What's new

Classic Album Discussion - Surfer Rosas

One of 1988's best albums, no mean year for seminal recordings, The Pixies' Surfer Rosa acts as a bridge between hardcore punk and grunge. The muscular and often ferocious music combined with taboo lyrics (mutilation, molestation, voyeurism and superheroes to name a few of the themes) yield an album which is perverse, menacing and compelling. Twenty years after its release Surfer Rosa and its thunderous guitars, raging lyrics and stunning melodies stands my test of time and remains a challenging, rewarding album. Dust it off, give it a spin and try not to be sucked in by “Bone Machine,” “Gigantic” or “Cactus.”

Thoughts?

Coming in at #311 on Rolling Stones' 500 Greatest of All Time, The Pixies Surfer Rosa

full

1. Bone Machine
2. Break My Body
3. Something Against You
4. Broken Face
5. Gigantic
6. River Euphrates
7. Where Is My Mind?
8. Cactus
9. Tony's Theme
10. Oh My Golly!
11. Vamos
12. I'm Amazed
13. Brick Is Red
14. Caribou
15. Vamos
16. Ilsa de Encanta
17. Ed Is Dead​

Last edited by a moderator:
Henry, thanks for posting this album for discussion. Unfortunately, I was a bit too young to really even know about this album in 1988, but after hearing of Nirvana for the first time in the early 90's it didn't take me long to run across this album.

Quite frankly, this album changed my musical tastes forever. Even today, I get just giddy every time I give this precious album a listen. And my god, does it get any better than the duo of Frank Black (er, Black Francis) and Kim Deal on vocals? I was saddened in later Pixies' albums when Kim didn't get as much mic time, she was in my opinion the glue that held this band together. Without the Pixies there wouldn't have been a grunge movement. #311 on RS top 500 is a slap in the face to this ablum, IMHO.

Henry, thanks for posting this album for discussion. Unfortunately, I was a bit too young to really even know about this album in 1988, but after hearing of Nirvana for the first time in the early 90's it didn't take me long to run across this album.

Quite frankly, this album changed my musical tastes forever. Even today, I get just giddy every time I give this precious album a listen. And my god, does it get any better than the duo of Frank Black (er, Black Francis) and Kim Deal on vocals? I was saddened in later Pixies' albums when Kim didn't get as much mic time, she was in my opinion the glue that held this band together. Without the Pixies there wouldn't have been a grunge movement. #311 on RS top 500 is a slap in the face to this ablum, IMHO.

I wholly agree in general and especially that #311 is an insult. The album and those it inspired had a profound affect on rock which continues to shape music 20 years later. And no, it doesn't get much better than Black Francis and Kim Deal.

When I first heard SURFER ROSA in '88 I thought it was a cacophonic mess of an album. I really couldn’t make sense of anything that was going on. I’d listened to the likes of Husker Du, Black Flag and the Meat Puppets before that, but even through the noise, those guys didn’t really mess around too much with song structure. The Pixies took the concept of the “pop song” and turned it on its head. Then sliced it up and pieced it back together. Then they turned it on its head again. Fascinating. But it wasn’t until I went back to SURFER ROSA after getting to know DOOLITTLE did I really start beginning to appreciate what they were doing. Though from the first time I’d heard “Where is My Mind?” it became one of my favorite songs of all time.

I just happened across “Holiday Song” (from COME ON PILGRIM) a few days ago on an MP3 mix, and I just start thinking… what UFO brought these cats to Earth? What conditions gave birth to this sonic maelstrom? The Beach Boys sunny tunefulness tackled by Punk Rock’s violence and knee-dropped by Ska’s kick-up-your-boots call to dance. The Jesus and Mary Chain across the Atlantic started off in similar territory, owing an equal debt to the Beach Boys and noise-meisters like Husker Du and Mission of Burma. But the Pixies were American, and that grit and sweat is apparent in every note they played. The Brits were always so pristine with their angst (i.e., the Smiths, New Order). We had bands that bled distortion... going back to The Stooges, Pere Ubu, up through early Black Flag and MOB, the industrial clanging of The Swans and Big Black, though Sonic Youth, and yes, their label-protégés Nirvana. But the Pixies were a vital link in that chain. The rich history of US Indie rock would be a much emptier place without the classic SURFER ROSA

-Mason

The rich history of US Indie rock would be a much emptier place without the classic SURFER ROSA

Extremely well said! i can't think of a post '88 record in my collection that hasn't been affected by the pixies.

this record is so rich and dense, i understand completely the idea that upon first listen it makes no sense, hearing only distortion. it's the melodies underneath that come through that keep listeners coming back and the pixies were masters of that!

i can't tell you my favorite 3 songs off of this record, there is at least five, however that list would kick off with "Something Against You" both the record version and the live version, yet very different are both terrifyingly riotous/melodic and energetic in way that even punk rock couldn't provide.
which in my opinion comes from that same richness and density, and overall artistry.

I'm glad mason mentioned "the jesus and mary chain" because i don't think i would have understood them if i hadn't listed to Pixies, and i also agree that Surfer Rosa is a record that is comprehended better after hearing doolittle. for instance i wouldn't recommend Surfer Rosa to someone who hadn't heard the pixies before. i would recommend Doolittle.

Great pick Henry!

The one thing that annoyed me is that when Warners (Electra?) remastered and reissued the albums back in the 90's, they split up COME ON PILGRIM and SURFER ROSA, which were on the same CD on 4AD. So, I had to track down the original 4AD release, still have it.

-Mason

Seminal album; seminal band. I loved The Pixies and managed to catch them live a couple of times before they split up (first time around).

