What's new

anyone here from Minneapolis?

I know there are at least a couple of you out there. quick question, does anyone know of any shops in the Twin Cities that sell safety razors, creams, brushes, etc.? I only just heard about a placed called heimies haberdashery in downtown st paul but it's a little outta the way for me. I believe they stock truefitt & hill products but I was wondering if there was other game in town besides these guys? bueller?

I'm also from the Minneapolis Area (Western Suburbs).

I haven't been to Heimie's Haberdashery yet, but plan to go there for a barber shave someday soon.

Winston's Barber Shop on Lake Street (West of Hennepin) carries E Shave.
They also have a shop downtown. I think its in the skyway level of Macy's.

Crabtree & Evelyn has a store at Southdale and I believe they have one at the MOA.

My favorite place for soaps, creams, and aftershaves is The Garden of Eden on Grand Avenue in St. Paul (Grand & Victoria). They don't have a wide selection, but I like everything they have (Col. Conk Soap, Kiehl's men's products, Kiss My Face, Pre de Provence, Lightfoot, Lucky Tiger, some Crabtree & Evelyn after shaves, some Caswell Massey Aftershaves, Royall Cologne. There's probably more, but I can't remember all. They only carry one brush and it is a Col. Conk bristle.

If you find any more places, please post them here.

Glad to find another Minnesotan!

I know there are at least a couple of you out there. quick question, does anyone know of any shops in the Twin Cities that sell safety razors, creams, brushes, etc.? I only just heard about a placed called heimies haberdashery in downtown st paul but it's a little outta the way for me. I believe they stock truefitt & hill products but I was wondering if there was other game in town besides these guys? bueller?

Winston's Barber Shop on Lake Street (West of Hennepin) carries E Shave.
They also have a shop downtown. I think its in the skyway level of Macy's.

Crabtree & Evelyn has a store at Southdale and I believe they have one at the MOA.

My favorite place for soaps, creams, and aftershaves is The Garden of Eden on Grand Avenue in St. Paul (Grand & Victoria). They don't have a wide selection, but I like everything they have (Col. Conk Soap, Kiehl's men's products, Kiss My Face, Pre de Provence, Lightfoot, Lucky Tiger, some Crabtree & Evelyn after shaves, some Caswell Massey Aftershaves, Royall Cologne. There's probably more, but I can't remember all. They only carry one brush and it is a Col. Conk bristle.

If you find any more places, please post them here.

Glad to find another Minnesotan!

thanks for the info. i've only been to the C&E at Southdale but found their selection incredibly small. don't know if i'll ever get around to checking out Winston's Barber shop but I might have to check Garden of Eden. how would you rate the Col. Conk brush? is it imitation or real badger hair?

thanks for the info. i've only been to the C&E at Southdale but found their selection incredibly small. don't know if i'll ever get around to checking out Winston's Barber shop but I might have to check Garden of Eden. how would you rate the Col. Conk brush? is it imitation or real badger hair?

I haven't tried the Col. Conk bristle brush, so I can't comment.

I have two bristle brushes, but I don't really use them since I moved to Badger. I have the Omega red handle that comes in a set with a tub of Omega soap and a no-name (Club K?) bristle brush that came as part of a "set" I purchased on the BST. Ever since I moved to Badger, I haven't gone back. I have read quite a few posts here in the forums from folks who prefer boar (bristle) to badger. You might try to search for them.

Regading the C&E at Southdale, I scored their last CE/EJ Best Badger Brush.
When I read on B&B that this brush was highly recommended, but discontinued, I called that store to see if they still had one. Got their last one and had to drive through heavy snow to get it. It was worth it.

Regarding Garden of Eden, this is from an earlier post of mine that more or less lists the shaving items they carry. Since then, they have added Lucky Tiger.

Colonel Conk Soap
Colonel Conk Styptic Pencil
Pre de Provence Shave Soap
Pre de Provence Shave Cream
Pre de Provence Aftershave Cream
Lightfoot Pine Shave Soap
Kiss My Face Shaving Cream
Alba Shaving Cream
Kiehl's Men's Products
Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood and Nomad
Garden of Eden Aloe Shave Gel
Garden of Eden Vitamin E After Shave Lotion

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=921960&postcount=2

Here is another post listing the stores at MOA

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=406311&postcount=1

Crabtree and Evelyn
The Body Shop
Bath and Body Works
Sephora
Perfumania
L'Occitane
Aveda

If you go to Garden of Eden, pop into Bread & Chocolate in the same mall and try a Fabulous Fudge Bar or check out Cafe Latte in the building kitty corner. Best desserts in the Twin Cities! Their Tres Leche cake is killer!

Please post an update of what you find in your shopping sprees.

I haven't tried the Col. Conk bristle brush, so I can't comment.

I have two bristle brushes, but I don't really use them since I moved to Badger. I have the Omega red handle that comes in a set with a tub of Omega soap and a no-name (Club K?) bristle brush that came as part of a "set" I purchased on the BST. Ever since I moved to Badger, I haven't gone back. I have read quite a few posts here in the forums from folks who prefer boar (bristle) to badger. You might try to search for them.

Regading the C&E at Southdale, I scored their last CE/EJ Best Badger Brush.
When I read on B&B that this brush was highly recommended, but discontinued, I called that store to see if they still had one. Got their last one and had to drive through heavy snow to get it. It was worth it.

