What's new

Newbie check-in

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
G'day,

I guess this thread would be the best way to introduce myself as suggested by the Administrator. I didn't read any other "introduction" thread so I have no idea if I will be doing this right but I think if I give a little background, it should be right...

First, I am a French Canadian now living in Melbourne, Australia. So, it might be possible that I write stuff that doesn’t make sense. If it’s the case, let me know, I will work on it! Second, Oz is awesome!

I think you know a bit about me, now I will go to the shaving experience.

My first shaver was a Braun electric foil shaver. I was always getting razor burns with that thing, started at 16 and abandoned it very quickly. I had the alcohol aftershave - Home Alone moments after every shave... I do not remember the model but it was a very very basic shaver. You could switch it On, or... Off, that is it. It was black and I had to plug it since it was not battery operated. It was pinching the skin if I was pressing with it. Thinking about it now, it had great qualities to discourage me from shaving and pushing me to grow a beard…

Following this, my dad thought it might be good to take me to wet shaving. He was always a dry shaver and still his. I think he does wet shaving twice a year. I know that he knows how to do it (with lather and a Mach3) but he thinks it is a waste of time. Anyways, my first razor was a Gillette Mach2 (yeah old and it was gray). I think my parents still have it somewhere at their house. I left it there in case of an emergency when I was going to see them.

The shaving cream was the good old chemical gel can. I think I used Edge and then switched to Gillette, went back to Edge, went back to Gillette and finally ended up with Nivea. All, sensitive skin of course. I have been using those for, maybe the past 15 years now...

The aftershave was always Gillette sensitive or Nivea sensitive with low or no fragrances. Following the alcohol aftershave incidents, I tried to keep it without alcohol.

I used a straight razor with disposable blades maybe 5 years ago. I gave some free blood donations a bit, as I was doing it on my own without any knowledge. I was only using it on the weekend since it was taking me too much time to shave. I do not have that razor anymore and have no idea which brand it was. Being in the same vein (ha ha – ironic - shaving with a cutthroat razor), I decided to get a shaving brush (the 1.99 brush at the grocery - Wilkinson sword) and shaving soap (the grand-pa stuff - Wilkinson sword at the grocery again).

I never knew how to make lather and I always shaved with some white water that looked like diluted water… I now know how to make lather (Thanks Mantic and Youtube).
I upgraded my Mach2 to a Mach3 eventually and still have the Mach3. Great razor (well I thought). I used that one for the last 5 years with the fake cutthroat razor.

A couple weeks ago, I decided to change all my shaving equipment to go back to basics. What made me change? It was not Sweeney Todd however, funny story. I was at the cinema after a movie in the toilet (you know, they always serve you a bucket as a drink so you either cross a leg for half the movie or you go pee and miss the bad guy killing the good guy's girlfriend). So, I was in there and I saw an ad on the wall for shaving oil. Since I drank a bucket, I had time to read the whole thing, even the small print. My mom was telling me about it for the past 10 years (not kidding) but I never tried it since there was only one brand available at the pharmacy (Somerset I think) and I always thought that if I do not have a choice, it must be bad...

I read the ad and it was explaining how this Australian shaving oil had natural ingredients only versus a shaving gel with all the chemicals. I will check where I bought it, I disremember the brand, unfortunately. Since I try to buy organic food and eat healty food, I thought I should treat my face the same way. So this was the beginning of the shaving revolution.

I went from the cinema to the grocery to get some shaving oil. The advertisement said, "Find it in Coles stores". The bottle said that I would use this 15ml for months and I will not need any shaving gel/foam/soap anymore. I hoped for $7.95 (AUD). I tried it, the bottle lasted for 2 weeks. Then, I got online and find this girl's blog talking about shaving oils (http://mandypandys.blogspot.com/2008/05/pacific-shaving-company-shaving-oil.html). I thought the comparison with canola oil was gold. So from there, I decided to create my own shaving oil. I did and I am still using the first batch. I feel a difference with my razor when I use the oil, for me, it works. From what I understand, it will not necessarily make a difference for everyone. I do not know what happened with the $7.95 bottle but I am not nearly finished my homemade shaving oil... I use something like a 10 cents (American/Canadian) or 5 Cent (Australian) for every shave. I did it in a 100ml bottle. I reckon I still have a good 90ml in there. At that rate, it should last a year or so. My girlfriend also use it to shave her legs…