Great album, great band. Frank Black and Kim Deal are two of the best musicians rock music has ever had.

Extremely well said! i can't think of a post '88 record in my collection that hasn't been affected by the pixies.

this record is so rich and dense, i understand completely the idea that upon first listen it makes no sense, hearing only distortion. it's the melodies underneath that come through that keep listeners coming back and the pixies were masters of that!

i can't tell you my favorite 3 songs off of this record, there is at least five, however that list would kick off with "Something Against You" both the record version and the live version, yet very different are both terrifyingly riotous/melodic and energetic in way that even punk rock couldn't provide.
which in my opinion comes from that same richness and density, and overall artistry.

I'm glad mason mentioned "the jesus and mary chain" because i don't think i would have understood them if i hadn't listed to Pixies, and i also agree that Surfer Rosa is a record that is comprehended better after hearing doolittle. for instance i wouldn't recommend Surfer Rosa to someone who hadn't heard the pixies before. i would recommend Doolittle.

Great pick Henry!

What is funny is that I came to the Pixies after I was a JAMC fan. I got turned on to them right before "Automatic" came out and absolutely loved them. Someone recommended I check out the Pixies, and I am eternally thankful for that. This album is just wow. It gets no better than "Gigantic". Kim Deal just rocks. Again, its a shame she didn't get as much attention on later Pixies albums.

I think that is why their later albums weren't nearly is good. I can think of few songs I enjoy more than Gigantic.

id like to point out here that the later pixies records were phenomenal, and only in comparison to to first few records, are they not up to par.

id like to point out here that the later pixies records were phenomenal, and only in comparison to to first few records, are they not up to par.

Quite right. The later recordings pale only in comparison to the first ones. Everything they recorded up to and including Trompe Le Monde is exceptional. But Surfer Rosa is definitive Pixies. Perhaps because it is so abrasive and challenging it is more rewarding. I remember being just blown away the first time I "got it."

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Of course, I have heard of the Pixies but I never really gave them a listen. The great thing about these Discussions is the chance to learn something new about classics that are unknown to me. That is why Henry and Shane are such a great asset. C'mon folks. Pet Sounds to Surfer Rosas. What's next? Logically, it would seem like something from the Butthole Surfers. :wink:

I went to itunes and listened to a bit of Where is My Mind? Am I way off base here or do I hear a bit of Lou Reed/Velvet Underground influence in there?

I will definitely give a listen to some more of the songs and add some to my library.

Nice work Henry. :smile:

I love this album, not a bad track on it! Kim Deal's bass playing is way underrated and Frank Black's guitars complement her playing quite well. Layered instrumentation that was way ahead of it's time.

I went to itunes and listened to a bit of Where is My Mind? Am I way off base here or do I hear a bit of Lou Reed/Velvet Underground influence in there?

Nice ear johnniegold!

your comment reminded me of a track on Come on Pilgrim (which was pointed out that has been released on the Surfer Rosa LP thus justifiably relevant) "I've Been Tired" where Frank Black tells a ridiculous story...

She's a real left winger 'cause she been down south
And held peasants in her arms
She said "I could tell you a story that could make you cry"
"What about you?"
I said "Me too"
"I could tell you a story that will make you cry"
And she sighed "Ah"
I said "I wanna be a singer like Lou Reed"
"I like Lou Reed" she said sticking her tongue in my ear

"Let's go, let's sit, let's talk"
"Politics go so good with beer"
"And while we're at it baby, why don't you tell me one of your biggest fears?"
I said "Loosing my penis to a whore with disease"
"Just kidding" I said
"Losing my life to a whore with disease"
She said "Excuse me please?"
I said "Losing my life to a whore with disease"
I said "Please... I'm a humble guy with a healthy desire"
"Don't give me no **** because..."

I've been tired

"Without the Pixies there wouldn't have been a grunge movement" -jkh

What a tragedy that would have been.

GB

p.s. nirvana's "the man who sold the world" was okay.

Of course, I have heard of the Pixies but I never really gave them a listen. The great thing about these Discussions is the chance to learn something new about classics that are unknown to me. That is why Henry and Shane are such a great asset. C'mon folks. Pet Sounds to Surfer Rosas. What's next? Logically, it would seem like something from the Butthole Surfers. :wink:

I will definitely give a listen to some more of the songs and add some to my library.

Thank you! I am really enjoying being a part of this.

You do hear a bit of of The Velvet Underground. Not only do they reference Lou Reed in "I'm Tired" as Josh noted, but also listen to "Velvety Instrumental Version" on the album Dig for Fire. It truly is Velvety.

The Pixies are not an easy band to play "if you like x, you'll like y"

Even though I do see them as a link in a chain, there were very few bands that one could say, yea, the Pixies really took a lot from them. A few of them, defiantely Pere Ubu, Husker Du, Wire, Gang of Four, VU, and yes, the Beach Boys and the Beatles. They were definately a melting pot. However, if you're looking for bands that came after the Pixies that were influenced by them, probably the first place to start would be Spoon. Esp. their early stuff. But to be honest, there aren't many bands doing heavy indie rock that didn't pick up something from The Pixies. They continue to influence and fascinate thousands of indie rockers all over the world.

Thank you! I am really enjoying being a part of this.

You do hear a bit of of The Velvet Underground. Not only do they reference Lou Reed in "I'm Tired" as Josh noted, but also listen to "Velvety Instrumental Version" on the album Dig for Fire. It truly is Velvety.

if you're looking for something "Velvety" that you might have missed along the way, check out the 3 albums by Galaxie 500 from the late 80's.. It don't get much more Velvety than those three quiet but majestic records.

Top Bottom