What's new

CVS Old Spice knock off, similar to Shulton?

i have not had a shulton bottle in a long time...but on a whim i smelled the new OS and the CVS version side by side...the CVS version was much less powdery and spicier.

any of you guys with a shulton bottle know if it is close or not?

I have a Shulton bottle with 1988 on the box. The Shulton OS is noticeably spicier and less powdery than the current OS.

I have not tried the CVS brand. Never had the need or the want to try it. I may give it a go after my OS is empty.

The Shulton I use on rare occaisions. The bottle is still nearly full.

i have not had a shulton bottle in a long time...but on a whim i smelled the new OS and the CVS version side by side...the CVS version was much less powdery and spicier.

any of you guys with a shulton bottle know if it is close or not?

Well, according to our own ClubmanRob, the Dollar General version of OS is much closer to the classic than the P&G. Not sure if that goes for the CVS version, but I would venture to say that, yes. I would guess that most generic versions are probably made by the same company, just rebranded for whatever drugstore is selling it.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74858

Well, according to our own ClubmanRob, the Dollar General version of OS is much closer to the classic than the P&G. Not sure if that goes for the CVS version, but I would venture to say that, yes. I would guess that most generic versions are probably made by the same company, just rebranded for whatever drugstore is selling it.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74858

Gonna have to agree. I bought the $1Store version of OS labeled Regatta yacht club. It's mft'd by phoenix brands div/blue cross labs out in santa clarita, ca. Not only does it smell better but only cost me a buck!

Last edited:
Gonna have to agree. I bought the $1Store version of OS labeled Regatta yacht club. It's mft'd by phoenix brands div/blue cross labs out in santa clarita, ca. Not only does it smell better but only cost me a buck!

The Regatta Yacht Club variant is indeed the same formula as the Family Dollar/Dollar General OS I use. Or at least, it was the last time I tried it. If you see one manufactured by Vi-Jon or Phoenix Labs, it's all good.

The smell is not as strong as Schulton, but it's closer to Schulton than the current P&G Old Spice. It's on par with the Indian version of Old Spice.

I just picked up some "Men's Choice Spice Aftershave" at a dollar store based on what I've read here. Seven ounces for $1.39. It's Phoenix Labs stuff.

Now, I have to score some Shulton Old Spice Cologne...and a bottle to put the generic AS in.

It's very sad that us guys have to resort to a dollar store knock-off and eBay in order to get the great-smelling Old Spice we used to know and love. I remember the first bottle of the "new" P&G version I first purchased. I had always looked forward to going out and getting a fresh bottle of Old Spice after running out of it, coming home, uncorking and applying that awesome water to my face. Well, that first dreadful re-formulated odor hit my nostrils like "a face full of pampers", as someone else described. At first I thought it might just be me but after applying it for the next several days, I knew it was not the same as good old Shulton. I wrote P&G, thinking it might be a quality control problem. They sent me a pre-paid box and asked me to send it to them, which I did and in return, they sent me a free replacement. The replacement smelled just like the one I'd sent to them for analysis. A letter sent with the return box said that they had not changed the formula. I never heard another word from them (this was way back in the early 1990's). Still thinking it was me, I let it go. Now that I've found this board, I know countless other men are as bewildered and disappointed as I. If P&G would go back to a clipper ship glass bottle and sell the real McCoy Shulton recipe along with it, I would pay twenty dollars or more for a 9 1/2oz bouy of it. That's how much I want the stuff. But P&G will not even admit to tampering with the formula, so, I guess that's out. They surely must not realize how many men want and miss the shave lotion they were used to for so many years. I never went back to Coke when they did this but I sure as heck will if P&G switches back to the good formula. Whatever it is, something is different and it seems to have become worse as the years have gone by. Maybe they think we won't notice if they make subtle changes over time. It's like there was someone out there who hated Old Spice AS and bought the company that manufactured it and purposely set out to destroy it. Jeez. I'm very sad but fortunately still have plenty of Shulton stock. One of these days I hope to be able to go out and by it new off the shelf as in the days of yore.

