What's new

healing damaged skin while still shaving?

dear members, i've improved my technique considerable since joining B&B; using an HD and Futur with a variety of creams and alum block and aftershaves. my question is regarding how to heal my skin that i've damaged over the many years before this forum. i'm a black guy w/ lighter complexion skin so the areas i shave are now darker/redder than the rest of my face. i suffer fewer ingrown but still at the base of my neck. i shave wtg a couple of times than a very light xtg. like i mentioned my shaves are better and more comfortable but is there a post shave routine that can bring my shaved areas closer to my actual complexion? thanks.

dear members, i've improved my technique considerable since joining B&B; using an HD and Futur with a variety of creams and alum block and aftershaves. my question is regarding how to heal my skin that i've damaged over the many years before this forum. i'm a black guy w/ lighter complexion skin so the areas i shave are now darker/redder than the rest of my face. i suffer fewer ingrown but still at the base of my neck. i shave wtg a couple of times than a very light xtg. like i mentioned my shaves are better and more comfortable but is there a post shave routine that can bring my shaved areas closer to my actual complexion? thanks.

Hi carloverfast2
I suffered a similar problem when I started wetshaving (although, I'm dark-skinned, so it wasn't quite as noticeable). What really helped me was a routine I started to use, and have continued to use since with great results.

While the skin is still healing, continue to shave daily, but only WTG in the problem areas, so as not to disturb the area too much. (a good pre-shave prep is key here, as well as using a very light touch. Remember, you're not going for really close shaves yet, they will come)
Follow the shave with an application of Aloe Vera Gel while the face is still wet and allow to air dry.
Then apply a natural balm or moisturizer. It's very important to keep the area moisturized, so re-apply during the day, if possible, and avoid alcohol-based aftershaves. I would recommend going to a health store and getting a natural shave balm or moisturizer, because the irritation you suffer MAY be a reaction to parabens or other possibly harmful ingredients found in some products. (I should note that most people don't suffer adverse reactions to parabens, but it's better at this stage to eliminate things which could affect you)
Purchase a small facial brush or a soft loofah from a drug store, and a natural moisturizing soap (olive oil or shea butter soap), and exfoliate your shave area on an evening, prior to your morning shave, working the soap into the skin with the brush in small circles. Don't press too hard, but be firm. This will remove dead skin layers and also lift ingrown hairs. Rinse off the soap and apply Aloe Vera Gel as a healing face mask, or moisturize the area.
Repeating this night treatment will, over a few weeks, promote new skin growth, which should be closer to your natural complexion and should clear the area of rashes, blemishes and ingrowns, making for a smooth shaving surface. This should then enable you to do extra passes on your shave once the area has cleared. A really good exfoliating soap, which smells great is here . I use it as an all over body wash as well.

Hope that's helpful and you get the results you want.
Happy shaving!!:001_smile

that seems like a great process. you mention a facial brush, i assume a soft toothbrush can do the same job? also, after the aloe i have some Vit E oil that i may use, do you think it could replace the moisturizer? thanks.

Yes to both! Vit E oil will definitely help the healing process of the skin. I've also used extra virgin olive oil or organic coconut oil to aid skin repair, both with excellent results. :001_smile

I use a mixture of 45% extra virgin olive oil, 45% cold pressed castor oil and 10% vitamin E oil along with a few drops of some essential oil. Tea tree oil is one of my favorites essential oils for use on the face. I use it instead of soap twice a day. Put it on the face, then use a series of towels with hot water to open the pores and take the oil off.

Top Bottom