What's new

Korean double edge blades?

Korean double edge blades? I checked out a "Family Dollar" store for blades today and they had Korean made double edge blades. They were in generic packaging.

I picked up some Korean made blades from K-Mart for my son a while back. He doesn't have enough experience with others to be a good judge, but I've been meaning to try one. I'll grab one this weekend and post my impressions.

Based on my experience (10+ blades), don't be too quick to judge. They really settle in after the first shave.

Edit to add: I am referring to the Korean blades from Family Dollar. I have not yet tried the DORCO labeled blades.

There was a thread a while back involving a lawsuit, and Dorco was mentioned as supplying re-packaged blade for a number of places. K-Mart was mentioned, but I don't recall any other retailers.

Ah! Here's the thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46624

The Family Dollar blades are likely Dorco 300 or silmilar blades, based on my limited experience with both.

I ordered 50 of the ST-300 blades on Ebay for about $6 shipped. I'd read a post here where Dorco Korea responded to a query saying the ST-300 and ST-301 were the same quality, with different packaging.

Since then I've dug deeper (thanks, Google!) and there are some pretty strong indications that there is a difference between the two beyond packaging. When viewed under a microscope, the 301s have a cleaner edge, according to at least one source.

Who knows, it might be the same blade getting an edge on two different machines?

Since the same seller lists the 301s for the same price, I'll probably try them next. In the mean time, I'm finding the 300s give me the proverbial "close, comfortable shave" so I'm happy with what I got.

the 301 is a good daily blade. much sharper and smoother than the 300. i also LOVE the fact that the razor is wrapped clean, without glue.

i love the gillette yellow sharpedge blades but they put not one, not two, not three, but FOUR spot of glue on the blades...after double wrapping it to begin with. it's annoying as hell and if you're not careful, a real hazard.

the for money, the ST301's are pretty darn good. the 300's, not so much.

the 301 is a good daily blade. much sharper and smoother than the 300. i also LOVE the fact that the razor is wrapped clean, without glue.

i love the gillette yellow sharpedge blades but they put not one, not two, not three, but FOUR spot of glue on the blades...after double wrapping it to begin with. it's annoying as hell and if you're not careful, a real hazard.

the for money, the ST301's are pretty darn good. the 300's, not so much.

+1 to everything here. The Dorco ST-301's are decent, 3-day blades.

The Gillette yellows are much better performing, if you can get around the glue, but twice the price.

Regards.

J

These were the first blade I used, and were great my first shave about 6 months back. Since, i've tried Red IPs, Derbys, and Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows, and the Korean Family Dollar pack has been better than all except the 7 O'clocks, with which I feel it has been equal to. These have all been in my HD, and I have yet to try a Feather, but I am very happy with these Korean Family Dollar blades and will continue using them

I dont like to drag up old threads, but i brought a siansburys pack of blades today. and to confirm they are dorco 301s i have yet to try them but will post in the relevant review section when it becomes time..

**hopefully they will be the ST-301 which is better than the ST-300.

check 'em out.

Barry

Ironically, the ST-300's give me a BBS every time in my 40's style SS. It is by far the easiest BBS that I have gotten with any other razor/blade combination. That said, this is the only razor that the ST-300s give me this type of shave.

Very interesting blade the ST-300.

R

rainman

I use the Dorco ST-300's to test out new razors. Gentle and smooth but still get the job done. Offcourse, I use aggressive razors which might explain my love for this blade.

Top Bottom