What's new

Aja - Classic Album Discussion

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
It was a toss up as to which Steely Dan album to choose for this discussion. It was between Aja or Pretzel Logic. We can do Pretzel Logic another time. :wink:

For now, this album was and still is a favorite of mine. ( I am listening to it as I type.) The first side of this disc is as good as any in the annals of rock history. Black Cow, Aja, Deacon Blues. For me, this is Fagen and Becker at their best. Side Two is not so bad either. :biggrin: (Peg, Home at Last, I Got The News and Josie [she prays like a Roman with her eyes on fire]).

Now I know we all have our favorite Steely Dan albums (and there are many great ones) but let's try to leave this thread for Aja.

We'll get to the other ones. :biggrin:

For now, here is the 1977 classic by Steely Dan: Aja.

Remember 1977?

Elvis dies.
STAR WARS out on the big screen.
Electrical blackout in New York City.

Bonus Discussion:

The numbers reflected below are from 1977. If you had your choice, would you prefer to have the 1977 prices again and have to go through Disco again or go through the current fiscal dilemma without Disco. (Just trying to have a little fun, folks. :biggrin:)

Average Cost of new house $49,300.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 65 cents
Bikini $9.00
Renault Gordini $6998,00
BMW 320i $7990.00

My Answer:

Here is your $3.60 a gallon. Thank you, sir. May I have another? :lol:

Front Cover:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Never cared for Steely Dan, or Aja in particular. Suitable largely for keeping the institutionalized docile. In discussions with my better half, who obviously feels otherwise, the word "pap" keeps coming up.

I absolutely love the bass riff on Black Cow, and the entire bass line on Peg. Deacon Blues is fantastic too, even if the lyrics are a tad depressing ("They got a name for the winners in the world/I want a name when I lose"). I used to have this on a cassette tape along with Fagen's "Nightfly." Those both bit the dust in 1999 when they got chewed up.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Never cared for Steely Dan, or Aja in particular. Suitable largely for keeping the institutionalized docile. In discussions with my better half, who obviously feels otherwise, the word "pap" keeps coming up.

Hey... I resemble that remark. :tongue_sm

What a great album by one of the best recording bands ever. Steve Gadd is an absolute genius on the title track "Aja"

Love the Dan. Aja strikes me as a very good album. IMHO, the production is almost more striking than the songs. And there are some really good tunes on Aja. Black Cow to Josie, it is a great collection of radio tunes. That said, it is still probably only my third or fourth favorite Dan album. Aja lends itself to the more radio-friendly side of Steely Dan's music. Which isn't necessarily bad, it just isn't as interesting as their less friendly work. Give me Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic or even The Royal Scam and all is good in the world.

Are you familiar with the earlier Steely Dan albums? The earlier albums delved into uncharted territory on a regular basis, and you really didn't know what you were in for when you first dropped the needle in the groove (that's how old I am! :biggrin:). Defying your expectations was the rule of the day.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of Aja. This is where Steely Dan started moving into the formulaic soft-cool-smooth-pseudo-jazz style that also made Gaucho rather disappointing. This is the start of the point where, when you bought a Steely Dan or Donald Fagen album, you knew exactly what you were going to get, and you almost knew exactly what it would sound like, before you heard it.

A good album, but not Steely Dan's best, IMHO.

Oh, my. Aja. I remember listening to this in high school, thinking that all my friends who were listening to Def Leppard and the like were Philistines, totally tasteless neanderthals. Aja has to be one of the best rock ballads ever. Thanks for reminding me about it. Excuse me -- I have to go buy something on iTunes now.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of Aja. This is where Steely Dan started moving into the formulaic soft-cool-smooth-pseudo-jazz style that also made Gaucho rather disappointing. This is the start of the point where, when you bought a Steely Dan or Donald Fagen album, you knew exactly what you were going to get, and you almost knew exactly what it would sound like, before you heard it.

You're right about this, of course. I just can't get by where they ended up, much like the BeeGees, who had an outstanding discography right up to Saturday Night Fever, and (shudder) Sgt. Pepper
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

One of the faves. Great for sitting by the fire pit with an adult beverage and a bowl of......tobacco. Black Cow, Aja, Josie, and best of all Deacon Blues. What a great evening.

Well, this is the album that got me into the Dan. I was 16 when it was released. Have listened to it (and enjoyed it) in a few states of consciousness.

But, it hasn't held up all that well for me.

Make no mistake -- it's plenty good. I do think that side one is flawless. And I do enjoy Peg & Home at Last. On a 10 point scale (both relative to the Dan's other work or absolute), it's gonna rate at least an 8.

But, on the whole, today I prefer any of Thrill, Countdown, Katy, Scam or Gaucho.
(And, no, not Pretzel -- I'm really only fond of Major Dude & Barrytown from that album)

- Richard

P.S. - As regards the bonus discussion, I'd rather the $.65 gallon. I think back with a nostalgic smile on those polyester days. :redface:

One very good rock album. It will still be getting played long after everyone on this forum is gone. Recently bought a new-release 200 gram vinyl edition and it is without doubt, one of the best I own. Great production has been a hallmark of the Dan since its inception. The Steve Gadd and Wayne Shorter solo on AJA is amazing.

Wow, great memories with this one in High School. Echo a lot of the comments here. During the battle between Disco and Rock, this was a great alternative.

This was my "romance" album in HS. Memories of making out on basement sofas, hot tubs, campfires, etc.....

Well, it is pap. But, it is beautifully crafted pap. The 70's at its very best, IMHO. Aja is definitely one of my all-time favorite albums.

Tim

I really enjoy Steely Dan. Aja is quite a bit more mellow, but it is polished to perfection. Peg, Josie and Deacon Blues are clear favorites.

Aja as a whole, Sir Duke and Strawberry Letter 23 are among the few musical stars of 1977.

They were trying to make the perfect album and came pretty darn close.. I've read that Donald Fagan came close to having a nervous breakdown fretting about this album.

I'd say it was worth it.

They've always been my favorite "audophile" band.. I take my Gold MFSL cd of AJA whenever I go to test equipment. Though, sadly, it's been many years since stereo equipment has been in my budget..

Though I love all their stuff (I have the CITIZEN box set, a great economical way to buy all their 70's albums), the ROYAL SCAM/AJA/GUACHO trilogy contain my favorite Steely Dan music.

-Mason

One of my favorites. Oddly enough, this is also my best-smelling album of all time. Dunno if anyone else bought it when it was first released and understands what I'm talking about. I don't know what they did to the cardboard, but it was like sniffing mimeograph ink.

Aja is my favorite album of all time, and Steely Dan my favorite band. At least one of the Dan is from here NJ, not sure if it's Fagan or Becker. The title track is my favorite but they're all good, I especially enjoy the background vocals of The Doobie Brothers' Michael MacDonald on "Peg". There is a DVD from the Classic Albums series on the making of Aja, where they interview Steely Dan and all the studio musicians, and dissect the album track by track. Well worth watching, you can pick it up on Netflix.

Aja, Sticky Fingers, Born to Run, Who's Next, Imperial Bedroom, Fables of the Reconstruction...my tastes are stuck firmly in the mid-70s to mid-80s. What a prolific time for the music scene, great albums that will be enjoyed forever - I know it sounds cliche, but I wonder if today's generation knows what they are missing.

My local "classic rock" does a "Ten at Ten" every weekday. Today was 1977 and "Aja" was one of the 10 songs they played. This was my first Steely Dan album, but not my last. It still remains my favorite.

Randy

This albumn was a really big hit in Tuscaloosa when it was released. Alabama had a national championship and the Bear was at the top of his game.

Top Bottom