I was thinking of going with a Rooney badger brush from classicshaving.com. they've got a couple of nice ones in the $50-60 range that look good. I had briefly considerd dragging myself to heimies in downtown st paul and look at their truefitt & hill goods but I believe their site only lists the ones that cost $150. I can't justify spending that kinda money on a badger brush :eek:

thanks for the links. i'll defo check out some of those stores at the MOA. I don't have many opportunities to get down to Victoria's crossing but i'll check out the bread & chocolate joint someday. it's been years since i've been to cafe latte. I remember when they're used to be a parking lot across the street, now it's some building.

In addition to the above if you're around the Southdale Mall in Edina pop across the street to The Galleria. There is a L'Occitane there and I JUST found that there is also a store (called Ampersand, I believe, it's hard to find the name on the outside) completely stocked with AOS (brushes, creams, soaps, straights, strops, etc.) along with some Kiehl's. They seem to have a much better selection of AOS compared to Nordstrom's in MOA so I'm really excited. Also, check out Winston's Barber Shop on Lake St. in Uptown. They have a selection of e-Shave products (brushes, creams, and aftershaves).

I live in Downtown St. Paul. I can vouch for Heimie's for a shave. Mustache Jim did a phenomenal job on my wedding day. They do sell some products, but I'm relatively new at this so I am not a huge expert. They had a few brush/razor sets, and some Truefit and Hill for sale. The last time I was getting a haircut there, someone else asked for blades, but they were out.

What songs did Mustache Jim sing for you? I would recommend checking out the contents of the T&H tubs of cream before purchase. When I was in there they were getting a little dried out. Awesome barber shop, awesome haberdashery.

Last edited:
I live in Downtown St. Paul. I can vouch for Heimie's for a shave. Mustache Jim did a phenomenal job on my wedding day. They do sell some products, but I'm relatively new at this so I am not a huge expert. They had a few brush/razor sets, and some Truefit and Hill for sale. The last time I was getting a haircut there, someone else asked for blades, but they were out.

Belated congratulation on your wedding!

I need to make an appointment at Heimie's in the near future.

Does anyone know someone who had a shave from Tina?

What songs did Mustache Jim sing for you? I would recommend checking out the contents of the T&H tubs of cream before purchase. When I was in there they were getting a little dried out. Awesome barber shop, awesome haberdashery.

No singing for me, unfortunately... I was a little too shy to ask. But, I did spring for shaves for my father and my father-in-law. Hopefully, I made converts out of them, too.

As for the creams, so far I'm satisfied with the Body Shop cream I've been using, so I'll leave good enough alone for now.

No singing for me, unfortunately... I was a little too shy to ask. But, I did spring for shaves for my father and my father-in-law. Hopefully, I made converts out of them, too.

As for the creams, so far I'm satisfied with the Body Shop cream I've been using, so I'll leave good enough alone for now.

Wow, I just dropped in to check out the shaving supply's and he broke into product jingle with every new product he showed me. You know they do not call him Mustache Jim the singing barber for nothing.

Hey fellow twin cities dwellers,
Just found that TBS Mart on 78th Ave. S and Portland (I believe this is technically Bloomington) sells Godrej shave creams (the Rich Foam and Lime versions). It's only $2.50 a tube if you're interested in checking out this Indian Shave Cream that's gotten some good reviews. The one thing I do have to say is that it has a cologne-type scent that I wasn't fond of at first whiff (Rich Foam version). It does contain lanolin as well. Will have to see how it shaves tomorrow.
Cheers,
Ben

In addition to the above if you're around the Southdale Mall in Edina pop across the street to The Galleria. There is a L'Occitane there and I JUST found that there is also a store (called Ampersand, I believe, it's hard to find the name on the outside) completely stocked with AOS (brushes, creams, soaps, straights, strops, etc.) along with some Kiehl's. They seem to have a much better selection of AOS compared to Nordstrom's in MOA so I'm really excited. Also, check out Winston's Barber Shop on Lake St. in Uptown. They have a selection of e-Shave products (brushes, creams, and aftershaves).

I wouldn't bother with Ampersand, they are kind of overpriced compared to online shops.

I wouldn't bother with Ampersand, they are kind of overpriced compared to online shops.

Which online shops are you referring to? I'd like to check them out. The prices at Ampersand seemed exactly the same as any other shop I have found selling AOS, apart from when Amazon had soaps 50% off.

Which online shops are you referring to? I'd like to check them out. The prices at Ampersand seemed exactly the same as any other shop I have found selling AOS, apart from when Amazon had soaps 50% off.

You know what, I was looking at T&H stuff. I ended up ordering from Ashford.com

Maybe AOS is priced competetively.

I live in the southern suburbs and have a $50 gift card to Heimie's that I've been meaning to use for awhile. I don't have much inside info on local places to obtain good shaving gear, though, since I get most of my stuff online.

I do know that the Walgreens on Hwy 13 and Cliff Road carries the Pinaud line and a couple of brands of DE blades. :001_smile

carry KMF, Alba Botanica, Earth Science Azulene (a non-lathering cream that I think is great) and some others that are vegan, organic, fair trade, etc. They both also carry the much maligned Herban Cowboy soap. Seward also has a locally made shaving soap, but I haven't tried it.

However, I plan to make future purchases of KMF and Azulene from the place I buy vitamins from, Vitacost.com.
http://www.vitacost.com/productResu...pgSz=70&Ns=P_SoldQuantity|1&showAll=true&.y=9

They are 2-3 dollars under the co-ops.

Thanks men for the tip on Garden of Eden. I can stop by there over lunch from work.

Hiya - also from Minneapolis here.

There's also a new barbershop called "Floyd's" that just opened up on Lake & Fremont. I haven't been there yet to check out what they carry... being smack-dab in the middle of uptown my guess is they are going for a 'trendy' setting rather than a classic barbershop feel.

Top Bottom