What's new

Any WOOL bedding fans here?

I was just wondering how many of you guys (and girls) sleep on wool.

B&B is about finding things that work and work well regardless of their price and / or popularity and sharing info with others, so here we go.

As a part of my pursuit of a healthier (and happier) life I recently bought myself a European merino wool bedding. No, not one of those overpriced (and over-hyped) sets that go for around $1000.

It only cost me about $80 (that is: eighty bucks). $25 mattress pad (90 x 200 cm or 3.0 x 6.6 feet), $55 blanket (160 x 200 cm or 5.2 x 6.6 feet). I got a pillow for free (my parents got it as a gift when they bought a full wool bedding set 10 yrs ago) but they start from around $15-20. I got all three items from different makers :smile:.

It turned out I was not prepared for the experience. I must admit I was totally shocked. I've never slept better in my whole life! Amazing.

I fell into a deep sleep so quickly and had a sweat-free and very relaxing sleep. FYI, I sweat like a room humidifier, even during the night. But not anymore :smile:.

My blood circulation at night seems to be doing great. Wool heats you up quickly and keeps you warm (actually, it let's your body maintain the right temperature). When I wake up my skin is slightly reddish indicating the muscles are full of blood (it looks very similar after jogging). I get up and I'm ready for a shave :smile:.

They say that wool keeps you warm in winter and cold in summer. I assure you that the former is true so no reason for me to believe that the latter is not. We will see in the summer.

I sleep only in boxer shorts as the wool is so pleasant to the skin, it kind of gives you a nice massage.

And it's the same every single time. I'm amazed it actually works. It's like with shaving - I can't wait 'till the next time. I know it all sounds strange but it's hard to explain unless you've tried it. It's been one of the highlights for me this year. I'm hooked for the rest of my life.

Here's what my blanket looks like (image taken from the manufacturer's auction):
proxy.php

The fiber length is 16 mm (0.63 inch) so it's fairly short compared to the more expensive ones but surprisingly, it's not itchy at all.

The edges are very soft, basically just too layers of wool fabric joined with a simple stitch that's hidden, it does not protrude from the edges and makes no contact with your neck or cheeks. Other wool blankets have this trim or fixing around that's much stiffer which I thought could irritate my skin so I went with the one on the picture.

Although it's quite thick at 1000 GSM (grams per square meter, that equals to 1.8 pounds per square yard) you can almost see through this blanket. And yet it puts to shame my sleeping bag filled with HollowFiber by DuPont as the wool keeps me warmer.

In a word, it's another natural wonder from The Creator Himself (just like alum deodorant and million other things we enjoy so much). No jokes here, my appreciation to God for creating sheep has been recently elevated to a whole new level... :lol:.

Oh, the part I forgot to mention. Wool spoils you quickly and you develop WEAD (Wool Everything Acquisition Disorder) in no time :lol:.

Right now I'm thinking of buying some (ridiculously expensive) wool T-shirts (remember? I sweat a lot...), wool hooded bathrobe, other wool clothes... and a wool sleeping bag so that you can sleep like a king wherever you go (yes, it gets THAT addictive). Companies like Icebreaker will take care of your free cash if you've got no idea what to do with it.

BTW, here's a decent article on wool (sure, there are other more independent sources but this was the one I had at hand).

If you also sleep on wool (which I highly recommend unless you're allergic to it) let me know how you feel.

If you don't, let me know what you think, anyway! :wink:

If this post helps even one person find a way to a better sleep it was well worth the time I took to write it.

Take it as another form of "Thank you" for introducing me to DE shaving :smile:

I like jersey cloth and flanel sheets, but have never tried wool. I do like my merino wool sweater, so I imagine I would like a wool blanket. Who was the seller of your blanket?

Wool definatly has its place, it is great in the wet weather nothing like it.

It may be less expensive in the long run wrapping yourself in sheep :lol:

You may even start a fashion trend.

so I imagine I would like a wool blanket. Who was the seller of your blanket?

perry, you definitely would! :smile:

I bought it here in Poland from Columbus.

Their website is nothing to write home about but their beddings are something to make you homesick.

I've never heard of them before. I only new the names of the companies selling their stuff with hefty price tags.

They also sell their stuff via Allegro.pl (the biggest online auction service in Poland). That's where I bought mine.

If you need any help, let me know.

I have been slowly phasing out my synthetic base and mid layers for wool for my camping kit. I was always leery of it for weight, dry time and itch but had to resort to it while in New Zealand.