Next step was to get rid of my Mach3 so I went to good old Shaver Shop and bought a Weishi. Now, they did not seem to have any knowledge on their DE razors. I asked for a butterfly and was given a 3 pieces. I gave it back asking for a real butterfly. I was tempted to ask for a 3 pieces and expecting a butterfly but I thought I should not push it. After all, I should blame my accent for it. BUT-HER-FLY vs TRI-PEE-CES. Anyhow, I got a Weishi, good and basic for a beginner. I have the Weishi razor blades, Merkur and Wilkinson sword. I am in the process of finding the right blade for me. I got some Derby, Feather and Astra on the way.

I will keep you updated about the shaving soap as my Wilkinson sword will have a premature end. Next Saturday I will go to the farmer's market and buy a handmade soap (no chemicals) by a lady that makes it. She started to work on a shaving soap since last October. The shaving soap is still is testing stage. From what I understood, it will be released soon as one of her regular soaps. I have been buying her regular soap for a while now but she recently started to make shaving soaps. Her soaps are very cheap and last long. The best bit, all natural ingredients, great for sensitive skins. I was really tempted by Col. Conk shaving soap but I found a Forum in German that was listing the ingredients and this is where I stopped. After consulting http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com I lost interest.

I got a new shaving brush, Omega Badger from the Shaver Shop. Expensive? Yes because it's the Shaver Shop. Better than a 1.99 Wilkinson Sword? Yes, no further comments.

I am in the process of getting another cutthroat razor with disposable blades to practice until I think I am good enough to go for the real deal. When I will be ready, I think that I will get a second hand real cut throat razor first so I do not kill a 200$ investment... I still have to do some researches about honing and the strop.

My next step is the aftershave. Now, I think an aftershave should be very simple and I think that I will have to make it (like the shaving oil) if I want it to be good. I will probably use aloe or witch hazel... I still have to work on the right formula because I want it to smell good... I am finishing my Nivea before I switch but I might get impatient and switch it before the end... I had a look at the Body Shop stuff and after checking the ingredients, well, I guess I am difficult now.

If you are still awake well, I guess I maybe did this right. I will try to contribute in the forum/reviews with the little experience I have. I am still getting razor burns with the Weishi, which is my fault because I am either applying pressure or doing long strokes. I am still working on that. I am finding new tricks at every shave on how to make it smoother. I am thinking about getting a Merkur Future or HD in a couple of months when I will get perfect shaves out of my Weishi.

The long-term plan is to shave with a cutthroat razor as much as I can. I think having a Merkur DE razor will be the travelling razor or the "a bit in a hurry" razor. However, I want to take my time on doing this because I think it is very enjoyable!

That is it for now. Thanks to the Administrator for this website and thanks all for the contribution, very helpful!

Cheers,
Luc

What a wonderful first post -- the first of many, I hope. A sincere welcome to B&B Luc. I wish you many great shaves ahead!

Welcome! I've been using a DE for only six months, so I am still a noobie also. All I can say is it only gets better from here! Enjoy your stay.:smile:

Yeah, what a post. And don't worry about writing stuff that doesn't make any sense. I often make little sense in my posts and I teach English literature and writing for a living. :biggrin:

Luc

Staff member
Thank you for your replies - I think the place is great and I will try to keep everyone posted on my success (or not) using all my new gizmos! Cheeres, LL

Luc

Staff member
G'Day,

Just though I should leave a note on my progress as this new hobby is taking more time in my morning routine.

Since I started, I am now able to acheive a zero irration shave. Following Mantic's Superlather video I've started to do my own mix and I have something quite superior to what I had before. I though the Proraso with Menthol was a bit rough as my face was numb quite a bit. However, cutting it with a glycerin soap helps a lot. To me, it's the perfect mixture.

I will be changing the Weishi soon as I am starting to think it is not aggressive enough. Following that other thread that I posted I think I will have to go for a Slant eventually but I still need to play with other razors before I get there as I do not want to end up like Sweeney Todd's victims...

