back. Maybe there is more info.

Buy this item on ebay, or ask for a photo of the cardboard back. Maybe there is more info.

I'm not sure I need six more G-Bars, but your idea of asking for a photo is a good one. I've sent a message to the seller asking if there is any printing on the back, and if so, could they send a picture.

Thanks,
Tom

V

VR6ofpain

Nice. I really want to load my Featherweight with one of the Duridium blades that is with my G-Bar. Anyone shaved with a Duridium blade? They must be stainless as they have no rust.

Nice. I really want to load my Featherweight with one of the Duridium blades that is with my G-Bar. Anyone shaved with a Duridium blade? They must be stainless as they have no rust.

Gabe, on an earlier thread a week or so ago, Ontario posted a link to an ad for the Duridium blades. That ad was dated 1952. That would indicate that these blades were of a vintage preceding the coated blades. This being the case, I would advise you to be prepared for a less than comfortable shave if you attempt to use them.

I was using DE rather than SE blades in those days, but I never got anything resembling a comfortable shave prior to the introduction of the first coated blade which was the Gillette Super Blue Blade in 1958. Before those blades, I used to use a new blade for every shave and I still wasn't sure how many whiskers were being cut off and how many were being pulled out! :w00t:

Regards,
Tom

V

VR6ofpain

That would indicate that these blades were of a vintage preceding the coated blades.
Currently I get the best SE shaves from uncoated carbon steel Treet blades. Far smoother and closer shave than Pella/GEM Personna stainless blades
I tried using a nos Duridium blade from a sealed pack that came with my G-Bar.:rolleyes: Not advised.:redface: Rough as guts.:smile:
Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll keep them unused.

Great to have some guys looking out for everyone here. I could have turned my face into ground beef (thinking of the photos Joel posted after his first Feather Artist Club shave... i.e. lots of blood!).

Gabe, are you sure the Treet blades you've been using are uncoated? I know some carbon steel Treet blades are PTFE coated, but I believe there is more than one variety of Treets out there.

At one time in the late 40's or so, the Treet name belonged to ASR, but I think they sold it in about 1952. I believe the current company is somewhere in the middle or far east . . . Pakastan, perhaps?

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom