What's new

Classic Album Discussion - Every Picture Tells A Story

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This is the 1971 release from Rod Stewart. Whatever you may think of Rod the Mod, this release is certainly a stellar one. Of course, it contains the AM radio stable "Maggie May". But the album goes so much deeper with the gorgeous "Mandolin Wind" and "Tomorrow Is Such a Long Time" and the rockin' travelogue of the title cut as well as Rod's nod to Elvis with a cover of "That's All Right" as well as the Motown cover of "(I Know) I'm Losing You." Every track a nugget.

A five-star album in Rolling Stone's Album Guide. Rod Stewart's 1971 classic Every Picture Tells A Story.

Front Cover:

full

Song Line-Up:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Bob, a truly great/classic album. Many wonderful songs that conjures up so many fond memories. But 71? Man I must be getting old seems like only yesterday.....thanks for reminding me though, and I will now have to dig it out of my music library for a listen.

Cheers,

Adam

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Adam, I was listening to it as I was writing it. It will be worth the effort of digging it out of your music library.

When this album came out, Rod Stewart immediately staked his claim to being the premier English blues singer. In terms of sheer soulfulness, the only other singer of the era from that side of the Atlantic who came close was Van Morrison. Curiously, Van went more and more deeply into the blues while Rod moved away from them. Both have had enormously successful careers as a solo performer over the last nearly 40 years. :w00t:

This album was, in my opinion, the high water mark of Rod's career. He infused soulfulness into every song and even through in a bit of wit with lines like, "I been meanin' to phone ya from Minnesota." Rod wore it well. Best, Sam

Until Bob recommended this album, my exposure to Rod the Mod had been limited to his late 70s dreck. So I "sourced" the tracks on the 'net and listened to the album while digging myself out of an abundance of snow. Wow! The superlatives - masterpiece, timeless - heaped on the album are certainly merited. Particularly enjoyable are the cover of Dylan's "Tomorrow is a Long Time" and "I Know I am Losing You."

Rod Stewart is one of the great talents gone bad. If he could have stayed with The Faces who knows what could have been?

Man, do I miss having Ronnie Lane about.

Top Bottom