I tried flipping my DE blade after each shaving for a bit and I think I can squeeze one extra shave out of it. Now, I do not know if it worth it for a shave but I guess I will do it since I am always taking the blade out before washing my razor (prevention is everything :001_rolle)

Finally, my next step will be to find a way to shave the right side like the left side. For some reason I am not able, yet, to get a shave as close on the right than the left.

Let's say it's more than just a semi-BBS but not quite BBS...

Cheers
Luc

Let's say it's more than just a semi-BBS but not quite BBS...
Patience is the key. It will just keep on getting better and better. And even if it didn't, semi-BBS is still quite good!

I tried flipping my DE blade after each shaving for a bit and I think I can squeeze one extra shave out of it. Now, I do not know if it worth it for a shave but I guess I will do it since I am always taking the blade out before washing my razor (prevention is everything :001_rolle)
Flipping the blade won't do anything. I guess it doesn't matter in your case if you do indeed wash your razor and take the blade out of it, just letting ya know. :wink:

I still need to play with other razors before I get there as I do not want to end up like Sweeney Todd's victims...

My ears are bruning.... lol. Its good to get some XP under your belt before slanting it up. Next step after that is a straight =P

Ummmm, I flip my blade too... I usually use Durby's. Since it has numbers 1-4. I place the number of the shave in the bottom left of my razor. This does effect my shaves as due to my strange facial hair I tend to use the left side of the razor more than the right on some spots of my face. Also... taking out the blade ran prevent rust on the blade / razor.

Luc

Staff member
No offence intended Mr. Todd!! :)

Yes, the straight is on the list, I use it once/twice a week. It will be a longer process since I will not do a daily shave with it. I guess I could always do it at night before bed until I am confident that I will do a good job in the morning before work.

Thanks all, I am getting there and will never go back to my Mach3!

Luc

Staff member
Yup, that's right, got it!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

After 6 passes, did I say 6, yes, it took a while and a lot of lather but I got it, not a single nick, irritation, burning sensation with the Alum block, nothing, perfect! Now I just need to find a way to drill this down from 6 to 2 or 3 passes.

Surprisingly, I had a used Dorco blade and I decided since it's Sunday (well, it is in Oz, living in the future...) I will take my time and do it properly or try to get there. I had to change the way of my passes a couple of time as it was pulling a bit, so instead of doing against the grain I went across the grain a couple of time. I think I will try it again with a new feather or Astra later this week. I am finishing my sample packs. I am scarded of going back to the Merkur blade but I am sure I can work something out of those.

Now, if I get this right, my beard is growing in circles since I shaved in 6 different directions... Anywho, best shave I had ever, I think, I think I feel reborn now... I will have another coffee to celebrate.

Thanks all for posting so many questions and so many answers that really really helped!! Have a great day!

Great stuff! After months, I still find yet another spot where my beard grows in a different direction than I had noticed before. I feel like I should do a photo, then mark it up in PhotoShop or something with directional arrows.

That said, BBS isn't always the goal. When I'm shaving before work, I just hope for cut/nick free and being presentable. :001_rolle

If I wanted BBS every day I would probably have to do eight passes - one for each of the cardinal and ordinal points of compass - assuming the receding hairline is north, adam's apple is south and the rest can be worked out.

I have patches that grow in different direction, I'm sure I have the odd whorl or two, which I could see if I let it grow.

I find that if I do three passes; N-S, E-W (and W-E on the other side) and S-N, I pretty much catch most of them, but even then those passes are not exactly ATG, WTG or XTG because I can have all three in one stroke.

If I wanted BBS every day I would probably have to do eight passes - one for each of the cardinal and ordinal points of compass - assuming the receding hairline is north, adam's apple is south and the rest can be worked out.

I have patches that grow in different direction, I'm sure I have the odd whorl or two, which I could see if I let it grow.

I find that if I do three passes; N-S, E-W (and W-E on the other side) and S-N, I pretty much catch most of them, but even then those passes are not exactly ATG, WTG or XTG because I can have all three in one stroke.

When I was on sub duty this is how my navigator sounded! :w00t::lol:

Luc, congrats on the BBS. If I did six passes then I would probably need an ambulance, not an alum block!

Top Bottom