I wrote P&G, thinking it might be a quality control problem. They sent me a pre-paid box and asked me to send it to them, which I did and in return, they sent me a free replacement. The replacement smelled just like the one I'd sent to them for analysis. A letter sent with the return box said that they had not changed the formula. I never heard another word from them (this was way back in the early 1990's). Still thinking it was me, I let it go. Now that I've found this board, I know countless other men are as bewildered and disappointed as I.

The same thing happened to me. I called P&G years back to find out the reason behind a reformulation, which the woman denied. "Nope", I said, and proceeded to list the ingredient variances between the Schulton, Old P&G and the then current P&G. She put me on hold for a while and then wanted to know where I got my sources. "Chemical analysis" I replied.

"You mean, like, you had a lab look at it?" (Like, fer sure! They even used test tubes!)

"Yep." She got my name and number and promised to call me back. It's been about ten years and I haven't received a callback yet. Thus began my long commitment to the harassment of corporate entities.

I wonder if someone like Mama Bear or SCS would be interested in trying to match the original Shulton formula. I would think that there's enough men on this forum to keep it profitable for them. I know I'd pay $20 a bottle for some.

I was just in a grocery store (Safeway) and noticed that the P&G OS cologne was in the clearance bin...seems that they were going to move to some other variation than "classic". At $4 for the 4.25 Oz bottle, I had to try it.

Plastic bottle, with a tiny clipper ship on it (no yacht, at least) and it's not bad... but, I can see where the "powdery" description comes in. I might try mixing some with the dollar store AS....

I have a Shulton bottle with 1988 on the box. The Shulton OS is noticeably spicier and less powdery than the current OS.

I have not tried the CVS brand. Never had the need or the want to try it. I may give it a go after my OS is empty.

The Shulton I use on rare occaisions. The bottle is still nearly full.

Good God man! Use it sparingly!:tongue_sm

The same thing happened to me. I called P&G years back to find out the reason behind a reformulation, which the woman denied. "Nope", I said, and proceeded to list the ingredient variances between the Schulton, Old P&G and the then current P&G. She put me on hold for a while and then wanted to know where I got my sources. "Chemical analysis" I replied.

"You mean, like, you had a lab look at it?" (Like, fer sure! They even used test tubes!)

"Yep." She got my name and number and promised to call me back. It's been about ten years and I haven't received a callback yet. Thus began my long commitment to the harassment of corporate entities.
Have you hear back from P&G, yet?!

I use the Family Dollar store knock-off (Vi-Jon) and it's fairly close to the old spice I remember in the 60's n 70's. I pour it into an old bottle I saved and I use it every day almost :)

whats the knock off brand at DG and is it at dollar tree as well?
It's at CVS or Family Dollar, not DG or DT. Below is the bottle from CVS. The one from FD is the same bottle with a different label.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454519219.110602.jpg

Vez - That's the Vijon version in your pic? I picked up the Shoprite brand (Vijon engraving on the bottom of the bottle) for $2 about 6 months ago. Call me nuts but scent wise I don't detect much difference (if any at all) with the current P&G version other than the Vijon doesn't last all day like the P&G.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting. My Vi-Jon bottle is right here and it has a captain's wheel embossed on one side and a compass on the other- no sailing ship.

AA

Vez - That's the Vijon version in your pic? I picked up the Shoprite brand (Vijon engraving on the bottom of the bottle) for $2 about 6 months ago. Call me nuts but scent wise I don't detect much difference (if any at all) with the current P&G version other than the Vijon doesn't last all day like the P&G.

I find the Vijon has a far less bright citrusy top note, which I find truer to the original Shulton. Both the P&G and Vijon base out to a spicy vanilla. I feel the Vijon is more reflective of the deeper and spicer formula of the original Shulton from top through base.

Top Bottom