What's new

Corked Blade

I corked a wal-mart Personna blade today, with a real cork. It was the smoothest shave I have had to date! Turned an irritating blade into a great shaver! I highly suggest corking a blade, it was a big breakthrough for me in getting a much closer and smoother shave! Ok, thats enough.... I'll stuff a cork in it!

The idea is to, in a sense, remove any microscopic faults in the blade. I just switch out a cork from one of my recently consumed wine or scotch bottles. Take your new blade and run each edge lightly through the cork 5-6 times, and that's it. It may not seem like much, but I've been doing it for a while, and I can tell a big difference in the smoothness of my shave passes. Give it a try!

Need to try it. I still just pop in fresh Feathers and go to town. I bet I notice a dif. on a corked Pella. Those things seem sharper than Feathers or I am still to aggressive with the Gem.

Sure ... I've got the cork already to go, but I'm still missing something.

How do I do this to prevent cutting my hands in the process? Do I mount the blade in the razor first? Hold it with a towel or a pair of pliers?

Is there a video or an illustration that shows this technique?-

How do I do this to prevent cutting my hands in the process? Do I mount the blade in the razor first? Hold it with a towel or a pair of pliers?

+1

Wear a gauntlet or be very careful. All you need to do is drag the beveled edge through the cork to knock off any micro-burrs. If the blade isn't true,( I have had one like this ), you should be able to tell from the feedback given from the cork. If I had done this, it would have saved me from a nasty cut. My first Persona blade was botched and I thought all of them were evil for a while.

seriously... if you are worried about cutting yourself, I would wear a leather glove in the hand that holds the cork. No, it is not 100% cut proof but it is better than what I would use, nothing.

I got my camera fixed today, so I will show how to do the corking the way I did it. I basically held the middle of the blade (where the cutout is) and sliced the cork just a few millimeters to make sure the whole beveled edge was going through cork. Did it twice each side, once each direction. I will get some pictures on here tonight for all of you guys. Or I will make a video and post it on youtube, or both!

Pliers! :w00t: but that is a bit overkill unless you are accident prone x 1,000
then use a vise or go try an electric. ( harmless joke inserted )

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I tried corking, just one gentle pass on each edge of a Feather blade on a wine cork. All I got was one dreadfully dull blade that pulled like crazy. I had to throw it out as unusable.

I took a 3/8" strip of corkboard tile (the kind you can pick up at craft stores . . . I always have some lying around) and glued it to a popsicle stick. It lives in my shaving cabinet, and I'm able to cork blades with minimal fuss due to its being easier to maneuver than a bottle cork.

I'm calling it . . .

Wait for it . . .

a corking bat.

*smirk*

Now, for the moment you've All been waiting for: Pics! The first one I am going to show you is how far you "slice" into the cork to smooth the edge, and the second will be how I personally hold the blade to do the corking.

Cork slice depth
View attachment 32282

How I hold the blade
View attachment 32283

I hope that these will help everyone who has questions about it. I am new to it myself, but I gave it one try and I am a true believer in the cork.

Top Bottom