What's new

S.R. Droescher Razor

I can find a few mentions about S.R. Droescher razors on B&B and elsewhere, but as I recently came into possession of one I'd like a few more opinions. This will -- potentially, of course -- be my introduction into the world of straight razors so I'd like to know a little more about this razor before I jump in.

First, some pictures (please forgive me):

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm not sure how useful these pictures will be, but I have a few questions. Was S.R. Droescher the manufacturer of this razor, or simply the distributor? I've seen other SRD razors held in high regards here and on other straight razor message boards, but does that esteem extend to most of SRD's offerings or just a few models? Also, is there any way to date when this razor was made?

It is generally in pretty good condition. There's some discoloration on the blade that's coming off slowly but surely. The top two pictures show the condition before I started polishing. Should I continue trying to get the discoloration off, or would it be better to let an expert take care of that? I'm afraid I've caused a few barely visible scratches from overzealous polishing.

There appears to be a very small knick about an inch from the top of the blade (you can see it in the first two pictures.) Will this be a problem or, assuming that I send it out to be honed, could something that small be honed away? Truthfully, I can't really tell if it's a knick or just discoloration, but I'll assume the worst.

I know this post may prompt a case of "too long; didn't read" but I'm excited to possibly enter the straight razor world, and I appreciate any help you can offer.

I have no idea about the razor, but that is a nick, and not a bad one at all. should be able to be honed out no problemo.

I like the look of it, and it is a German blade, so should serve you well for many decades. :biggrin:

Has even hone wear, and not much of it.

As for continuing your polishing, thats up to you. some people like the look of a few "age spots" some are happy with nothing less than a mirror finish. (I am somewhere in between)

I've had a couple of Droescher's and they are fine blades. A very good starter blade. Get the nick honed out and you've got yourself a good razor.

As a beginner though, I'd be careful of that spike point. It will bite.

I have a friend who has 2. They are beautiful razors and good shavers. The entry from the "Standard Guide To Razors" Third Edition, reads: "Droescher, S.R., Inc.; NY/Germany; 1916-1924". So, it's at least 85 years old. Send it out to be honed and get Bill Ellis's CD on razor restoration - then you'll be ready to have some fun!

I agree with jlander - you can't let your mind wander even for a moment with a spike!

The German made razor S.R. Droescher imported were fantastic. Peter Hahn was a Drescher owned trademark. They also produced razors in Cranford and later Cranbury New Jersey. Like most American razors of the late 18th and early 19th century, these were not quite the quality of the British or German products of the time. There is nothing left of their Cranford razor works, i plan to see if there is anything left of the Cranberry shop.

I can find a few mentions about S.R. Droescher razors on B&B and elsewhere, but as I recently came into possession of one I'd like a few more opinions. This will -- potentially, of course -- be my introduction into the world of straight razors so I'd like to know a little more about this razor before I jump in.

First, some pictures (please forgive me):

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm not sure how useful these pictures will be, but I have a few questions. Was S.R. Droescher the manufacturer of this razor, or simply the distributor? I've seen other SRD razors held in high regards here and on other straight razor message boards, but does that esteem extend to most of SRD's offerings or just a few models? Also, is there any way to date when this razor was made?

It is generally in pretty good condition. There's some discoloration on the blade that's coming off slowly but surely. The top two pictures show the condition before I started polishing. Should I continue trying to get the discoloration off, or would it be better to let an expert take care of that? I'm afraid I've caused a few barely visible scratches from overzealous polishing.

There appears to be a very small knick about an inch from the top of the blade (you can see it in the first two pictures.) Will this be a problem or, assuming that I send it out to be honed, could something that small be honed away? Truthfully, I can't really tell if it's a knick or just discoloration, but I'll assume the worst.

I know this post may prompt a case of "too long; didn't read" but I'm excited to possibly enter the straight razor world, and I appreciate any help you can offer.

Top Bottom