Everything negative I heard was thrown out the window while on the trail and I couldn’t be happier. I had not considered it for bedding, I will have to look into this.

Retrodig, as far as stuff from Icebreaker goes, I own the Tech Top and a set of the leggings. Both are 260 weigh (Icebreaker rates them as base layers for cold to very cold conditions, I use the top as a mid layer camping and by itself for out in town use) they have both functioned amazingly well in keeping me warm and moving perspiration off my body both hiking, standing watch, wandering about town, or just sitting around the house. I can not recommend this company high enough, some of the stuff may seem spendy but I have no doubt that I will be using it for years to come.

I have one of those big, heavy Pendleton wool blankets and I love it, but I never thought about wool sheets. What an interesting concept.

Tim

Hi royalcrown,

It's cool (or rather "warm") to hear that you like your wool clothes :smile:. I gotta give them a shot.

And, yeah, I'd like to visit New Zealand some day.

I never thought about wool sheets. What an interesting concept.
Tim

Hi Tim,

The thing is that it works best if you have all three. To be honest, I started just with a mattress pad (or mattress cover or sheet or under blanket or whatever you wanna call it :smile:).

The fairly thin mattress pad alone made such a huge difference that I did some research and ordered the blanket almost right away.

It's the same with shaving. You can use a quality cream or soap with your best badger brush and get away with a Fusion-Illusion. But you will get the best results with a DE or a str8.

Maybe good wool is different but I never fell in love with issue Army blankets and that is pretty much my experience with wool bedding. Not bad just not as nice as sleeping under a nice fleece electric blanket.

Maybe good wool is different but I never fell in love with issue Army blankets and that is pretty much my experience with wool bedding. Not bad just not as nice as sleeping under a nice fleece electric blanket.

The difference betwen the govt issue wool blankets and merino wool is the differnece between a disposable good news & canned goo to what ever you are using for wet shaving now.

I am pretty sure the last of those blankets were made around the WWI and "new" ones are made of the from the dust bunnies swept up in boot camp/basic training.

I have a wool mattress pad that I purchased because of its insulating properties. I have a memory foam mattress that gets very hot in the summer, and the wool pad keeps it cool. It's wonderful in the winter too.

I also have a very old, very thick 100 % wool blanket that used to belong to my parents and it's still in excellent condition. I love that blanket, it is soooo warm.

I've never used wool bedding, but it sounds intriguing.

I'm a major fan and proponent of wool clothing; wool socks are of course necessary, and thin wool slacks are the ultimate in summer if you need to look dressy - with thicker wool slacks of course being excellent for the same in cold weather. A good wool overcoat will keep you dry for a long time, and even once it starts soaking through, it will keep the water away from your skin. I live in a rainforest, and my (almost ankle-length) wool balmaccan is NECESSARY for survival about 6 months of the year. Of course, everyone knows that wool sweaters rule.

I've been considering spending the extra cash and rotating into wool underlayers as well. I'll have to pick up some stuff and see how it goes. I'll have to keep the bedding in mind, now, as well.

Gave up on blankets 35 years ago when I got my first duvet. I have a down one now. The hollofibre just doesn't do it!

As for wool clothing, can't beat it. My everyday jacket is a New Zealand Swanndri Rover and when it gets colder i have a proper British wool Gloverall duffle coat, old Royal Navy style. Lovely!

Add a wool Guernsey jumper and you're toastie!

Gareth

I use to use an old wool blanket issued by the Wabash Railroad when my great-grandfather use to work for them. Incredibly warm but not very comfortable when a sheet wasn't used in between. Don't use it much now but still keep it for sentimental reasons. Will use in a pinch.

Where is a place to buy a sheet set like you mentioned in the US?

Tim, I'm trying as hard as ever to find it but no luck so far. Everything I found is seriously overpriced.

It's strange. In Poland I can get this stuff real cheap.

I should get one quote tomorrow so I'll let you know.

Tim, I'm trying as hard as ever to find it but no luck so far. Everything I found is seriously overpriced.

It's strange. In Poland I can get this stuff real cheap.

I should get one quote tomorrow so I'll let you know.

Thanks I appreciate you taking the time.

I am a huge fan of wool. If you find how to get these in the US, I'm in.

Its more sad than funny, but I wonder if the US trend towards technical fibers plays a role in pricing? I was in Argentina a short time ago, and met quite a few people concerned about the decline of the wool industry. They said that demand for wool was going down as demand for technical fibers was rising.

Top Bottom